Macan 2.0 T vs Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Hello All - new here and seriously thinking of ordering a new 2.0T Macan - what's peoples thoughts on these versus the Petrol S? My thinking is that there isn't that much difference in performance with better MPG, insurance, lower price etc. It's just that having lurked around the forum for a bit, others don't seem to be talking the 2.0 up much?!

Thoughts would be great. The opportunity to get into a Porsche massively appeals and with a young family the Macan seems to make a fairly sensible (defendable to the other half) choice!

Thanks!

j5kol

Post by j5kol »

I have just taken delivery of a Petrol S after having a 2.0T loan for 4 months. In my opinion there is no comparison. The S is what i would describe as an out and out Porsche whereas i feel the 2.0T is a market filler. With the S you are getting ridiculous performance, similar mpg believe it or not (the 2.0T isn't all that great on fuel, low 20mpg on avg) and of course you get that distinctive exhaust tone from the S.

I would highly recommend you test drive both, be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

There is a pretty good reason why the 2.0 litre gets at best few few supporters, it is simply not worth it as a serious drivers car.

Whatever car you drive now, take 1/3 of its power away and what do you think it would be like to drive?

The 2.0 is a market filler to on paper boost the range mpg figures but in practice you have to really work the 2.0 tomake any progress.

The S is by far a better variant, its not perfect as it still has to push around a two tonne car but the engine is by far more responsive, especially in Sport mode.

Do test drive as many variants as you can, making a note of the extras that are included in the test cars plus take plenty of images, inside and out.

A typical S demo would probably have, 21” wheels, PASM, PS+, 18way seats, Leather interior, Xenon or LED lights, Pano roof, privacy glass, heated seats and SD mirrors as fitments all of which are extras.

Budget for list plus £8-10k to give a reasonably well kitted out Macan.

Good luck

BTW

Many on here are on their 2nd or 3rd Macan, I am unaware of any going with a 2.0 as their second or third Macan, that should tell you something.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Take everything you see here with a generous pinch of salt too!
A few on here are 2.0 owners and are extremely happy. It all depends what you want from the car (obvious Statement I know!)
It’s true that the list price difference isn’t quite big enough to make a compelling argument for the 2.0 - man maths can soon get you into the 3.0 S, especially if the car will be a” keeper”
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

If you want to use the car as a family run around rather than as a sporty car the 2.0 will be fine but doesn't give the car the same "Porscheness" as the larger engines. The 2.0 is, I believe, the same engine as used in the VW Golf and Audi Q5. It's also a 4 pot and not a 6 pot so will never be as smooth. As others have said it has to work very hard to lug around a 2 tonne vehicle so you wont see the economy you might expect.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

sorry I can t help on this one, I never ever considered the 2.0 as a potential option...
anyway, what is the most important is what is the best for YOU.
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, Sarge! :)

My Macan was a 2.0. I found it fine, but I moved on to a 911, wanting to experience owning a true Porsche sports car.

A big factor in me opting for the 2.0 rather than the S or SD was the waiting time. Back in late 2015, the wait quoted for a 2.0 was much shorter than for the S.

If ordering a new Macan now, and if not too worried about comparative wait times, I'd opt for the S (petrol) or a GTS.

I would definitely test drive a 2.0 and an S before placing your order. And as said above, in reality, you won't get much more MPG at all from the 2.0 compared to the S with the 3.0 V6. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Thanks all! I suppose it's all about where you approach from - I've defo come from 'I could actually get something nice as the family car' angle... Wasn't too fussed about amazing pace, but the answers have been useful, thanks (esp MPG). I'll talk to the dealer and see. My nearest is Chiswick - any ideas on how they are to deal with? Any chance of deals now or is it a case of always paying list on these?
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

If you get any discount at all, you'll be doing well. Virtually everyone on here has paid full list price (with the exception of a couple of serial Porsche buyers!). You might bag yourself a few freebies, but that will be probably about it. The plus side though, is that on the whole, Porsches do hold their value well, compared to other marques. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Our average mpg has been in the low 30s for the 9k we have done, can easily see mid 30s on a long motorway journey with family and luggage onboard

The engine does not need to be worked hard to make decent progress. Any car that does 0 to 60 in Under 7 seconds is no slouch and is a match for most cars on the road if that is what you are In to. We use it to transport our young family in comfort and has enough pace to have fun when you want. When you are sat at national speed limit on our busy roads, it is irrelevant what is under the bonnet and believe me, it still looks and feels like a Porsche

We did not consider the diesel as I hate the fuel and i could not justify a thirsty 3 litre engine In our family car.

The 2.0T suits our needs perfectly. I am in the lucky position that I can afford any of the Macans but chose the base model to meet a particular need we have at the moment given the family dynamic

You will find however that the vast majority of this forum does not like the base model.
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0