Transfer box failed

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:06 pm Surely one should expect a premium vehicle such as a Macan to have major mechanicals like engines, gearboxes, transfer boxes etc to last a min of 100,000 miles
Can’t argue with that. Well obviously Porsche can.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Well, it looks like I'm going to be joining the "failed Transfer Box" section of the forum! The car has all the classic symptoms. OPC is collecting it next week. Apparently, if it is the transfer box they will have it fitted and the car back to me within 48hrs.

The car is just under two and a half years old and has done 24k miles.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Sorry to hear that On-Track. Your car's age and mileage seem to fit the pattern of at least a number of the reported failures on here.

Some consolation I guess is that you will have a new replacement under warranty that should not suffer a repeat failure.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Hope you get it sorted ontrack.

The question I would be asking is if the replacement transfer box is any different from the original?

Hopefully it is which then gives you some confidence going forward. Interested to hear what OPC have to say.
GTS 😀
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:45 pm Hope you get it sorted ontrack.

The question I would be asking is if the replacement transfer box is any different from the original?

Hopefully it is which then gives you some confidence going forward. Interested to hear what OPC have to say.
Agreed. Porsche should confirm whether the ransfer box has been modified. A year ago, prior to delivery, I asked my OPC if they were being modified and got a rather inconclusive answer.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:29 pm Sorry to hear that On-Track. Your car's age and mileage seem to fit the pattern of at least a number of the reported failures on here.

Some consolation I guess is that you will have a new replacement under warranty that should not suffer a repeat failure.
As you rightly point out Nick, if it has to fail it's better now than out of warranty. :)
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

On-Track wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:24 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:29 pm Sorry to hear that On-Track. Your car's age and mileage seem to fit the pattern of at least a number of the reported failures on here.

As you rightly point out Nick, if it has to fail it's better now than out of warranty. :)
No guarantee that the replacement box will be any more reliable than the origional so check what kind of warranty is on the new one. As I've said before VW group transfer boxes have been giving problems from they started producing SUVs 15+ years ago and as far as I can see no more relaiable now than then. Most never have an issue but some breakdown for no disernable reason
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

My 30k mile Macan diesel is currently sitting in France at Porsche centre La Rochelle with a failed transfer box. Porsche assist have been diabolical after the initial recovery of the vehicle. I could get a job with Hertz as I now feel I'm fully qualified as a hire car delivery driver. Car was recovered on the 15th December and after numerous calls to sort out hire cars and to find out what was happening with my car I finally received a call on the 28th December to ask where I would like the car to be repaired !! My wife and I were sitting in the queue for Euro tunnel and both thought that they would be calling to say my car was ready. We had a very long and noisy journey home in a 3 cylinder Peugeot 2008.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Paul

Post by Paul »

Andy352 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:33 am My 30k mile Macan diesel is currently sitting in France at Porsche centre La Rochelle with a failed transfer box. Porsche assist have been diabolical after the initial recovery of the vehicle. I could get a job with Hertz as I now feel I'm fully qualified as a hire car delivery driver. Car was recovered on the 15th December and after numerous calls to sort out hire cars and to find out what was happening with my car I finally received a call on the 28th December to ask where I would like the car to be repaired !! My wife and I were sitting in the queue for Euro tunnel and both thought that they would be calling to say my car was ready. We had a very long and noisy journey home in a 3 cylinder Peugeot 2008.
👎👎☹️☹️
Poor show.....definitely worth a call to customer services (Reading) to explain......and express your dissatisfaction.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Paul wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:10 pm
Andy352 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:33 am My 30k mile Macan diesel is currently sitting in France at Porsche centre La Rochelle with a failed transfer box. Porsche assist have been diabolical after the initial recovery of the vehicle. I could get a job with Hertz as I now feel I'm fully qualified as a hire car delivery driver. Car was recovered on the 15th December and after numerous calls to sort out hire cars and to find out what was happening with my car I finally received a call on the 28th December to ask where I would like the car to be repaired !! My wife and I were sitting in the queue for Euro tunnel and both thought that they would be calling to say my car was ready. We had a very long and noisy journey home in a 3 cylinder Peugeot 2008.
👎👎☹️☹️
Poor show.....definitely worth a call to customer services (Reading) to explain......and express your dissatisfaction.
Yes Paul, not good enough. Wishing I'd just kept my 100,000 mile BMW, it was faultless its whole time with me.
I'm even more annoyed after reading On-track saying that his will be fixed in 48 hours, Porsche at La Rochelle have had my car since 15th December, taking off Christmas holidays and weekends that's still 7 days during which they seem to have done nothing.
I've been told Porsche assist have handed my file over to Porsche UK and I've to expect a call on 2nd January. I won't hold my breath.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5