Reversing camera lens - dirt magnet!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
DandyDon

Post by DandyDon »

Bigboyrolo, my 911 is a daily driver and it’s filthy just now but the camera is still useable. I doubt if it would be if I still had the Macan. I do like the camera. There must be a better place to locate it on the Macan: maybe higher up on the spoiler?

alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Has anyone tried a hydrophobic coat on the lens of the camera?

I have never specified a rear wiper on a 911 or Cayman as I always coat the rear window with Gtechniq G5 serum and with the aerodynamics of the car, once you're moving above 20-30mph, the water runs off quickly.

I appreciate that the aerodynamic shape of the Macan will create a backdraft and draw muck over the tail gate but I have a Golf GTD and that just seems to suck muck off the road at this time of the year. My number plate visibility quickly becomes a problem as we live in a semi-rural area and it just takes a single farm vehicle dragging mud onto the road and combined with grit and salt, forms a crust. I coated my number plate and it is much more resistant to providing a surface for the layers to bond to.

Theory should hold true for the reversing camera and G5 is designed for glass/perspex so would not cause any damage to the housing.

From a design perspective, I don't know where else Porsche could have located the camera. It's a fish eye lens so the field of view is wide, if they located it higher, they lose the perspective in providing coverage for the blind spot.

I have also read there is quite a lot of difference in the quality of cameras between model years too so resolving power of the camera and performance of the sensor may also be a factor in quality.

When I get mine, I'll be experimenting with a solution and I'll share what works.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have a solution to the problem.

My car is so crudded up that the cameras are all but useless.

I am currently avoiding reversing in any locations where I actually need to use the cameras.

It does mean I am driving the Turbo more.

Alas I think my solution has another solution as its the first day for weeks that (a) its not been raining and (b) the temperature is above zero hence the Turbo may get a quickie wash if its very lucky.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col M

Post by Col M »

Rear camera washer jet is the only thing I'm jealous of in the Velar.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Same with the new SQ5... after a more extensive test drive today.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

alxgb wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:18 am Has anyone tried a hydrophobic coat on the lens of the camera?

I have never specified a rear wiper on a 911 or Cayman as I always coat the rear window with Gtechniq G5 serum and with the aerodynamics of the car, once you're moving above 20-30mph, the water runs off quickly.

I appreciate that the aerodynamic shape of the Macan will create a backdraft and draw muck over the tail gate but I have a Golf GTD and that just seems to suck muck off the road at this time of the year. My number plate visibility quickly becomes a problem as we live in a semi-rural area and it just takes a single farm vehicle dragging mud onto the road and combined with grit and salt, forms a crust. I coated my number plate and it is much more resistant to providing a surface for the layers to bond to.

Theory should hold true for the reversing camera and G5 is designed for glass/perspex so would not cause any damage to the housing.

From a design perspective, I don't know where else Porsche could have located the camera. It's a fish eye lens so the field of view is wide, if they located it higher, they lose the perspective in providing coverage for the blind spot.

I have also read there is quite a lot of difference in the quality of cameras between model years too so resolving power of the camera and performance of the sensor may also be a factor in quality.

When I get mine, I'll be experimenting with a solution and I'll share what works.
All my cars are Gtechniq total surface protection. Basically any part of the car that can be touched is coated in relevant Gtechniq including number plate and camera lens.
What i cant tell is if it makes any difference on the camera as i have this from day one and even though i do get a small issue with rear camera dirt its never to the point of not usable or as bad as some others have mentioned but i may not be driving as many miles in same conditions / locations so all relative.
I have the same issue with the cameras on other cars too so its not unique to the Macan but again not a big enough issue to make it unusable. Just needs a little wiper on it :D

I would be interested to hear if it has made any difference for you as you can compare before and after :)
GTS 😀
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I'll try some rain X on mine and see if it helps.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

ScotMac wrote:I'll try some rain X on mine and see if it helps.
That’s what the instructor at Silverstone PEC recommended. Although, it took me to point out that we were driving a petrol variant when he kept on reminding me I’d booked for and we were driving a diesel! [emoji44]
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I have tried some rain X on my camera lens and think it does help. 👍

Obviously any similar water repellent products will work just as well,
andreas

Post by andreas »

I've only had my Macan for a couple of months, but I've got into the habit of just wiping the lens with my finger at every opportunity!

I have Surround View, which is excellent!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)