Random oil level readings

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
DaveMacan

Post by DaveMacan »

So the car was in for its first service the other day and just before it went in I checked the oil level. Engine was up to temp on a level surface, waited 2 mins, reading was one mark down from max. When I got home from the service I checked and it was still sitting at the same mark rather than max!

So thought Iโ€™d revisit the OPC to get it looked at, checked it just before I went in and it showed oil at max level. Didnโ€™t bother the OPC, returned home, checked again and it was back down one level on the guage! Checked a few times in quick succession and it went back to Max, the mark then dropped down a level without me asking it to check. At one point it went down two levels! Duff sensor?

What was wrong with the dipstick under the bonnet : :D

Paul

Post by Paul »

I think there was a recent post saying the fresh oil took a couple of days before giving accurate readings? But yes, a dipstick was always easy (if a little messy!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I had similar issues in my Audiโ€™s using the same system.
On one occasion it took over a week but that was because the car never got up to temp due to short journeys. Then after a long run was perfect.
I think you will find it will just settle after a short while as it did with others..

Good old fashioned dipstick never let me down....๐Ÿ˜€
GTS ๐Ÿ˜€
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

Dipstick? After an oil service on one of my RRs and having driven through France I tried to check the oil level - No dipstick!!
After a long look around the engine bay I found it nestling against the lip of the bonnet scuttle - where the "technician" had parked it.
Interesting phone call with the dealer ensued.
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold
Paul

Post by Paul »

wallaby wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 am Dipstick? After an oil service on one of my RRs and having driven through France I tried to check the oil level - No dipstick!!
After a long look around the engine bay I found it nestling against the lip of the bonnet scuttle - where the "technician" had parked it.
๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ I did have a customer once return their car after a service who handed me a spanner he had found on the scuttle panel, belonging to one of my (EX!) technicians๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Paul wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 am
wallaby wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 am Dipstick? After an oil service on one of my RRs and having driven through France I tried to check the oil level - No dipstick!!
๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ I did have a customer once return their car after a service who handed me a spanner he had found on the scuttle panel, belonging to one of my (EX!) technicians๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 
You just cant get the staff these days :shock: In my book loosing a spanner could be excused but not putting back the dip stick is shoddy at best.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I stopped to get fuel about 2 miles from my OPC, after a service on my GT3. While filling up, I noticed that the locking wheel nut socket was still attached to the front wheel!

I'd been up to 70mph briefly, so imagine if it had flown off and hit someone!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

nsm3 wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 pm I stopped to get fuel about 2 miles from my OPC, after a service on my GT3. While filling up, I noticed that the locking wheel nut socket was still attached to the front wheel!

I'd been up to 70mph briefly, so imagine if it had flown off and hit someone!
I was more trying to imagine what they'd charge you to replace it on your next visit!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

I had an E34 M5 years ago and took it to the dealer for an oil & filter change in Friday. Saturday morning I was out running
errands and noticed I could smell oil. I pulled over to the side on the wide shoulder and saw oil on the bottom of the pan -
as well as the oil drain bolt backed halfway out(!!!). I finger tightened it the best I could and drove home to put a socket on
it and snug it up.

After that any visits to the dealer and I insisted that anyone BUT the service tech who forgot to tighten by drain bolt be allowed
to work on my M-car.

Just the head for that motor was $15K back in the mid-90s. It would have taken only seconds to seize the engine had the
drain bolt fallen out.