PPF / Gtechniq/ no coating

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
eakae

Post by eakae »

I spoke to the guys at Topaz who were very friendly and helpful. My concern about applying PPF protection to the bonnet, bumper and sills was whether overtime the panels that were unprotected would fade at a different rate. They confirmed that with darker colours over time you would be able to see differences between the protected and unprotected panels.

That was a deal breaker for me. I couldn’t justify the cost of having the whole car done and couldn’t live with panels that had different shades even if the differences were subtle...
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo

Stellauk

Post by Stellauk »

Got a quote from the local detailing company: £895 for CS black + Evo+ and all other bits of the car.
Last edited by Stellauk on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Nobleman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:44 pm
If that was CS Black + Evo you got a real bargain.
More likely to be Gtechniq Platinum, the in-house OPC treatment.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
antsjey

Post by antsjey »

Yeah the cheaper offering of Gtechniq is the one applied by a non-certified GTechniq detailer, ie the in house car cleaners who may know a thing or two about car cleaning or not, you take your chance! There would obviously be limited prep to the paintwork. Porsche offer this in house.

I got mine done through Reep via Porsche who did the Crystal Serum + Exo on bodywork, Wheels inside and out and glass armour or whatever product they use. It was about £1200 but I was happy picking up my car and having one person to report back to if anything went wrong with prep etc. Even after weeks of neglect the car still sheets off water like it has just been waxed and sealed the day before. Cleaning is so much easier than normal with grime tending to not bond easily with the paint and having to put elbow grease into getting it out. This ultimately helps to not put swirls and scratches into the paint so I'm very happy with it!
If I had a more expensive car I'd probably PPF the front end and side sills with PPF and Gtechniq the rest....

reep3.jpg

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Mine was OPC applied (has a Gtech sticker/code number in windscreen etc) but it disperses water as if just polished and has no scratch/swirl marks in it. I'm pretty pleased, but I'm not a 'detailing' type, just like a shiny, easy to clean car. Also has a 5 year guarantee.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Just picked up my turbo that is 7 months old. I got for free from the dealer supaguard, I've no idea if it's any good, but past experiences from dealer applied products tells me it's average at best.. on that basis I'd like to look at the Gtechniq product. From their website, looking at doing everything, the cost is around £1600 Inc vat.. that sounds a lot but as I did that's interior as well, would you do the interior?
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

uktivo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:07 am Just picked up my turbo that is 7 months old. I got for free from the dealer supaguard, I've no idea if it's any good, but past experiences from dealer applied products tells me it's average at best.. on that basis I'd like to look at the Gtechniq product. From their website, looking at doing everything, the cost is around £1600 Inc vat.. that sounds a lot but as I did that's interior as well, would you do the interior?
Supaguard is a wax type of coating, the car will look great and the water will bead very well.

If you take my advice you will buy and use only Supaguard wash shampoo and their own brand maintenance products.

It does take some effort but the results are very good.

I had it applied foc by the dealer when I bought my Jag, which I kept for 11 years and it looked as good at year 11 as it did when I picked it up, but regular cleaning p, waxing and the use of the Supaguard equivalent of a detailing spray made any water simply sheet off during washing.

Enjoy your motor.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:34 am
uktivo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:07 am Just picked up my turbo that is 7 months old. I got for free from the dealer supaguard, I've no idea if it's any good, but past experiences from dealer applied products tells me it's average at best.. on that basis I'd like to look at the Gtechniq product. From their website, looking at doing everything, the cost is around £1600 Inc vat.. that sounds a lot but as I did that's interior as well, would you do the interior?
Supaguard is a wax type of coating, the car will look great and the water will bead very well.

If you take my advice you will buy and use only Supaguard wash shampoo and their own brand maintenance products.

It does take some effort but the results are very good.

I had it applied foc by the dealer when I bought my Jag, which I kept for 11 years and it looked as good at year 11 as it did when I picked it up, but regular cleaning p, waxing and the use of the Supaguard equivalent of a detailing spray made any water simply sheet off during washing.

Enjoy your motor.
Thanks. I got a free maintenance pack also, so better get my buckets ready I think..
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
GuyW

Post by GuyW »

I have PPF on my GTS, and the one place I would definitely get covered is .... the door shuts!!

Who else has had them scuffed by people getting in and out?

PPF is a game changer!
andreas

Post by andreas »

GuyW wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:37 pm I have PPF on my GTS, and the one place I would definitely get covered is .... the door shuts!!

Who else has had them scuffed by people getting in and out?

PPF is a game changer!
I suppose the question is "who are you protecting the paint for?". At the end of the day, surely there'll be little difference in residual value?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)