Towbar recommendations?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
andreas

Post by andreas »

If you're happy with an ordinary towbar, any of the Witter, Towtrust, etc, aftermarket towbars will fit (exactly the same fittings as the Audi Q5). It's an easy DIY job. PF Jones is a good supplier with good advice and back-up.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)

RAA

Post by RAA »

I had a towbar fitted on my previous car (Merc E 320CDi Estate) and just used it occasionally, taking rubbish to the Council waste depot. It also saved me from having my car damaged once when at a Sainsburys car park, a lady driver and I both backed into one another: the other car had damage, but I had none (because of having a towbar). Since I considered we were both equally to blame, I said I would pay for any damage to my car (zero) and the lady driver of the other car should pay for hers. Not very gallant of me I guess.
RAA

Post by RAA »

Having a permanent towbar could save the rear end from damage after a shunt. When I was backing my previous car out of a parking space in a Sainsburys car park, a lady driver behind, was doing the same, and we both backed into one another. The other car was damaged, but not mine, thanks to the tow bar.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

So did I 😄
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Salty

Post by Salty »

After looking at a few options I eventually decided to have my tie bar fitted by my local Porsche dealer. As has been said it’s quite clever the way it retracts and cannot be seen. It was expensive but I was concerned about some company messing with the electrical system. They would not guarantee that there would be no problems with the electrical system afterwards.
I have found that once I have fitted my bike rack and plugged it in the boot will not open when the bike rack is lowered out of the way of the tail gate. It also overrides the start/stop function on the car.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

RAA wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:14 am I had a towbar fitted on my previous car (Merc E 320CDi Estate) and just used it occasionally, taking rubbish to the Council waste depot. It also saved me from having my car damaged once when at a Sainsburys car park, a lady driver and I both backed into one another: the other car had damage, but I had none (because of having a towbar). Since I considered we were both equally to blame, I said I would pay for any damage to my car (zero) and the lady driver of the other car should pay for hers. Not very gallant of me I guess.
Yes, very ungallant of you, particularly as your permanent hook caused the damage. If you hadn't had the ball sticking out perhaps neither car would have been damaged in a very slow shunt.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Salty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:14 pm After looking at a few options I eventually decided to have my tie bar fitted by my local Porsche dealer. As has been said it’s quite clever the way it retracts and cannot be seen. It was expensive but I was concerned about some company messing with the electrical system. They would not guarantee that there would be no problems with the electrical system afterwards.
I have found that once I have fitted my bike rack and plugged it in the boot will not open when the bike rack is lowered out of the way of the tail gate. It also overrides the start/stop function on the car.
Our factory fit Q5 towbar is like that; intended to stop the electric tailgate whacking the trailer/rack etc. Bit of a pain to unplug, but better than a repair, each time I forget and hit the in-car tail release button, which I have done plenty.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
IainSmith

Post by IainSmith »

Hello All
Sorry for asking,
After reading this towbar thread.. ive just ordered the parts to DIY and retrofit a detachable towbar myself. A slight moment of panic I have is.. how do you get the bumper off, a few of the comments on here say its simple...??? I can't find any youtube view for the Macan in removing the bumper..

Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.
Regards
Iain
Guy

Post by Guy »

IainSmith wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:40 pm Hello All
Sorry for asking,
After reading this towbar thread.. ive just ordered the parts to DIY and retrofit a detachable towbar myself. A slight moment of panic I have is.. how do you get the bumper off, a few of the comments on here say its simple...??? I can't find any youtube view for the Macan in removing the bumper..

Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.
Regards
Iain
There's lots of stuff on the US forum about it: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/appeara ... y-gts.html

EDIT: And a couple of useful posts here: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/appeara ... ascia.html

They are much braver than us Brits when it comes to Macan DIY!
subaxtreme

Post by subaxtreme »

Just take it gently and make sure you've got every little screw- and a warm day helps as you pop out each side. It will probably need re coding after.
Stephen
Cayenne S Diesel
Sold: Macan SD