Macan GTS 6000 mile review

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Garty2010

Post by Garty2010 »

I thought I would offer my observations on the first 6000 miles in my Macan GTS; you never know, it might help anyone currently considering their options. My recent car ownership has been Audi RS4, 60k mikes, two Range Rover Sports (90k miles and 70k miles). So those are really my reference points in this comparison. Therefore, in no particular order:

Colour - I am pleased with the choice of Sapphire blue and the black GTS theme. Having said that, I haven't seen a bad colour on any GTS to date.

Wheels/suspension - I went for the 21" sports classics painted black (to avoid the silver strip around the optional black offered by Porsche) and I have found them relatively easy to keep clean. The ride is great with the air suspension. I run it in the lower setting, usually in comfort or sport, occasionally in sport plus. The ride is not "floaty" (a RR Sport is floaty) and not overly harsh in any of the settings. Even Sport plus is less harsh than my RS4 was with sport suspension, but with the road conditions these days, probably not the best option for most journeys.

Fuel consumption - I have done 6000 miles and averaged 20.5 mpg and have only used super unleaded of various makes. I do have a company fuel card and surprisingly no one has mentioned it yet!

Trips - the car is my daily driver, with usual commute of 30 miles each way through A/B urban roads. Some trips into London at weekends and business around the south west add a number of mainly motorway trips. The adjustability between comfort, sport and exhaust open/closed pretty much covers all options from a gentle cruise to hooning if the opportunity arises. The ride quality/comfort is much better than I thought it would be and a 3 hour drive has no adverse effect.

Sports car - as many have said, it is not a sports car, certainly compared to the Boxster which i drove to Scotland and back just before delivery of the Macan. Compared to a Range Rover Sport though, it is a sports car. The cornering ability and stability of the Macan is exceptional and I think as good if not better than the RS4. Since delivery, most of my driving has been in wet and slippery conditions and I can't fault the usability of the Macan. On the few dry trips i have managed, you really can press on with confidence.

Useable power - the GTS has a decent amount of power/torque where you need it. Not quite in the same league as the RS4, but so much better than the RRS which always seemed to wait 10 seconds before responding to the throttle.

PDK - as generally reported, quick and smooth.

Sports chrono- you could probably live without it. i have only used launch control once so far and sport plus on a few occasions. But if it is possible with your budget, why not? I do love the harsh gear changes if you pin the throttle in sport plus! Almost as much as my wife dislikes them....

Sports exhaust - I think it gives a pretty good sound for a V6 turbo.

White dials - look great with the blue car and black interior.

LED lights- certainly the best I have experienced, great with the auto dipping function, although you do have to intervene on occasions, but thats just using a bit of common sense when you approach vehicles at tight angles. Rarely get flashed at by oncoming traffic, something that was a two or three time per trip event in the RRS.

Panoramic sunroof - lets the light in as you might guess. has not broken (unlike my last RRS).

Off road - this is where the RRS is better, hence I have not and don't plan to go off road in the Porsche. Having said that, I have been down some rough tracks and through a couple of small floods where I have used the off road setting for extra clearance.

Ice/snow - we don't get much in the south, but on one occasion I found myself on a hill where a number of vehicles were stuck at the bottom, two having slid down from halfway up. I gave it a go and simply drove up without any hint of drama.

Bose sound system - I like the sound quality, it seems on a similar par to the RRS, albeit the RRS system regularly switched off, along with sat nav and everything else, not coming back on for 5 to 10 minutes. The Porsche system has been faultless so far, although often gets switched off when the car provides aural entertainment.

Sat nav - seems to work, good touch screen system and doesn't simply switch off as above.

Entry and drive - i decided not to spec this for security reason, but do miss it a tiny bit having had it on the RRS. Happy with the decision though on balance.

Heated steering wheel - i didn't go for this for some reason, but would if I was buying again. I guess that I'm getting soft...

Heated front windscreen - not an option on the Macan for some reason, I would have had this if it was.

Surround camera's - make parking a doodle and have ensured that wheels have not yet been kerbed.

Adapted cruise control - brilliant in stop/start motorway traffic. it does get surprising close to the car in front on the closest setting and will tend to accelerate onto the back of the queue and brake quite hard. As my wife observed on one occasion, the car drives like more of a twat than me! In busy traffic though, its great to set it and just steer.

18 way seats - very comfortable, can be adjusted to suit most shapes and sizes.

Privacy glass - I think it suits the look of the GTS.

On the interior front I went for the standard GTS interior with brushed aluminium trim and it looks great. Admittedly, there are some very nice leather options, but there is a cost/value consideration to be had. In space terms, its a bit tight in the back for tall people, but thats not a regular occurrence for me.

That probably covers most of the things that spring to mind and in summary I have to say my decision to try a Porsche has turned out to be one of the best. I have had young men and old giving the car the thumbs up and can't think that there is anything I don't like, from looks to driving experience. I would always like more power, but for real world driving in the uk, this has oodles of it and it can be used without needing the skills of Lewis Hamilton. Nothing has gone wrong, fallen off or squeaked, unlike a similarly priced Range Rover by a similar mileage. To conclude, if you are thinking about one of these, i don't think you will be disappointed and would heartily recommend. I hope this helps anyone thinking about a purchase, but these are just my opinions based on my own experience.
Sapphire blue Macan GTS
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJZ7F2T6

N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

TLDR...

Only kidding. Good write-up. Im moving from B8 RS4 to Macan Turbo with PP. sounds like i may be in for a treat! 😀
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
Garty2010

Post by Garty2010 »

N13LXC wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:18 pm TLDR...

Only kidding. Good write-up. Im moving from B8 RS4 to Macan Turbo with PP. sounds like i may be in for a treat! 😀
i suspect that the turbo PP will be another step up again. Even with such a short attention span it should keep you entertained! ;) ;)
Sapphire blue Macan GTS
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJZ7F2T6
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Great report Garty2010! Appreciate your time and effort to share your experience, which aligns well with what most of us have found and will certainly help those thinking about taking the plunge.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

👍👍
Good write-up and mirrors my own experience. Best car I’ve ever owned😊
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

Thanks Garty2010.

Heated windscreen dropped as an option on the new Cayenne. - why? - it is a brilliant feature.
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold
VanB

Post by VanB »

Believe the IP for a heated windscreen is owned by Ford so likely a licensing issue
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Paul

Post by Paul »

VanB wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 pm Believe the IP for a heated windscreen is owned by Ford so likely a licensing issue

Nah, had it on my 2012 Yeti.......

You can also get it on Golfs and many others in VW so I don’t understand why not on the Macan (or why its been dropped from the Cayenne) Most unlike Porsche not to offer as many options as possible 😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

Paul wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:19 pm
VanB wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 pm Believe the IP for a heated windscreen is owned by Ford so likely a licensing issue

Nah, had it on my 2012 Yeti.......

You can also get it on Golfs and many others in VW so I don’t understand why not on the Macan (or why its been dropped from the Cayenne) Most unlike Porsche not to offer as many options as possible 😉
I think he’s right on the IP & ford... but only for the ones where an element is embedded in the front screen. Thunk the only models currently offering it are in the JLR group. (Had t on a rental disco at Christmas time).

The others all seem to use the method of blow a ton of air at the windscreen...annoyingly in my merc it wouldn’t allow aircon on at the same time, basically not drying the air first...so glad that car is gone!
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
Paul

Post by Paul »

VW current offering....

“Climate windscreen

Wireless electrically conductive layer in glass laminate. In winter, accelerates defrosting and prevents fogging. In summer, reflects solar radiation to reduce interior temperature.”
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab