List You favourite CarPlay apps!

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Looks like FLAC is coming to iOS 11.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/ ... -files-app

This would suggest it's supported all the way down in Core Audio,so macOS, tvOS, watchOS etc.

One to keep an eye on.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Trued

Post by Trued »

goron59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:31 pm
(I'd previously rejected VOX as I had been told on Apple Discussion forums that the audio was downsampled and compressed)
We need to figure that out. What IS great with the VOX is the equalizer system that allows the usage of great presets as well as Your personalised.
- 2017 Porsche Macan
- 2004 SAAB 9-3 AERO CV
- 1978 SAAB 99 TURBO 3D Rally,RAC '78 S. Blomqvist
- 1977 SAAB 99 TURBO 3D
- 1977 SAAB 99 TURBO 4D Pre-Prod.
- 1966 SAAB 96 MonteCarlo V4 Rally
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

I have Amazon prime membership and currently run the Amazon music on my phone and blue tooth connect to the car. I also use a USB stick in the glove box. I have to say, the USB stick seems to have a better quality sound.

I'm assuming Amazon will not allow me to save the music to a USB stick? For copyright protection purposes..
So for me to get the ultimate racket out of the Burmester system, there is no other option but to buy the tracks and put them onto a USB stick?

Do Amazon sell tracks as high end audio, is that called Flac?
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Col Lamb is your resident music guru.......!👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Trued wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:35 am
goron59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:31 pm
(I'd previously rejected VOX as I had been told on Apple Discussion forums that the audio was downsampled and compressed)
We need to figure that out. What IS great with the VOX is the equalizer system that allows the usage of great presets as well as Your personalised.
I could add Apple Car Play and have VOX etc, but I really don't see the point. Music and podcasts are on one SD card, son's music on the other one; there is a resident iPod in the centre that I regularly update from iTunes, sound quality through Bose is excellent to my ears, just couldn't be faffing about with equaliser settings. The built in Sat Nav has proven to be accurate all over Europe and easy to se so I see google maps as redundant. Not really keen on too much tech in my car, so no Apple Car play for me, am I missing something?
The tech I have added is a GPS speed camera alert box - a Cheetah, and a Thnkware front /rear camera system. Oh, and a small coolbox behind the passenger sat alwas on to keep bottles of water cool.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

uktivo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:51 pm I have Amazon prime membership and currently run the Amazon music on my phone and blue tooth connect to the car. I also use a USB stick in the glove box. I have to say, the USB stick seems to have a better quality sound.

I'm assuming Amazon will not allow me to save the music to a USB stick? For copyright protection purposes..
So for me to get the ultimate racket out of the Burmester system, there is no other option but to buy the tracks and put them onto a USB stick?

The problem with Amazon music is the quality can be different on various tracks / albums.
Others like Apple / Spotify will do 256 / 320kps so you know what you are getting.

Ideally the best thing you can do is put music on a USB key or SD card as Flac and that’s very high quality.

Even when I stream from Apple Music via carplay I notice the difference in quality to Flac but it’s more than enough for everyday use.

Part of the problem from these streaming subscription services is the quality is not good enough to get the best from the Burmester or a high end home system. Unless you subscribe to Tidal which is a subscription / streaming service but they supply the highest quality I have found with functionality. They stream flac.

I still use Apple Music as a service and have some Flac music on usb as I don’t like the Tidal interface but this is personal choice.

Have a read of the below article which gives you some great info on the file formats and where you can purchase high res audio. Hope it’s of some help.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/high-re ... ed-to-know
GTS 😀
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:30 pm
uktivo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:51 pm I have Amazon prime membership and currently run the Amazon music on my phone and blue tooth connect to the car. I also use a USB stick in the glove box. I have to say, the USB stick seems to have a better quality sound.

The problem with Amazon music is the quality can be different on various tracks / albums.
Others like Apple / Spotify will do 256 / 320kps so you know what you are getting.

Ideally the best thing you can do is put music on a USB key or SD card as Flac and that’s very high quality.

Even when I stream from Apple Music via carplay I notice the difference in quality to Flac but it’s more than enough for everyday use.

Part of the problem from these streaming subscription services is the quality is not good enough to get the best from the Burmester or a high end home system. Unless you subscribe to Tidal which is a subscription / streaming service but they supply the highest quality I have found with functionality. They stream flac.

I still use Apple Music as a service and have some Flac music on usb as I don’t like the Tidal interface but this is personal choice.

Have a read of the below article which gives you some great info on the file formats and where you can purchase high res audio. Hope it’s of some help.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/high-re ... ed-to-know

Thanks for this. I've purchased a few of my fav's to listen to in the car, put them onto the USB stick and put them into the car, the PCM says this FLAC file format is not supported. Is that correct?
If so, what file format do i convert them too and what would you say is the best software to do this with so I don't get compression back?
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.