Switching my order from SD to GTS

All your ordering information here!
Steve1

Post by Steve1 »

Received a call from my OPC dealer telling me that my S Diesel order has been cancelled for April delivery 🙁.

Offered me £3,500 discount on any Petrol model as gesture from Porsche due to inconvenience caused.

Thinking of switching to GTS as follows:

Metallic Black
Panoramic roof
Privacy glass & black roof rales
18-Way Seats (leather)
Park Assist (front & rear)
LED Front Lights
Spyder Alloys
Heated Steering wheel and heated front seats

The only thing holding me back is fuel economy as I cover 15-18k miles per year (mainly motorway).

My OPC is saying that I should be able to sell the car on in 12-18 months at similar price to purchase based on the £3,500 discount that would offset the extra fuel costs ?

Also, does anyone know if the GTS will be facelifted later this year or early 2019 ?

Any advice welcome.

Steve

Col M

Post by Col M »

£3500 seems puny. How long have they held your deposit? Are they guaranteeing the petrol model to be delivered in April. There's a number of SD with less than 200miles I think I'd find a correctly spec'd one and agree to take one at cost ie about £7K below their listing.(I'd take the Carmine Red one in Cardiff)

I would expect far more compensation for breaking a contract. I've not seen many high mileage GTS but would anticipate a greater depreciation loss and suspect that two years from now you would definitely hit the facelift version.
Last edited by Col M on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

With your mileage the SD is the sensible choice.

Ask if they have any pre registered SD's with a suitable spec. ???
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thought.....in no particular order.....

Facelift GTS probably won’t be out until mid ‘20
See if your dealership will commit, in writing, to their estimated future buy-back price (😂😂)
Motorway usage will return you 25 mpg in a GTS or 35 mpg in a diesel like for like driving (I’ve had both)
Based on your usage I’d snap up one if the many pre-reg diesel currently floating around (didn’t someone on here get £9K off ...?)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
steve w

Post by steve w »

Steve1
I’ve had both and imo the GTS is in another league to the SD but with your mileage the SD would probably be the better option unless fuel cost isn’t a concern,there are some SD about with variable discounts but take into consideration that the SD is a discontinued model and imo will depreciate more because of this,second hand buyers could possibly shy away from models that are discontinued and residuals could suffer,having said that the SD is a brilliant machine and if you intend keeping it for a few years then find a pre-reg at a discount you won’t be disappointed but with the present issues regarding Diesels personally I’m glad I changed mine.
SteveW
Steve1

Post by Steve1 »

Thanks for all your advice, I have asked for another SD but they all seem to be Red or White and I have already owned both these colours on previous cars!

My order was placed Jan 18 with late April delivery and I had already negotiated £2.5k discount.

They are also willing to honour this discount meaning that the GTS with the spec detailed above would come in at £59k with the total £6k discount.

I was thinking of maybe just keeping 12-18 months to keep the mileage @ 20-25k and then selling for hopefully around the £55k mark.

I could jump in the Mrs Quashqai (very painful) to help keep the mileage down.

OPC have said tat the GTS would be delivered in May if I get my order in the next couple of days (end of Feb).

Thank You all again and will let you know how I proceed.

Steve
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I kind of think that a GTS is slightly wasted doing that mileage just sitting on the motorway. It would really hurt residuals and you would waste a lot of money in fuel costs. To my mind, it’s best enjoyed when you can have fun driving it on a twisty road.

I’d also be inclined to go for either a pre-reg car or something used. Forum members have been known to come up with some good arrangements. I’m actually in the process of looking at options to possibly change my heavily specced SD. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

The reason you're in this situation is politics.

Buying an expensive diesel today makes that car's future value dependent upon what the courts, national government and councils decide over the coming years. Unless you have a pcp backstop.

With petrol, it will cost you more on fuel (which you can roughly calculate) but the depreciation on a diesel is a really tough call today ( some argue it could be worth more than a petrol as they've stopped making them!).
Col M

Post by Col M »

GTS is another £700 in first year Road Tax on the SD. So £2800 discount?
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

The other thing that you might want to consider is that there is no reason to stop Porsche from launching a facelift GTSas it not a model change.i have asked this several times and get a different response nothing is clear, personally I am getting fed up with the situation.. I firstly as you ordered a SD.. then Diesel hate ... waited until now , so changed to a GTS only to be told the factory is closing,. So have to order now, but won’t tell me if there is a facelift GTS being launched possibly in September.. so the choice I have been left with is buy now ... or wait another 18 months for the facelift GTS, or buy now , and possibly lose thousands if a facelift is launched in September! Rant over....
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊