Tailshaft Bolts Snapped

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Mattspies

Post by Mattspies »

Hi Guys

First post from Australia...

Was driving a few mornings and went to overtake a car and halfway through I heard a ping and what sounded like a pinball machine in the back.. šŸ˜³
Got under the car and saw this... 2 Tail shaft bolts were missing. Towed to Porsche and the bolts actually snapped off....
Covered under warranty with a new Differential and Driveshaft with upgraded M10 Bolts
Early model Macans has M8 bolts which now have been revised and M10 bolts are now the normal...
I think this should have been a recall on all early models with this design fault.

Guy

Post by Guy »

Good morning and welcome to the Forum!

Well I had to Google 'tailshaft' but now I know that you are talking about the 'prop shaft' it is quite disconcerting. Did you take a photo? Also, when you say 'early model' what years are you talking about? What year is yours?

(EDIT: I just had a look at the US forum and there's a couple of threads reporting missing bolts, plus a couple of photos.)
Last edited by Guy on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

That does sound like a significant design shortfall, if the bolts are being overstrained in normal service and failing as a result. Clearly the fix is not just to change the bolts as it sounds like the drive flanges will not accommodate that, hence the replacement of diff and driveshaft. Unless of course they were damaged in the event.

I wonder if this vehicle has been subjected to unusually heavy loading perhaps? Major off roading, serious towing, many launch control starts? While such things might cause the failure, and it might therefore mean that the vast majority of cars don't suffer such a failure, it doesn't excuse a design fault. But it's interesting that a mod seems to have been introduced at some point.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Mattspies

Post by Mattspies »

Mine is 2015 model and I did take pics of the two missing bolts and the aftermath of when it was fixed.
Iā€™m not sure how to post pics on this forum though... Apparently models 2016 and above have this issue fixed with the larger M10 bolts.
I donā€™t have Chrono so no LC although it did happen when I went to overtake and it kicked down applying load at that time.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Mattspies wrote: ā†‘Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm Mine is 2015 model and I did take pics of the two missing bolts and the aftermath of when it was fixed.
Iā€™m not sure how to post pics on this forum though... Apparently models 2016 and above have this issue fixed with the larger M10 bolts.
I donā€™t have Chrono so no LC although it did happen when I went to overtake and it kicked down applying load at that time.
There you go, I had copied it off your fb page, pleased to see you on here.

7A2841AE-D2B4-4D59-A3F7-56B85F27C588.jpeg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
JulesMacan

Post by JulesMacan »

I know its 4 yrs later, but i have a 2015 Macan S with chrono (but have never used launch control), and ive had the exact same issue today! Under the same conditions. Except mine is long out of warranty (I'm the 2nd owner, only had it 18months). Have a terrible feeling this will cost me a fortune! :/

Interestly, the same two bolts gave way...
If theres any chance of getting it done not at my cost, id love to hear it!

@matspies any reason they couldnt just get 2 new bolts? High strength ones perhaps?
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

JulesMacan wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:51 pm I know its 4 yrs later, but i have a 2015 Macan S with chrono (but have never used launch control), and ive had the exact same issue today! Under the same conditions. Except mine is long out of warranty (I'm the 2nd owner, only had it 18months). Have a terrible feeling this will cost me a fortune! :/

@matspies any reason they couldnt just get 2 new bolts? High strength ones perhaps?
Those heads are often associated with high grade bolts so could be the best they can get.

Going up a bolt size is a big step in strength.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

JulesMacan wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:51 pm I know its 4 yrs later, but i have a 2015 Macan S with chrono (but have never used launch control), and ive had the exact same issue today! Under the same conditions. Except mine is long out of warranty (I'm the 2nd owner, only had it 18months). Have a terrible feeling this will cost me a fortune! :/

Those heads are often associated with high grade bolts so could be the best they can get.

Going up a bolt size is a big step in strength.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Just getting out the broken bolts is a sizeable job in itself.

There are dozens of grades of high tensile steel from which Porsche could have chosen and looking at the image they choose poorly or the bolts supplied were not up to spec if this is the case then yet another black mark against Porsche for their questionable QA procedures. It is a very simply test rig to test to destruction sub-contractor supplied components like a bolt.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20ā€ wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

It may not have been the bolts at fault, incorrect assembly could result in the bolts being over torqued leading to subsequent failure.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA