should i buy a Macan S Disel

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Spud

Post by Spud »

As someone who is about to get Macan No4 I feel I have had a good overview, my first two were the Petrol S great car and enjoyed them both, due to various circumstances Macan No3 is a Diesel, again great car I have never found the performance lacking in whatever mode it has been driven, MPG like said is an average 33MPG across all sorts of roads, which I feel is good for a vehicle of its size, the SD performance is more than suited for British Roads/Limits, I personally feel the residuals will hold up over course of time (Its always worth £3,000 scrappage (0: ). My only concerns about Diesel is not the depreciation but will the Politicians change the playing field regarding Diesel fuel etc. I am just on the border divide re mileage (12,000 per annum) so I have decided to move back to petrol (plus the dealer made me an offer I would have been silly not to take) so if you feel Diesel is for you don't hesitate
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Just to reiterate and add to my previous post, I have driven, 2.0, petrol S, Turbo PP Macans and owned an SD and own a Turbo so I have experience of many different configurations of Macan, there is no bad Macan (well there is but I will not go into that again) its a case of some are better than others

For those who have an SD and think its a great engine then I have two things to say firstly, it is the same engine as was in the SQ5 Audi where it produced 330bhp, secondly try driving an X3 35D or in fact any Beamer with the 35D engine, how this engine delivers the power is how the Macan SD should deliver the power, for goodness sake it is a Porsche and not a lesser badged Audi.

With an SD do also remember there is the dreaded DPF issue to consider and the simple fact that members here have had their SD Macans accepted back by Porsche as defective as Porsche have been unable to solve the ad hoc nature of the problem, hunt out the many DPF threads.

To me the sheer uncertainly of getting a DPF fault is enough to pass by a very long margin from buying any SD with a For Sale sign on it.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ Get off the fence and tell us what you really think Col! :lol:
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

If you drive your Diesel like miss daisy, taking your wife to the supermarket for her to do the shopping (god forbid I'm ever that unlucky) then you will likely get DPF problems. Drive the car properly and you won't. Simple as!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

My driving pattern is probably the most inconsistent with owning a diesel and I’ve had not one DPF issue since Oct ‘16.

I personally think the SD is a great car and I will definitely miss mine a bit when it goes. In hindsight, with only keeping it 18 months, I should have gone spec light, but you live and learn.

I hope it’s going off to a great home to be appreciated on high mileage journeys by an oil burning enthusiast! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Guy wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:03 pm ^ Get off the fence and tell us what you really think Col! :lol:
Yeah, no other brands get DPF filter problems.....or do they?😂😂

and the Audi handles like a dream, has a really exciting interior, great steering feel....

and the beemer has great residuals, fantastic dealer network.....

😉😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

MCDK wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:24 pm The answer to the poster's question will very much depend on which derivative the person answering owns ;)

Don't expect overly impartial advice therefore however the well publicised negative vibes about diesel will resound further than this forum therefore Joe public may decide diesel is a no no which is where the values could take a hammering. To some extent this is already happening and there is no real evidence to show it will change.
No sign of residuals on the Macan diesel taking a hammering. Just had another e mail from WBAC today and the value up again. The WBAC value of my now departed 2015 diesel Macan has risen consistently over the last 3 months. Suspect that the recent snow has helped 4x4 residuals and the trade market has probably cottoned on to the fact that Porsche dealers are buying up good quality stock to make up for lack of new Porsche cars being manufactured between May and September. If you have a nice spec , low/average mile 2-3 year old diesel Macan it’s probably a good time to sell or p/x.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Sounds like good news for Hawkeye! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I have an SD and it's a great car. Maybe in the current climate I would err towards a petrol derivative - but then again, maybe that is because I have spent too long reading this forum. My mileage is just over 9000/year. Remeber that there are only a very small number of people on here relative to the number of Macans on the road and that the majority will have SDs and be very happy with them.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

+1. I will do a similar annual mileage. I do long runs in my Macan and use a petrol car for the short trips. The SD is a fabulous SUV. Fast, fun and frugal - it's much more rapid than most of the traffic that I encounter. So easy to dispatch the dawdlers and no problem keeping up with the faster stuff. The torque of the diesel makes it very relaxing to drive fast and safely. It is also very quiet, luxurious and extremely comfortable. So test drive an SD and a petrol and you decide.
Last edited by SAC1 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver