Windscreen superficial scratches form ice scraper - best solution

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Macan forum

Post by Macan forum »

Sunshine at last today, low in the sky reveals the horror story of a combination of a poor quality ice scraper and perhaps being a little over-zealous scraping the ice off when late and cold in the very early morning starts this winter.

Any suggestions for the best remedy product to use? I’m assuming they can be polished out.

There’s so many products out ther, it’s hard to know what may be effective and what is expansive snake oil.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

I found a professional glass polisher for scratches on a previous vehicle. They use a special polish pad and polish and have to keep checking temperature of glass to avoid deforming the laminate. Takes about an hour of constant polishing and is around £100.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I mananged to scratch the windscreen on a previous car with a replacement wiper blade that was too short. Put a full arc in the screen. I never found a satisfactory answer to remove it and just lived with it until i sold it. It was over 10 years old so not the end of the world. Not sure what you will be able to do about this though.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Ian.g wrote:I mananged to scratch the windscreen on a previous car with a replacement wiper blade that was too short. Put a full arc in the screen. I never found a satisfactory answer to remove it and just lived with it until i sold it. It was over 10 years old so not the end of the world. Not sure what you will be able to do about this though.
Same here. I scratched my screen lightly with an ice scraper. Tried everything to get it off, but no luck. Just learnt to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Macan forum wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 pm Sunshine at last today, low in the sky reveals the horror story of a combination of a poor quality ice scraper and perhaps being a little over-zealous scraping the ice off when late and cold in the very early morning starts this winter.
So for the benefit of all of us, was it just an ordinary Halfords plastic scraper or one with some harder edges? If you can make noticeable scratches in the glass with a standard plastic scraper I will be very careful in the future. Maybe your warranty is void if you don't use the Porsche one - it wouldn't surprise me!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Autoglass (or similar) may offer a polishing service but, as above, it needs a machine and lots and lots of time.
A detailer might be able to help.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

When I know it’s going to be freezing, I have always used the spray they goes on the night before, and prevents ice build up, takes a few minutes and is worth the effort, as standing out on a cold morning scraping is not pleasant, and takes longer.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Ian.g wrote:
Macan forum wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 pm Sunshine at last today, low in the sky reveals the horror story of a combination of a poor quality ice scraper and perhaps being a little over-zealous scraping the ice off when late and cold in the very early morning starts this winter.
So for the benefit of all of us, was it just an ordinary Halfords plastic scraper or one with some harder edges? If you can make noticeable scratches in the glass with a standard plastic scraper I will be very careful in the future. Maybe your warranty is void if you don't use the Porsche one - it wouldn't surprise me!
Mine was done with the official Porsche Ice Scraper that my wife bought me for Christmas just after I bought the car. That was the one and only time I have ever scraped ice off my windscreen.

However, I had my sports exhaust retrofitted in Jan ‘17 and at the dealership in the freezing cold, saw them scraping ice off all the cars outside when I dropped the car off, so maybe it was just my poor technique! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Macan forum

Post by Macan forum »

Ian.g wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 pm

B&Q not Halfords but a fairly standard scraper all the same :)

I’d say be careful and if time isn’t not a major issue wait for the screen heating to kick in.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

De-icer spray works for me, avoids mechanical scraping.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA