Thoughts on your Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mflores001

Post by Mflores001 »

Hi all,
I’m interested in leasing the 2018 Macan. I have researched thoroughly but not test driven yet. I have a disability that causes dizziness and vibrations in cars can bring on attacks. What are the best and worst features of your Macans?

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Any vibrations inside a Macan are dependent upon:-
Wheel size
Tyres
Suspension dampers
Steering geometry
Seating.

Now in a Macan there are four seat options basic 8 way, GTS 8 way, 14 way and 18 way.

Suspension
at basic is steel springs and fixed hydraulic dampers,
PASM which is fully adaptive and operational all the time and includes three setting mode
Air suspension with PASM, for a sublime ride but some can feel that it wallows.

Hence there are very many combinations that affect a Macan.

My advice would be to test drive as many Macans as you can but with each make a note of the extras that are included, plus wheel size, tyre size etc.

During the test drive go over the same route three times, with each time having the suspension in a different mode.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I certainly find mine very refined and smooth. Long distance driving is a pleasure (except for the other traffic!).

Try a decent test drive.
Caster

Post by Caster »

I'd say the best option for reducing vibrations in a Macan would be to get a 2.0l petrol (lightest) with 18" wheels and add air suspension or, at least, PASM👍

As ScotMac says - I'd have a good test drive over various surfaces with at least a Macan with PASM and see how you get on.
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

I have a 2.0 Macan with 20 inch wheels with non PASM and had a courtesy Macan diesel with 21 inch wheels last week and can honestly say there was no difference in ride quality. My daily is a Steel sprung Golf GTi as a comparison

I find the ride perfectly fine if you like a sporty ride where you feel every bump. Would recommend the PASM if you want a smoother ride to waft along

Having driven PASM equipped Porsche cars previously, I would recommend PASM as it cuts out those small secondary bumps you feel at lower speeds
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Mflores001 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:11 pm Hi all,
I’m interested in leasing the 2018 Macan. I have researched thoroughly but not test driven yet. I have a disability that causes dizziness and vibrations in cars can bring on attacks. What are the best and worst features of your Macans?
Firstly I wonder if you should actualy be driving? I'm not being cheeky, but a condition like you mention does not sound like it would be allowed under the licensing scheme?

Assuming you are medicaly fit to drive, then go with the above suggestions - 18" wheels, PASM or air suspension, and stay away from the sport buttons. You will get a ride as good as most luxury cars out there - and in 39k miles mine has yet to get any kind of rattle or vibration.

James
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Hopefully your condition sounds worse than it actually is? If your looking for a super smooth SUV suggest you try Lexus RX450. It's a bit larger than Macan with enough power to very comfortably carry you at your highest speed with total silent running at your lowest. Definitely the most comfortable SUV I have experienced and the cost to own when compared to Porsche also won't make you dizzy. 😉

Don't confuse with the Lexus NX which is closer to Macan in size but that is not at all good in comparison to the RX, underpowered, uncomfortable and harsh.😖
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

MikeM wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:45 am
Hopefully your condition sounds worse than it actually is? If your looking for a super smooth SUV suggest you try Lexus RX450. It's a bit larger than Macan with enough power to very comfortably carry you at your highest speed with total silent running at your lowest. Definitely the most comfortable SUV I have experienced and the cost to own when compared to Porsche also won't make you dizzy. 😉

Don't confuse with the Lexus NX which is closer to Macan in size but that is not at all good in comparison to the RX, underpowered, uncomfortable and harsh.😖
Not sure you are allowed to recommend a Lexus on here :lol: :lol: :lol:

On that theme though - a Cayenne is probably smoother than a Macan - drove one yesterday.
Mflores001

Post by Mflores001 »

Thanks for your ideas. I researched so many cars and the Lexus RX has complaints of vibrations and shakiness under the hood which is exactly what my current car does and it sets my symptoms off. I researched the Cayenne and it doesn’t have as good reliability factors. What do you notice in the Macan that isn’t great?
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Mflores001 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:52 pm Thanks for your ideas. I researched so many cars and the Lexus RX has complaints of vibrations and shakiness under the hood which is exactly what my current car does and it sets my symptoms off. I researched the Cayenne and it doesn’t have as good reliability factors. What do you notice in the Macan that isn’t great?
What is your current car?
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6