Transmission oil leak

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Paul wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:15 pm
Rab J wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:02 pm
Dandock wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Maybe that’s a US dealers thing. Although I don’t know that I understand the not buying gearbox parts thing, I’ve no desire to stir it.
There could be a few reasons for the not buying gearbox parts, firstly they mightn't want to order parts before there sure what the fault is and whats required to repair it or it might be that the PDK is so complicated that is a return to factory or at least a central repair site.
^^^
A PDK ‘box under warranty is likely to be an exchange unit, rather than the dealership tinkering around with it.
In 2011 my 2010 PDK Cayman 987.2 went into an electronic meltdown . Although I suspected a software fault Porsche authorised a new PDK gearbox replacement. A new box was flown out from Germany and fitted. The car would still not run. They then did a full software reinstall which did the trick. The cost of the replacing the box was £5000 in 2011 and all it needed was a software reinstall. When the old box was delivered back to Germany it was confirmed that there was no mechanical fault.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Sounds like they made an expensive mistake on your Cayman. This is a physical leak though. We will see what transpires.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Ian.g wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:05 pm Sounds like they made an expensive mistake on your Cayman. This is a physical leak though. We will see what transpires.
I believe the actual PDK box is pretty much bullet proof and should last the lifetime of the vehicle .
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Ian.g wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:39 pm The guy in the video is just plain wrong - his view was that a dealer would hide this from you. Actually they found it (without me asking) and are proceeding to sort it out. As Paul mentioned in the past, warranty work will be paid for by Porsche and helps their business by bringing in work.
If I remember correctly (I haven't looked at the old post again) I made exactly this comment. It's bull. The OPC will be invoice their hours so why on earth they want to hide it is anyones guess. Hope they come to the bottom of it quickly.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:45 pm
Paul wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:15 pm
Rab J wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:02 pm
There could be a few reasons for the not buying gearbox parts, firstly they mightn't want to order parts before there sure what the fault is and whats required to repair it or it might be that the PDK is so complicated that is a return to factory or at least a central repair site.
^^^
A PDK ‘box under warranty is likely to be an exchange unit, rather than the dealership tinkering around with it.
In 2011 my 2010 PDK Cayman 987.2 went into an electronic meltdown . Although I suspected a software fault Porsche authorised a new PDK gearbox replacement. A new box was flown out from Germany and fitted. The car would still not run. They then did a full software reinstall which did the trick. The cost of the replacing the box was £5000 in 2011 and all it needed was a software reinstall. When the old box was delivered back to Germany it was confirmed that there was no mechanical fault.
Happened to my 2013, 981 CS. Gearbox just stuck in 2nd gear, luckily fairly close to home, so I drove it back, slowish. Next day, the fault had cleared itself, but went in and as above, had a software upload. Didn't do it again while I had it.

I remember feeling quite happy that it was under warranty, either way.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Having been back today there is not enough oil leaking to be absolutely sure where it is coming from (450 miles since they last looked) and so it is only a very small leak. It should not cause any problem to the car, although it clearly needs sorting out at some point when they can be sure what the problem is... so please drive another 500-1000 miles then bring it back again. They did seem clear that it does need sorting out, just not yet. So I will take it back in another month or so and see what they say. I did have quite a nice cup of coffee and chocolate brownie.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ian.g wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:41 pm Having been back today there is not enough oil leaking to be absolutely sure where it is coming from (450 miles since they last looked) and so it is only a very small leak. It should not cause any problem to the car, although it clearly needs sorting out at some point when they can be sure what the problem is... so please drive another 500-1000 miles then bring it back again. They did seem clear that it does need sorting out, just not yet. So I will take it back in another month or so and see what they say. I did have quite a nice cup of coffee and chocolate brownie.
...and at least it’s on record with job sheets raised etc.....!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Paul wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 pm
Ian.g wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:41 pm Having been back today there is not enough oil leaking to be absolutely sure where it is coming from (450 miles since they last looked) and so it is only a very small leak. It should not cause any problem to the car, although it clearly needs sorting out at some point when they can be sure what the problem is... so please drive another 500-1000 miles then bring it back again. They did seem clear that it does need sorting out, just not yet. So I will take it back in another month or so and see what they say. I did have quite a nice cup of coffee and chocolate brownie.
...and at least it’s on record with job sheets raised etc.....!
Oh yes. Definitely. That was mentioned - don't worry, it is documented that there is a problem whilst well within warranty.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Back to OPC on Wednesday to have oil leak inspected again. 1400 miles after chalk spray. The verdict: it is too small a leak to have any detrimental effect on your car. It is not enough of a leak to justify replacing the gear box.
So what if it fails in 5 years as a result of this? That is a hypothetical question as we don't think it will have a detrimental effect. We will look at it again when the car needs servicing [March] - or you can bring it back again sooner if you want.
So I think I will just have to wait and see. It will still be well within warranty in March (at 2 years old) and I was planning taking out an extended warranty anyway. I might crawl underneath and look myself before it goes back so I can be sure what is going on with it.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Mines a coming up to 3 yr old 16k miles Macan DS and was MOT’d by Porsche on Friday and they have also found a ‘gearbox’ oil leak.

Its under warranty so its going back in for them to explore further in a couple of weeks.
They say its a fine spray and not a oil drip type leak, which concerns me both wats as its parked on our newly block paved driveway :lol:

Think i need to put something under the car just in case until its sorted. :roll:
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D