Macan GTS - new owner reflections...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jamieo

Post by jamieo »

Well I thought I’d share my opinions as many of yours helped me, thanks.

Background - I’ve owned numerous Porsche cars from a 964RS to Boxsters but never a 4x4

We recently took delivery of a Macan GTS, spec as follow:
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PJ45GDE5

Overall:
I’m super happy with it. Drives like a Porsche yet is comfortable for daily driving. It feels much smaller when you’re driving it, more like a hot hatch. In slow corners you feel the weight of the car and some understeer, but as you get some speed that goes quickly and it feels closer to a sports car than I would expect. Dog is happy in the back. What more can I want. I didn’t need Cayenne space.

I’m glad we got a GTS now, waiting for a facelift and only being able to get an S was frustrating.

Options I’m happy with:
LED PDLS Plus light - amazing, best headlights I’ve ever had
18 way seats - comfortable and snug, adjusted them v quickly to a perfect fit.
Entry and drive - 2 keys, different settings, no fumbling for keys. I like it.
Park assist surround - rear camera positioning is crap, it get water and muck on it. Angle of rear view is poor. On a Mercedes or Lexus this is WAY better. Surround view work though. And I’m glad to have all this in such a car. Despite it not being as good as others, I’d get it again
Air suspension - normal is comfortable but still drives well, you need sports or sports plus to really get the most out of it. Even on sports plus it doesn’t feel too stiff for the road.
ACC - works well and once you’ve used to it you’ll struggle to not have it
Lane Assist/Lane Change Assist - I wasn’t going to spec these, they work better than I’d think. Both just reassuring on long journeys.

What I wished I’d ordered:
PCCB - I am kicking myself now. I have PCCB on my current Boxster and not only do they work well, the reduced unsprung weight makes a noticeable difference. Given how well the Macan drives these would help. But mostly the brake dust. I now remember how much I hate cleaning wheels. Yes I’d pay £5k to have clean wheels...
PTV - I’m buying a comfortable car, not a sports car so I don’t need this. But it does drive so well I’d be tempted.

Do not get:
Loadspace management - it’s shit. The mesh net is crap, badly blocks your rear view. I bought a metal dog guard, fits better.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome and glad you like your GTS.

I think that your observations echo the vast majority on the forum.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, Jamie! :)

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your Macaneering!

You're not a chef, by any chance, are you...? ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 2325

Post by Deleted User 2325 »

My GTS has now done nearly 3000 miles. I have two observations:

- the paint is not as chip resistant as on my old BMW X3 Sport which had not a single stone blemish over 75,000 miles. The Macan has gained had three stone chip nicks in the bonnet already so I had the front covered in Xpel Ultimate by Porsche who also re-sprayed the bonnet. Brilliant job. So while they were at it I had the whole car wrapped. I would have had this done before collection if I had been warned in advance.

- I wish there was a quiet start button not boy racer an exhaust noise amplifier. The neighbours are not so keen on the early starts!
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Macadam wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:31 pm

- I wish there was a quiet start button not boy racer an exhaust noise amplifier. The neighbours are not so keen on the early starts!
Depending on their age they will get years of electric whine to keep them happy. They'll miss the start up roar of the V6 then.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Macadam wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:31 pm - the paint is not as chip resistant as on my old BMW X3 Sport which had not a single stone blemish over 75,000 miles. The Macan has gained had three stone chip nicks in the bonnet already so I had the front covered in Xpel Ultimate by Porsche who also re-sprayed the bonnet. Brilliant job. So while they were at it I had the whole car wrapped. I would have had this done before collection if I had been warned in advance.
Is it not a sad reflection that owners feel the need to wrap their entire new Porsche in a costly protective plastic film, partly because for some, the factory paint does not seem up to the job?

I'm a Porsche fan and am on my 4th, but struggle to get my head around the concept of buying a brand new (and expensive) Porsche and then feeling the need to cover part (or all) of it in a plastic wrapper...?! :shock:
Simon

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Its pretty simple - we like the brand new unblemished look and want to keep them that way!!
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Have to say I'm glad I did the PPF on the 911. 1000 miles and already have a mark on the bonnet and one on the passengers wing mirror that would have been fairly decent chips without it. There is also a mark on a headlight which is protected so very pleased. Each to their own of course, but a low car like the 911 does seem to be a bit of a chip magnet.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
VanB

Post by VanB »

I didn’t PPF mine, Rab and after 3k miles I have 1 chip. I reckon a front respray after 3 years will probably be about the same as PPF so 6 and 2 3s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Rab J wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:05 pm Have to say I'm glad I did the PPF on the 911. 1000 miles and already have a mark on the bonnet and one on the passengers wing mirror that would have been fairly decent chips without it. There is also a mark on a headlight which is protected so very pleased. Each to their own of course, but a low car like the 911 does seem to be a bit of a chip magnet.
As you say, Rab, each to their own. :)
Simon