Navigation database updates

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

My MY18 Macan S has all countries greyed out except for the 3 I downloaded when the car was new last September. These 3 countries are marked "up to date". However, If I visit the software update page, it says that there are "New" 2018 map updates.

Eventually I phoned the helpline (twice) and at the second attempt I learned that you get 3 downloads every 6 months during the life of your contract. Because I downloaded three earlier this year, that's my lot until refresh time.

The adviser said, however, that I could visit my OPC and they would upload the whole of Europe 2018 via a USB stick which each dealer has - so I'm going on Tuesday (for my Masterclass :lol: ).

It would've saved endless attempts if this had been made clear somewhere - anywhere!

BTW I visited the My Porsche website and discovered that you can have 7Gb of free data if you apply before the end of June. When I asked why I could not use this allowance to update my database, I was told that it's only for passengers, or other drivers, to use the internet while in the car.

Confusing or what?

Col M

Post by Col M »

You've hit the other restriction of 3 online updates in a 6 month period I think.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

Thanks for the reply, but the answer is even weirder.

I went to my Masterclass and told them this story, so they agreed to put the car in the workshop then and there and update the database from their master SD card.

However, the car would not accept the download as the database was deemed to be up-to-date!

We're off to France for 7 weeks tomorrow, accompanied by my trusty TomTom (which tells you where the speed cameras - sorry "safety zones" are.

I've managed to get this to work with Apple Car Play (voice only sadly), with my Rennline magnetic ohone mount holding my iPhone 8+ which really annoys the Missus as she cannot see the heating controls with it in situ.

The iPhone 8+ was a bad choice, as the Plus variant is too big to fit in the little soft compartment provided.

First World problems!
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

oldpilot wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:10 pm Thanks for the reply, but the answer is even weirder.

I went to my Masterclass and told them this story, so they agreed to put the car in the workshop then and there and update the database from their master SD card.

However, the car would not accept the download as the database was deemed to be up-to-date!

We're off to France for 7 weeks tomorrow, accompanied by my trusty TomTom (which tells you where the speed cameras - sorry "safety zones" are.

I've managed to get this to work with Apple Car Play (voice only sadly), with my Rennline magnetic ohone mount holding my iPhone 8+ which really annoys the Missus as she cannot see the heating controls with it in situ.

The iPhone 8+ was a bad choice, as the Plus variant is too big to fit in the little soft compartment provided.

First World problems!
If you’re caught in France with speed camera POIs on a sat nav the penalties can be severe. If I were you I’d manage without and stick to the speed limits.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
VanB

Post by VanB »

As Nick says the penalties in France can be swingeing if caught with any type of speed camera alert. I have a Road Angel but always remove it before driving in France
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

Nick and Van B

Thanks gents for your concern and warnings!

I have lived for 4 months of the year in France since 2002 and I'm well aware of the law.

In 2012, speed camera warnings were outlawed in France (as you rightly point out) and after a period of absence, TomTom introduced the Safety Zones concept (which helpfully includes speed cameras). I have been using this for the past 5 years. Extract from TomTom's website:

FRANCE
TomTom’s service in France is certified to be 100% legal. Instead of warning for exact locations of cameras, TomTom warns for Danger Zones around any potential danger, including cameras.

I'm not a habitual speeder and find 130km/h perfectly comfortable. Trouble is, with my new Macan, it's so damned smooth and silent, that I constantly find myself unaware that I'm over the limit. To be honest, the warnings are seriously helpful on the suburban roads around Grasse, where you can be easily caught unawares.

I know there is a speed limiter option (which I find fiddly to use), but my car has ACC, which I shall put to good use tomorrow, together with my Télépeage Badge, which is essential when driving a RHD car!
VanB

Post by VanB »

Good to know and thanks for the clarification [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Need a little help, how do I initiate a map download?

I go to my software update page in the PCM and it says that there are "New" 2018 map updates for South England, which is all I need for now.

However, even though I can tick the box which tells me the download is approx 198Mb, there is no button to start the download.

What am I missing? :? Other than the button, of course ;)
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Don’t want to worry you, oldpilot, but it just took 3 days for my system to reset to the Euro time zone!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀