How to use Waze in your Macan (Sort of)

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I know that many of us use Waze as it's realtime traffic seems far better than any of the standard Sat Nav systems but I also know like you that there is no real way of using it in our Macans (or other Porsches) since currently Android Auto isn't supported. However, I discovered at least one thing it will do in a Macan.

I jumped out of the SLK where I use Waze all the time and into the Macan while it was still active on my iPhone and was quite surprised that as I was approaching a fixed speed camera I got a verbal warning that the camera was there (in the new singing voice which does make me smile) over the music I was listening to. Just to check I went a bit off route towards another camera I know near by and it did the same thing again. I likeee

Looking at the settings that allow this to happen it appears you have to have Waze already switched on before you plug it into the car, you have to have Alerts switched on in settings and you have to be listening to music etc. via Bluetooth on your phone.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm guessing that if you had sound fully on in Waze and the Sat Nav map screen turned on you could use Waze directions with the in built map and sort of use that to get where you're going.

Not perfect but kind of useful even if its just for speed traps or other potential issues you might want to avoid.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Thanks Miopyk, I will try that with my TomTom app I have on my iPhone as the Porsche satnav does choose some funny routes at times.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Guy

Post by Guy »

One of the advanced sound output options in the Waze settings menu is to 'Play as Bluetooth phone call'. I think this should allow you to listen to other (non-phone/Bluetooth) sources (eg FM radio) on the PCM and still receive Waze directions. If I remember I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

This drives (no pun intended) me insane. Sometimes waze comes through the speakers, other times it comes through the phone. Sometimes it flips between them whilst driving, usually if interrupted by a phone call.
I have no idea what the triggers are so will watch this thread with interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Guy

Post by Guy »

Guy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:11 pm One of the advanced sound output options in the Waze settings menu is to 'Play as Bluetooth phone call'. I think this should allow you to listen to other (non-phone/Bluetooth) sources (eg FM radio) on the PCM and still receive Waze directions. If I remember I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Just tried this whilst out driving for an hour (IAM practice :) ) and it worked well. I listened to DAB radio whilst using Waze, with my phone simply connected as if to make/receive phone calls. Each time Waze made announcements they came out through the PCM as if it was a phone call from 'My Number' - every small beep and alert came over the speakers, interrupting the radio as it did so. I had to make sure the volume was loud enough on the iPhone, and (as described above) that the following was ticked under advanced sound output options on Waze:

IMG_1956.PNG

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Guy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:08 pm
Guy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:11 pm Just tried this whilst out driving for an hour (IAM practice :) )
Hope you're enjoying your course. I've done car and bike and found it really beneficial as well as amazing value for money. How about starting a thread on your experience?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

It appears that the above "Sound Output" functionality is for ios only. It isn't an android option yet. There is a function called "Play sound to phone speaker, which I'll test next time out whnen I connect the phone via bluetooth and play the radio.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Loved Waze but in the early days you could never get an alert if you were streaming music. The fact you now can is a real bonus.
I risked the wrath of Porsche by hardwiring a Cheetah C150 into my Macan, but the fuse box is at the opposite side in my Cayenne to the macan so this isn’t as easy to disconnect in a hurry, so I’ve been looking at other options.
I can also confirm that if you connect the phone as an “iPod” & not allow CarPlay to take over then the waze alerts work too.
Still have a little bit more experimentation to do until I’m fully satisfied this will do as I want it to, but safari so goody
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Guy

Post by Guy »

Guy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:08 pm
Guy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:11 pm One of the advanced sound output options in the Waze settings menu is to 'Play as Bluetooth phone call'. I think this should allow you to listen to other (non-phone/Bluetooth) sources (eg FM radio) on the PCM and still receive Waze directions. If I remember I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Just tried this whilst out driving for an hour (IAM practice :) ) and it worked well. I listened to DAB radio whilst using Waze, with my phone simply connected as if to make/receive phone calls. Each time Waze made announcements they came out through the PCM as if it was a phone call from 'My Number' - every small beep and alert came over the speakers, interrupting the radio as it did so. I had to make sure the volume was loud enough on the iPhone, and (as described above) that the following was ticked under advanced sound output options on Waze:
I just wanted to highlight again that the Waze 'play as Bluetooth phone call' sound output works really well in the Macan. I also tried it out in my daughter's Astra, but the problem there was that the audio didn't kick I fast enough, hence the first second or so of the Waze 'announcement' was clipped each time. No such problems in my Macan - the whole message is broadcast each time. This has now become my default setup.

(One disclaimer: I am using PCM3.1, so I can't speak for PCM4 and its Bluetooth phone call response time!)