Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
johnd

Post by johnd »

For anyone that's interested, the embargo on driving reviews was lifted at midnight today. As a result there are a number of print and video reviews already published today, with more sure to follow.

Simplest way to find videos is just to search YouTube for 'Jaguar I-Pace' and then be sure to sort by upload date to avoid a lot of old/recycled dross. So I can see TopGear and Autocar reviews published today already at eg:

Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Interesting.

So TG likes both the iPace and the Tesla Model 3.

I certainly like the look of the light iPace interior as seen in the Autocar review, again interesting review especially comments on the infotech.

A 110 mm lower centre of gravity can only be great for handling, do take note of the Dynamic mode as demonstrated in the Autocar review.

The future is definately EV.

Thanks for posting the vids.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

A lot of what is said in these reviews is very familiar to anyone who has driven a Tesla. Basically you have a powertrain that is a whole order of magnitude smoother and more refined than an equivalent ICE car, especially a diesel! The main downsides being limited range and a lot of extra weight. The latter doesn't affect straight-line performance at all because of the colossal instant torque, but it does have an impact on the ride and handling compromise, especially on undulating roads. But you can counter this to some extent by choosing a sensible wheel size, not that many people will! There are times when I wish my Tesla was set up a little softer, but only on the very worst roads and I've been in plenty of Audis and BMWs that are considerably worse. Sounds like the iPace has a similar ride/handling compromise.

The end result with a powerful EV is a car that provides totally effortless real world A-B performance. When you are pressing on a bit, it doesn't feel in the slightest bit stressful or forced. You just end up smiling at the ridiculous torque delivery. I have no doubt the iPace will be the same when compared with "ordinary" Teslas. The Tesla "P" models are still on another performance planet, but most people don't need it and/or can't afford it! It will be interesting to see if Jaguar step up to the plate with an SVR variant of the iPace, but that could cause concern in their marketing department when it spanks their latest F-Pace SVR!

As both these reviews say, if you can make these cars fit into your lifestyle (i.e. range and charging) then they are way better than petrol, diesel or hybrids for everyday driving. The only caveat being for a track focused car, where you might still prefer the noise and interaction of a petrol car.
Macman

Post by Macman »

To me Jaguar has created a brilliant EV which will appeal to European buyers . It looks much better than the bland Teslas I’ve seen. The iPace has a much nicer looking interior imho and way better dash layout. As the big manufacturers jump on board the EV bandwagon Tesla will need to have sorted out all its financial and production woes, or it will really struggle against this type of competition.

At the moment owning a Porsche makes you very much aware that it’s powered by an ICE through all of the sounds it makes, and for me it’s one of the main reasons for owning one over an EV. If that aural experience ever disappears I’ll miss it a lot, so for me EVs are not on the wish list yet, but Jaguar has moved a bit closer to it with the iPace through all its other advances All that weight and power will surely shred it’s tyres though!
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Deleted User 1874

Macman wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am To me Jaguar has created a brilliant EV which will appeal to European buyers
Or old farts who are struggling with change? Plenty of Europeans and in particular younger people identify with Tesla, that I have observed since driving one and frequenting Tesla forums. If anything it's the more traditional American buyers who struggle the most with it, as it's so far removed from an F150!
Macman

Post by Macman »

Until now Europeans have only had Zoe, Leaf, I3, Tesla to look at, so they’re bound to show some interest in Tesla. I think iPace could change that, it’s a big step forward.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
VanB

Post by VanB »

Competition is good and the more entries to the EV market the better in my book. Competition should help accelerate development of improvements to EVs so that they become ever more practical for a range of users
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
muxty

Post by muxty »

Macman wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am To me Jaguar has created a brilliant EV which will appeal to European buyers . It looks much better than the bland Teslas I’ve seen. The iPace has a much nicer looking interior imho and way better dash layout. As the big manufacturers jump on board the EV bandwagon Tesla will need to have sorted out all its financial and production woes, or it will really struggle against this type of competition.

At the moment owning a Porsche makes you very much aware that it’s powered by an ICE through all of the sounds it makes, and for me it’s one of the main reasons for owning one over an EV. If that aural experience ever disappears I’ll miss it a lot, so for me EVs are not on the wish list yet, but Jaguar has moved a bit closer to it with the iPace through all its other advances All that weight and power will surely shred it’s tyres though!
Different stroke for different folks and it just shows that we value different things.

I've sat in a fully loaded i-Pace twice and to be honest didn't find it very appealing. Dash layout just seems a bit busy and not very thought through. Much prefer the Tesla simplicity and openness in the cabin as well as the overall Tesla design and tech. The jag just felt like another jag. This might be a good thing for the conservative buyer, but there are for sure a customer group who prefer the Tesla approach.

And all this talk about that "when the bigger manufacturers jump onboard the bandwagon...." is getting a bit tiresome. Actually, they will have bigger problems than you might imagine with this transition. Volumes the next coming 5 years are very modest from the "bigger manufacturers" as well as their biggest challenge will be selling them in parallell with their ICE cars. Tesla is a pure EV brand and this gives them a big advantage. The demand for EVs will also be so huge that all cars produced will be sold independent of which brand it is.

We have owned many Porsche in our family and currently still own a 911 GT3. We had a fully loaded Macan Turbo previously, and can honestly say that I don't miss it a single bit. The Tesla just feel so much more contemporary in comparison. It will be fun to test drive the coming EVs from Audi, Porsche etc, but i'm not sure that will be my next vehicle. Based on how good the current Model S is, I'm sure the next gen Model S will be an even better car and might appeal more to me than anything from the German brands. But we'll see about that. Right now, nothing beats the Tesla in terms of convenience, tech and charging infrastructure for longer trips.
Deleted User 1874

Macman wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:56 am Until now Europeans have only had Zoe, Leaf, I3, Tesla to look at, so they’re bound to show some interest in Tesla. I think iPace could change that, it’s a big step forward.
Production volumes of the iPace are going to be so small as to hardly make a dent in the European premium EV demand. They are projecting a production run of 13K units per annum in 2 years time i.e. 250 per week. Tesla sold just over 100K units in 2017, just under half of those Model X and the numbers are climbing significantly year on year.

The iPace is as much an advert for Tesla as it is for Jaguar at the moment! The word Tesla is mentioned multiple times in every single iPace review or video on the planet. If the waiting list for the iPace gets too long, there is a viable alternative you can at least drive today. The iPace would have certainly been on my shortlist had it been available early in 2018, but it simply wasn't an option. Is it even a viable option for late 2018 if you are not already in the queue? I very much doubt it.
Deleted User 1874

muxty wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:23 pm
And all this talk about that "when the bigger manufacturers jump onboard the bandwagon....
As SAC1 likes to remind us at every opportunity - the bigger manufacturers are still pretty tied up with their ICE legacy and will keep churning them out until they can no longer legally do so, which is at least a few decades away. Then there's all the franchised dealers (who IME are mostly old-school wheeler dealers) who must be dreading EVs appearing in their workshops with unfamiliar tech and little routine servicing required. It will be interesting to visit our local Jaguar dealer and see what products they try to push most. Will they draw attention to the iPace if I ask about SUVs or will it be all about deals on an FPace?