Cabin Ventilation Fan Noise

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

i must look at rear vents. it will be an experience to sit in the back.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

Hairymongoose

Post by Hairymongoose »

Tom 2000 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:22 pm I have reduced setting to Soft and will see what the missus says when she is next in car. It’s so distracting when she starts pressing buttons. KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE BUTTONS FFS.
+1 :D
1st 2015 Sapphire SD *Sold*
Current 2018 Rhodium Turbo PP Exclusive
65 Rob

Post by 65 Rob »

After one week of ownership this is the only thing I have found to complain about, fan noise is particularly bad, it also struggles to bring the cabin temp down quickly even with the fan running high. After the lovely Sunday at Beaulieu, opened the roof to let out the hot air, fan on max, temp set to 21 and closed the roof after 10mins. After 60mins the fan was still running at about 75%, it was just about starting to feel cool in the car........but by then I had earache from the fan..!!!
Spoke to OPC about this and they have offered to take the car in and check everything over, however judging by the comments in this thread I shouldn’t hold my breathe that it will get any better.
Anyway, if that’s as bad as it gets with the car I’m still more than happy.

Couldn’t agree more with Tom 2000, I know the passenger has their own controls but don’t they know they are just for show.....blooming leave them alone.....!!
Macan SD, Jet Black Metallic, Panoramic Roof, 21” Turbo’s, PASM, Bose, 14 way Comfort Seats, PDLS + a few other bits.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I've always preferred a cool cabin (18 degrees normally) so have just got used to fan noise whichever car I've driven. Even so the wife always puts her side up to 24 when she gets in the car which throws everything out. There should be a discrete "disable passenger controls" button somewhere!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

65 Rob wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:03 pm After one week of ownership this is the only thing I have found to complain about, fan noise is particularly bad, it also struggles to bring the cabin temp down quickly even with the fan running high. After the lovely Sunday at Beaulieu, opened the roof to let out the hot air, fan on max, temp set to 21 and closed the roof after 10mins. After 60mins the fan was still running at about 75%, it was just about starting to feel cool in the car........but by then I had earache from the fan..!!!
Spoke to OPC about this and they have offered to take the car in and check everything over, however judging by the comments in this thread I shouldn’t hold my breathe that it will get any better.

Couldn’t agree more with Tom 2000, I know the passenger has their own controls but don’t they know they are just for show.....blooming leave them alone.....!!
😂. One of the reasons I’d never pay extra for multi zone airco. I’m captain of my ship! FFS 😂
goron59

Post by goron59 »

What I do in these cases:
  • Open roof+doors for a minute or two before setting off
  • Close everything once going - no point a/c fighting new warm air coming in.
  • Set temp quite high, initially, to reduce fan noise.
  • Lower temp step by step as you go.
Basically, If you set the temp too low from the start, it's like Concorde taking off. Give it a bit less work to do and it's much quieter.

There's also a setting in the MfD to reduce fan noise (at expense of efficiency) but worth it if you like a quieter cabin.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Yes I do that too - pop the temperature up to 22 deg and then reduce it gradually. I also find that a few moments with AC Max on helps too. Also, I press the recirculate air button to allow the car to cool down much quicker.
Macan S D
718 S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

65 Rob wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:03 pm After one week of ownership this is the only thing I have found to complain about, fan noise is particularly bad, it also struggles to bring the cabin temp down quickly even with the fan running high. After the lovely Sunday at Beaulieu, opened the roof to let out the hot air, fan on max, temp set to 21 and closed the roof after 10mins. After 60mins the fan was still running at about 75%, it was just about starting to feel cool in the car........but by then I had earache from the fan..!!!

I had the same symptoms as you not long after the air con was re-gassed. Took the car back to the dealer and they repeated the operation (properly this time, at no charge).

Yesterday, after standing in the sun all day, I ran for five minutes with the roof open (first time in three years of ownership :) ) and within ten minutes of starting the fan had slowed down to normal speed.

As you recently bought your car, it might be worth taking the OPC up on his offer.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The AC in our Macans is cr4p, there is no other way of describing it.

They must have a far better system that they install for Macans going to hot climates because there is no way ours could cope with a 30+ degree C outside temperature.

Mine is struggling today despite the outside air temp showing as 24C.

Recirc on.
AC set to Max
5 minutes later it is comfortable but still nowhere near 19/20.

Tip
If any OPC staff read this pass on the following to Porsche Engineering in Germany.
Get an old Peugeot 206 which has the Auto AC extra fitted and reverse Engineer it into Porsche cars.

I had a 206GTi in black with Auto AC, set at 19C and I never, ever had to change it, within 5 minutes the interior was comfortable whatever the outside temperature, on very hot days it cooled the interior very quickly and without fan noise like the Macan has, it started loud but within a couple of minutes it ramped itself down, it just worked at that was in a new car that cost £15k at the time.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:51 pm The AC in our Macans is cr4p, there is no other way of describing it.

They must have a far better system that they install for Macans going to hot climates because there is no way ours could cope with a 30+ degree C outside temperature.

Mine is struggling today despite the outside air temp showing as 24C.

Recirc on.
AC set to Max
5 minutes later it is comfortable but still nowhere near 19/20
It's been 28C here in Dorset today, and the AC was easily able to cope, with really chilly air coming from the vents after a minute or two. I have the settings on Auto, cabin temp 20C, and have selected 'quiet' fan, or whatever it's called in the options. I agree the fan can be very noisy when starting with a really hot cabin, but it doesn't last long. My last E-class was just the same. Could your system need re-gassing?