Getting rid of 'privacy' glass

The place to discuss everything else..
John_M

Post by John_M »

I'd have quite liked to add the "Thermally and noise insulated glass" option, but didn't want the privacy tint (makes it looks like some wannabe "mobster" to me or a van)

steve w

Post by steve w »

Sounds expensive when you start changing window & screen glass ,I’d search for one that doesn’t have the privacy glass or if you cannot find one would it be such a big deal ,perhaps when you tell the wife how much it’ll cost to change the glass she might decide she likes it.
Steve W
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:05 am I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I can't understand the current fashion for side window privacy glass. It completely spoils the appearance of cars that designers have spent so much time creating and, as far as I can see, has little or no practical purpose. In an SUV, particularly a black one, there is no escaping the fact it makes it look like a van, or even a hearse. And it should be made a criminal offence to add them to a 911!
Nuff said :twisted:

porsche-macan-suv-petrol_35806546.jpg

2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
happy days

Post by happy days »

Ring autoglass.
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

I imagine a rear screen with the heated element won't be cheap
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

How do explain five broken windows outside a war zone?
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

I did contact Autoglass and, interestingly, they replied that they were not taking on 'cash' work as they were so busy with insurance and contract work.
I also spoke with the local Audi dealer who said this kind of request is not unusual, but that its certainly a four-figure sum to replace all the tinted glass. Not a big issue with the rear door window glass, but the rear quarter windows and tailgate windows are bonded in, and more of a hassle, thus expense.
I think I will put this project on hold.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

stallturn wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 am
I think I will put this project on hold.
That's the sensible thing to do. But I wouldn't let glass tint put you off buying a car you otherwise want. I can't say I've ever cared much either way about privacy glass, but clearly a much bigger issue for you! The obvious thing would be to hold fire for a car without the privacy glass in the first place. There must be a few unless it was standard fitment on the S4, which I don't know.
happy days

Post by happy days »

It depends on the colour of the car too. Our silver car suits the darkened windows I think.
Macan S D
718 S