So VW fined a Billion Euros!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

:o
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

= Porsche price increase
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I think they will be relieved - far cheaper than it cost them in the US. From the BBC website:

How serious is this for Volkswagen?
Well, it's a big fine - €1bn is not a small sum. But it pales into insignificance compared with the fines and compensation the group has had to pay out in the US - which add up to well over €20bn
If this puts an end to criminal proceedings in Europe, VW may well think it's a relatively small price to pay. The company has consistently denied that the software fitted to its cars was actually illegal under European law. Nevertheless, it will welcome the disappearance of that particular legal threat.
VW does still face a number of civil lawsuits, brought by disgruntled car owners and shareholders. It's not clear yet what impact VW's admission of "responsibility for the diesel crisis" will have on those proceedings.
But for the moment, it's possible to imagine suits in Wolfsburg breathing a heavy sigh of relief. It could have been worse.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

So the Americans have got lots of money, the German government have now fined/ taxed VW heavily and all the UK gets is lots of particulates from their dodgy diesels Sounds about right.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Like all big corporations in similar positions they’ll have factored this in months and even a year or so ago.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

It seems that the fat lady hasn’t finished singing just yet!

Head of VW's Audi arrested in Germany over diesel scandal

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-volksw ... KKBN1JE0R4
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:40 pm It seems that the fat lady hasn’t finished singing just yet!

Head of VW's Audi arrested in Germany over diesel scandal

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-volksw ... KKBN1JE0R4
........ quote from the Board re text related to knowledge of the cheat software........

..... only low level Managers knew .......

How do I put it ..... lying toerags.

If the Board did not know then they all should be in jail for incompetance.

Then jailed again for lying.

Then jailed again for doing a pi55 poor job of the cheat software.

I think I am running into a pattern here?

Just jail the sods.

Me bitter because I was stupid enough to buy to cars with Audi diesel engines, come to think of that I should be jailed for my own safety.

:roll:
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Maybe we should compare this with the delights of owning a Mazda with the 2.2 D engine.

I've got a lot of invoices in the history file for work on the EGR and a replacement turbo (at 60k miles).

The DPF regeneration puts surplus diesel into the sump so over time the oil is diluted; when it gets to 5mm over full you are advised to change the oil, this is a fundamental design fault.

Eventually burnt fuel pushes too much carbon into the oil from the injectors and the oil pickup blocks, usually killing the engine.

I might have dodged a bullet by being observant but really would have preferred a VW engine in there, especially with all that nice software to make sure it passes the MOT every year!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Well I'm certainly not buying another VW or Audi on principle. I think it would be unfair to lump Porsche in because they happen to be owned by VAG and were probably using their engines in good faith. Well I hope that is the case anyway.

The sooner these diesel engines are history, the better as far as I'm concerned.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Brand new 2018 models of various makes are being produced with diesel engines. Indeed some are ONLY available with them.

Let's get in perspective. No ban until 2040 and even then it will be for new registrations.

A lot more needs to be done in the next 22 years to determine the best motive power. For sure it will not be 100% BEV.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver