Power steering fail

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
macaram001

Post by macaram001 »

I have a 2015 Macan S that I bought Certified Pre Owned couple of months ago. Mileage is ~45,000 miles. I didn't have any issues so far until one day last week, the following error pops up with a yellow steering wheel sign.

"Steering support restricted Adapted driving permitted".

I was in a parking garage and when I started driving, I could feel the steering vibrating at low speeds especially while turning. I drove it for a couple of minutes in the parking garage and every time I turned the car off and back on, the message would pop back up. I left the car there and when I came back the next day, the message still popped up. I once again drove it for a couple of minutes in the garage and now, the following message popped up with a yellow steering wheel sign.

"Power steering fail Increased effort Driving permitted".

Power steering wasn't working any more. It took a lot of effort to steer. The interesting thing I noted after driving out of the garage was that there was fluid leaking under the car. I then went back and looked back at the couple of parking spots where I had parked the car since the messages popped up and sure enough, there were areas where it seemed like a dark fluid had dried up. I'm not sure if it's the power steering fluid leaking though another user on this forum had indicated having a gearbox oil leak and having the gearbox replaced before this message popped up.

The car is at the dealership now. It's 4th of July here in the US and I won't hear from them for another 1-2 days. Anyone have any thoughts? Do I have a 'lemon'??

BE8E9CBA-32D7-46AA-89EF-AADD853B4025.jpeg

E978AA21-CCD0-4F36-823C-A32E14AB430D.jpeg

r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Hi there,

My issues didnt develop like yours, i just had the failure & same dash warning.
A couple of ignition off resets until it just failed.
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The steering mechanics are common throughout the Macan range.

The power steering weighting is simply a software enhancement, btw this software is standard inclusion in the US but that is not the case here in the UK where it is a paid for extra.

It may well be that you are suffering from a software glitch with the liquid being drained water from the AC heat exchanger, it the liquid was hydraulic fluid it would still have an oily feel to it and that may mean at least an oil seal failure.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

There are two threads running on this topic.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

On-Track wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 pm There are two threads running on this topic.
Have you read them both ;)
2 different members, different sides of the world and different symptoms but same error message
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
macaram001

Post by macaram001 »

Thank you for your replies guys. The dealership called and said that they're looking into it today. I'll keep you guys posted.

And yes, there are two threads because even though the error messages are the same, symptoms are different. Leaking of the fluid started a day after the messages started popping up - I'm curious to find out what they discover.
andreas

Post by andreas »

macaram001 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm Thank you for your replies guys. The dealership called and said that they're looking into it today. I'll keep you guys posted.

And yes, there are two threads because even though the error messages are the same, symptoms are different. Leaking of the fluid started a day after the messages started popping up - I'm curious to find out what they discover.
They won't find a leak from the steering system, as it's purely electromechanical.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
macaram001

Post by macaram001 »

I agree with you. I would just like to know what two things decided to fall apart at the same time lol.
Paul

Post by Paul »

As Col says above - I would suspect the fluid under the car to be water dripping down down from the a/c
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

For anyone interested, here's some pictures of the steering gear: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-Macan-n ... Swd3dZX43b