Another desperate owner with DPF issues

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Shambam

Post by Shambam »

Dear forum,

I'm a little slow on tech matters and have only just found forums and this wealth of info.

I know this topic has been covered but I'm having very little success with the dealer and could really do with some practical advice.

Here'a the problem:

I bought my macan new in oct 2017 and after 1000 miles per month (both motorway amd town) the car went into limp mode in April 2018. It was late and with kids in the back, I felt helpless and need to be rescued. Yes Im a woman and not used to feeling helpless.

Porsche assist came and towed the car away. Days later the fixed car and was returned. The issue was a clogged dpf filter.

6 weeks later the same thing happened and I nearly had an accident as a car behind me couldn't understand why I was driving so slowly.

Porsche collected the car and again the dpf filter was clogged despite the fact that I have weekly taken the car at 2000 revs for 30 mins on motorway.

Porsche are telling me the car is fixed but I cannot drive a car that makes me feel unsafe, is unreliable and doesn't do what a car should do.

I have made this clear to the dealer. After a couple fo weeks of trying to find a solution, we have arrived at the following:

1) they have offered to buy my car at a loss of £7k to me

2) I buy a new macan s petrol which is not as good as my current spec but at a cost of an extra £10.

3) I takeep macan I bought back and live with it

I dont feel that either solution is a real solution as I bought porsche and the car has not fulfilled it primary goal.

I have done some googling about rejecting the car as unfit for purpose but am really out of my depth. Has anyone who has been through this car rejecting route. What do I do next and do I need to get a solicitor? It's seems that other owners that had their issue resolve with a better result that didn't cost them

? Is that right?

I don't think the dealer is sympathetic and keeps telling me the car is fixed. But having happened twice, how many times does the car need to fail or something serious happen before I get a sensible solution.

I know a few forum members have had similar issues.

Can anyone provide any help, advice on the rejettison process.

Any guidance appreciated.

S

johnd

Post by johnd »

You really need to describe the make-up of a typical month's driving. Obviously it can't be exact, but can you provide some idea?

IME the SD needs to get properly up to temperature for some significant distance eg once a week, which translates to a decent quick drive of maybe 20-25 miles, preferably more. If 90% of the journeys are short/slow trips of 10 minutes or 5-10 miles then a quick motorway blast once a month isn't going to clear the DPF adequately I suspect, even if the monthly mileage is 1K.

If you're not giving the SD a reasonable workout eg once a week then it's perhaps not surprising that the DPF is getting blocked. But maybe it is getting what would normally be enough exercise, in which case there may be some other underlying issue like a dodgy sensor.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Shambam

Post by Shambam »

Hi John,

Mon-Fri, the car does 30 mins town running daily. Every other weekend, we visit family which means an hour each way on the m25.

Does this help?

S
johnd

Post by johnd »

Well, the M25 is hardly celebrated as the world's most free-running motorway, though obviously it depends on time of day and section. But I assume that quite a lot of the time it's either stop/start traffic or maybe limited to 40-50mph on average, in which case the engine isn't really opening its lungs. So if my guess is correct then it's not really the ideal journey profile for a DPF-equipped diesel of any make.

There's others here more experienced than me with DPF issues but I suspect the answer is either to switch to a petrol or to adapt your driving style, eg when you do hit a more open stretch of M25, flick it into manual and use the paddles to run for a useful distance like 10+ miles in 5th gear at eg 2500rpm or even more. Sorry I can't make out from your post whether this is what you've been doing or not, but if you haven't tried manual mode then it's dead easy (fun, even) but you do just need to remember that you're now responsible for charging gear, ie if you slow into a jam then knock the gears back into auto or use the paddles as necessary.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

That should not clog a DPF filter. It seems to be fairly random and a few of the cars do seem to have a problem. Yours sounds to be one of them. But to my mind, the driving that you are doing should not clog the DPF. I do about 10k miles/year. 5-9 miles in the morning (depends if I drop the children at school). Other journeys of 5-10 miles through the week and a longer run once/week of 16 miles each way. Plus various other bits and bobs and longer runs. I don't drive like an idiot (!) but do put my foot down a bit. I have had the DPF light on and immediately done a regen and not had any problems. Tempting fate here, but mine seems to work as intended thus far.
Others have talked about seeing the dealer principal and someone did get a replacement petrol S (I forget who). Perhaps you can negotiate a better deal since it doesn't seem to be fit for purpose for you - but I don't have any personal experience of doing that sort of thing. Good luck!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Sorry to hear of your problems.

When you ordered the SD did the SE explain about the need to drive the car in a mode that will initiate regen?

Did they also discuss your driving profile (stop/start, local journeys, longer trips etc)?

Did they also explain on handover about ensuring you drive regularly to ensure DPF regen?

Did they tell you the specifics about DFP management?

If there is an answer No to any of the above they failed a duty of care.

The DPF issues have been known for over two years and ignorance on their part does not gel.

Discuss with them but in the course of the discussion I suggest that you advise that you will contact Porsche GB to register displeasure with and distrust of the SD and what your OPC offers.

Others here have had a full refund but that said there is generally an ownership time limit for that to occur.

£7k loss in the 9 months is not to bad though.

I would certainly get rid of the SD and move over to a Car Manufacturer that can make a diesel that works.

I had an SD and whilst I did not have DPF issue I was glad to see the back of it, a Porsche deserves a powerful petrol engine.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Shambam

Post by Shambam »

John,

The m25,m23,m1, m4 and others....!

Just to fill in a few more details....

After the car was first taken in and porsche explained the issue the car to me, the car was then every fortnight (in manual, at 2500 revs, for 25 mins) just to run the engine and clear the filter.

Yet it happened again....
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

It sounds to me like you have a faulty engine. Bear in mind that this engine is used across the whole VW Audi group and there must be thousands of owners doing similar profile journeys to yourself

I suggest that if you are no longer getting help from the dealership that you take it up with Porche Cars GB. I think they are based in Reading so a google search should find them (unless someone has a name and address to supply on the forum)

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

I would try out the following:
1) drive in sport mode as much as possible
2) fill her up with premium diesel
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

I would try out the following: