Another desperate owner with DPF issues

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Although I am still a lover of the Diesel engine, as others have said “ Do you want the car to own you” ?. Having been on this forum for over a year and a half now and of reading of all the DPF problems, as well as refunds , and car swaps , and endless loan cars . My Choice was based on these facts , its clearly unacceptable to have to adjust you driving habits to suit a premium brand car. Personally I would change to petrol, yes it does cost me more but I don’t have the worry. Hope you get it sorted.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Good point Mike.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

The pollution control legislation has been pushed in far too fast.

This doesn't allow for sufficient long term testing and research.

We run a few diesels and the maintenance costs involved with new diesels including site visits and engine rebuilds have far more than written off any environmental benefit from marginal emission controls. The associated repair costs are ridiculous; it used to be £6 per cylinder and half an hour to put in a new set of injectors but now we're over £300 plus a couple of hours on the laptop recalibrating.

EGR valves are an underdeveloped technology too, when they go wrong you can damage the engine.

My work truck is diesel and I've developed DPF anxiety; I try to avoid revs below 2000 and push it hard to keep the DPF warm enough, working so far!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Paul

Post by Paul »

...like the introduction of catalytic converters in the early ‘90s; legislation stated “ you must only produce xyz from the back of the car.”

The quickest and easiest way was to bung a cat in the system with all the failures that ensued (just like dpfs currently) - putting leaded fuel in, bumping up kerbs etc etc not to mention a proliferation of thefts to get to the platinum element.

Honda and Austin Rover were jointly developing “ lean burn” technology which would have given a similar result but not in the right time-scale......so it was abandoned.

As I’ve said before....it all depends what gas is being measured as flavour of the month.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Paul wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:06 am ...like the introduction of catalytic converters in the early ‘90s; legislation stated “ you must only produce xyz from the back of the car.”

The quickest and easiest way was to bung a cat in the system with all the failures that ensued (just like dpfs currently) - putting leaded fuel in, bumping up kerbs etc etc not to mention a proliferation of thefts to get to the platinum element.

Honda and Austin Rover were jointly developing “ lean burn” technology which would have given a similar result but not in the right time-scale......so it was abandoned.

As I’ve said before....it all depends what gas is being measured as flavour of the month.
Totally spot on Paul.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the whole Cat system was strongly pushed within the Eu by Germany as they had the monopoly of the design and materials.

Lean Burn had the most potential to offer low pollutants.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Hi Shambam

I was in an almost identical position as you regarding the DPF. However, I purchased my car on PCP in August 2017. I had done only 1200 miles when it happened and that was in January/Feb 2018. I didn't wait for a second time - I felt this wasn't working from the start for me.

Some of the comments on here are bang on and some, I feel, merely add to the confusion (fuel quality may be a slight issue but software bits really aren't). After having an in-depth chat with the Porsche service team, they confirmed that these SD's really need to stretch their legs. Although you may be doing the odd thrash up the motorway, that does not of itself clear the problem. The car will not necessarily regen when you do that, ie it is not upon command. The car really, almost always, has to be up to temperature, as is mentioned, for it to operate optimally. They hate stop/start traffic and hate short trips. I dare say the reason your's got clogged is because of the build up resulting from short trips, the car then starting a regen but then stopping when you turned the car off! That stops the process and then has to be restarted. It's quite a mind bend.

Anyway, cut a long story short, I approached my Porsche OPC and negotiated an entry into a petrol S. There is no doubt that it will cost you something, it did me, but asking for a full refund at this stage will more than likely get you nowhere - forget legal, you'll wear too much cost for getting minimal return. I find that where you are ready to meet in the middle, they will do everything they can to make things right. I was also a first time buyer and they were keen to retain me. It's not in their interest to wave away customers. You are also at a stage where there is no spare capacity in production which means that this might be a drawn out problem - raise it with them immediately and see if they can meet you some way into changing into another vehicle when available (that is assuming you wish to do so). It will cost you something but will, at least, give some peace if this isn't working.

Hope that helps and good luck. It was my experience!

G
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Shambam wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:38 pm Dear forum,

I'm a little slow on tech matters and have only just found forums and this wealth of info.

I know this topic has been covered but I'm having very little success with the dealer and could really do with some practical advice.

Here'a the problem:

I bought my macan new in oct 2017 and after 1000 miles per month (both motorway amd town) the car went into limp mode in April 2018. It was late and with kids in the back, I felt helpless and need to be rescued. Yes Im a woman and not used to feeling helpless.

Porsche assist came and towed the car away. Days later the fixed car and was returned. The issue was a clogged dpf filter.

6 weeks later the same thing happened and I nearly had an accident as a car behind me couldn't understand why I was driving so slowly.

Porsche collected the car and again the dpf filter was clogged despite the fact that I have weekly taken the car at 2000 revs for 30 mins on motorway.

Porsche are telling me the car is fixed but I cannot drive a car that makes me feel unsafe, is unreliable and doesn't do what a car should do.

I have made this clear to the dealer. After a couple fo weeks of trying to find a solution, we have arrived at the following:

1) they have offered to buy my car at a loss of £7k to me

2) I buy a new macan s petrol which is not as good as my current spec but at a cost of an extra £10.

3) I takeep macan I bought back and live with it

I dont feel that either solution is a real solution as I bought porsche and the car has not fulfilled it primary goal.

I have done some googling about rejecting the car as unfit for purpose but am really out of my depth. Has anyone who has been through this car rejecting route. What do I do next and do I need to get a solicitor? It's seems that other owners that had their issue resolve with a better result that didn't cost them

? Is that right?

I don't think the dealer is sympathetic and keeps telling me the car is fixed. But having happened twice, how many times does the car need to fail or something serious happen before I get a sensible solution.

I know a few forum members have had similar issues.

Can anyone provide any help, advice on the rejettison process.

Any guidance appreciated.

S
Hi Shambam,

As you might have gathered from some of the other responses, a Macan diesel does not take too kindly to a lot of short journeys. You are obviously unhappy with the car and from your option 1) it would seem your OPC has some sympathy with your position.

For a car 7-8 months old with a mileage equivalent to 12k per year, a buy back offer of £7k less than purchase price seems fair. In my opinion you might struggle to get more by formally rejecting the car, particularly as the OPC says he has fixed the problem.

Taking the offer gets rid of the problem car but replacing it with a new petrol one will take time. It would seem that your OPC has one in stock so it's up to you whether you go for that or wait for a new (facelifted) model which could be up to six months.

If you decide to go down the formal rejection process, you're invoking the Sale of Goods Act. The problem you will face (in my view) is that the dealer states that he has remedied the defect. If the car fails again within the next six to eight weeks then will have a case that on two occasions the dealer has had the opportunity to remedy the defect and has failed. As I said earlier, the OPC seems to be making a buy back offer with only a charge for the use you have had of the car. Getting that last £7k might cost you nearly as much in legal fees,

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
coulsda2

Post by coulsda2 »

Heres another angle that you may wish to consider....

If I was you I would seriously consider taking this as an opportunity to change from a diesel to a petrol.
You may lose up to 7k now but I fear the depreciation later for diesels will be a lot higher.

of course if you loved the car and it was a long term keeper thats a different matter but if you have lost confidence and its no longer a keeper then push them hard to reduce the 7k loss and my advice would be to bite the bullet.

of course everyone will have an opinion and you should ultimately decide what fits for you.

Good luck

D
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ Or just go on a long trip every other weekend. Drive a couple of hours on some good roads to a nice hotel, have a nice meal, do some sightseeing. Maybe go abroad. Spend £200-300 on each trip and after a year re-evaluate whether you'd have been better off swapping your SD for a £7k 'loss' and staying at home :D
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

My experience with my Macan diesels is as follows:
1st Macan SD bought May 2014 and sold May 2015 with about 8000 miles. Monday to Friday mainly short town driving with regular 30 min each way runs on Motorway at weekends . No issues with DPF and no regen warning lights.

2nd Macan May 2015 to March 2018. 23,000 miles. No issues for first 2 years and no regen warning lights. At 2 years old it had its first and only service when the software for the Engine management system was updated. I then had DPF regen warning lights about every 3 months which necessitated a 20 min run down Motorway at 2000+ revs to clear the filter ( note that the warning light goes out after a couple of mins but you should keep on running for at least 20 mins).

3rd Macan March 2018 to date. As with last car I get the regen about every 3 months. The DPF is clearly now collecting more soot than the original software settings which necessitates burning off during regen.

My advice is always try to have at least half a tank of diesel ( avoid supermarket fuel ) as the regen will not work if tank is low on fuel. As soon as warning light comes on take the car for a spirited run at a minimum of 2000 rpm + ( use sport mode in manual ) for 20 to 30 mins. Turn off aircon/ heated seats and anything else with a high load when doing the run.

It would be useful if we could actually see what % soot is in the filter so as to know when the warning was going to come on. It would also be useful if we could force a regen at times when we were on the motorway.

During my ownership I have never had the car go into limp mode and not had to have a forced regen carried out at the dealership.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.