Scooby

Post by Scooby »

The matt black wheels are really doing my head in
They were coated as part of detailing but evertime i clean them they look awful
My question is
Has anyone had there wheels painted gloss and are they easier to keep clean

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I have gloss black 21” Classics. They are very easy to clean and look great when just washes but road dust after a mile or two leaves them looking dull.
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

IMG_1422.JPG

I was very unsure about high gloss black wheels on our Mini JCW but our detailer polished them up and coated them in ceramic sealant and they are now very easy to clean. You just have to ensure you do not allow hard water spots to dry on so I towel dry them after washing. Matt black is certainly more difficult to maintain effectively.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Scooby wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:52 am The matt black wheels are really doing my head in
They were coated as part of detailing but evertime i clean them they look awful
My question is
Has anyone had there wheels painted gloss and are they easier to keep clean
Couldn't you simply get the matt wheels lacquered? Isn't a gloss finish simply lacquered matt?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Not a direct answer re gloss painting, but I’ve recently switched to Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner which I spray on once I’ve given the wheels a quick power wash.

Leave to dwell while I do the rest of the car and then finish off with wheel woolies. You do have to dry them off and I them smear on some quick detailer and I find them fine (until next time!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I switched to this product after it winning auto express test... but I’m sure I only paid £10? Great product will not change .... also wheel Woollys are fantastic.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

We have had members who have had their wheels sprayed/powder coated.

Do a search and you may find their posts.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

There doesn't seem to be a quick and easy method of cleaning matt black wheels, or if there is I haven't found it yet! And just when you think you've got them clean you take the car for a spin to dry the brakes and you find the rusty water from inside the brake discs has sprayed all round the inside of the wheels! :evil:

So if I ever solve this one I'll let you know!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Air vac?
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Hot air vac or more commonly used dog dryer can help a lot when drying off wheels.