Warranty - void period - what to do?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Ok, So I got greedy and bought 2 cars within a very short time of each other.

It was all about man maths (at least that's what i told Mrs Wilpert)

Basically, Mrs has been using our old but reliable, RR sport TDV8 diesel, a bit of a beast but a solid car, with 133k on the dial.
i was in in a decent and sensible BMW 430d X drive, again a solid car but it wasnt what I'd been used to and i just yearned for my Porsche back.

So I sold the beemer and bought a very low miles Boxster 981 s, which is a lovely little car, a bit heavy on the juice for a daily and i do cover quite a few miles, (up to 500 a week) hence me getting one with low miles to give me some catch up time.

Anyway, stay with me on this long story - Mrs Wilpert got a new job and shes doing 40 miles a day and some more at weekends. So i bit the bullet and bought her a Macan DS.

So we now have the Boxster - my daily
the Macan Mrs W's daily
AND the RR sport - my intended winter wheels to rest up the Boxster as its well sorted and not worth a lot to a buyer due to the high miles.

Problem I have is that both the Boxster and the Macan, only have around 4 weeks of warranty left and I can't extend it until i have owned them for 3 months.
So what do i do, risk it and just keep driving both of our daily drivers - then get the warranty as soon as Porsche will allow?
Or rest up one of them and use the RR until I can get the Warranties.

Just to expand on the warranty thing - for those who don't know, you can only get a Porsche warranty after 3 months of ownership and when a multipoint check has been done by Porsche.

Am I being paranoid and overthinking things, FWIW both cars are up to date with service and both have a 12 month MOT.

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

The problem you have is that the inspection will be done after the current warranty period has expired. Is there any way of getting the inspection done sooner, even if you can't buy the warranty straight away? That way any current issues that you haven't identified can be sorted under the current warranty before it expires. Otherwise you will be liable for them before you can buy the extension.
If not, then who knows? Sitting a car in the garage for 2 months is a bit tedious and still won't solve any current issues. Difficult one.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

As said, it would be good to get both cars checked under current warranty. After that they both should be fine for a while.
Paul

Post by Paul »

“ overthinking” probably....😉

Presumably both cars are only just under 3 yrs old?

Speak to your local dealership; I’m sure 2 full price multi-point checks done now with the promise of 2 full price extended warranties in 3 months time would be attractive to them.

You are also demonstrating to them that you value manufacturer support and that they are likely to get more business off you in the future.

You’d be very unlucky if anything happened to a 3 yr old car, and even if it did you would get a degree of goodwill from Porsche if you have struck up a relationship locally.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Weatherald

Post by Weatherald »

The main issue is the transfer box on the Macao. Check it doesn’t jump or clunk when reversing on slippery or wet surfaces. It’s a known issue and there is a modification on later cars.
Just a thought, mine was replaced at 15k. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neil
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Isn't the dealer required to give a minimum 3 month warranty?

I've had a few claims under that.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

6 months I think.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

There’s actually no obligation for a used car dealer to give a warranty at all, BUT, you are covered by the relatively new 2015 consumer rights act which means, effectively you can reject the car during the first 6 months if it develops a fault which the dealer can’t reasonably repair.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Paul wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:32 pm There’s actually no obligation for a used car dealer to give a warranty at all, BUT, you are covered by the relatively new 2015 consumer rights act which means, effectively you can reject the car during the first 6 months if it develops a fault which the dealer can’t reasonably repair.
Thanks all for your comments,

Macan seller was a sale or return dealership and he just said there is still some warranty left. He was in regular touch with the seller but he was in the states and it would have taken weeks to get an extended warranty carried out so he met me part way towards the cost. I am not complaining here at all, I got a good deal and the paperwork all looks good including new MOT, visual health check from Porsche just a few weeks prior to sale and service under 10k miles ago.

the Boxster seller was a large 4 x 4 dealership who took the car in PX, they had so many cars that they didnt know what they were doing, they even lost the service book, which I had to get replaced, as the car was so low mileage, I was able to trace the history of servicing through Porsche but they realy were hopeless with their paperwork. Again, Im not complaining, as the car is spot on and well priced.

The only thing thats causing me a problem, is that Porsche cannot warranty either car unless the health check has just been done, i.e. within 7 days of the healthcheck.

Both cars still have warranty until late august, so I will only be without warranty for about 6 weeks max.
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

I spoke with East London Porsche, with what I thought was a decent proposal:

I told them I have 2 cars, Macan and Boxster S.
Both cars will run out of warranty in late August.
i can't purchse extended warranty until I've owned both cars for 3 months, as standard.
Im happy to have the 111 point check and then put the warranty on.
I also advised that I will need to get the Navigation upgrade on both cars, which involves software update (this is over 400 quid per vehicle)
Told them I have now owned 6 Porsches, including one I bought from them 2 years ago brand new.
Asked what incentive they could offer on my intended purchase of 111 point checks x 2 extended warranty x 2 and nav upgrades x 2

They told me, we can give you 5% discount on brake discs!

They really know how to win over a customer don't they!!