Sensor behind rear view mirror

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

I've noticed my Macan has 3 sensors behind the rear view mirror. One trapezium shaped one viewable from outside, another below it viewable from outside, but there is also one behind the left side of the mirror viewable from inside the car. It's a rectangle shaped hole with a sensor behind it.

I was planning on attaching a dash cam behind the left side of the mirror as it is less conspicuous, however,it looks like it could block this sensor. Does anyone know what this sensor is, I couldn't find anything related to it in the manuals. Is it a light sensor to detect darkness and switch on headlights?

Paul

Post by Paul »

You could be right, there is also some sort if humidity sensor somewhere linked to the a/c.....whatever it is it’s there for a purpose and better left to do whatever jts’ job is.

Search Nuclear Nick’s post on dashcam installation...some useful pics there.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

I think it could be the ambient light sensor after a bit of Googling. I suppose I could test the sensor by covering it and see what happens internally to the lighting, and headlights. I don't want to add the dashcam to the screen yet, as it has a 3M attachment and if it interferes with the ambient light sensor, it will probably leave a residue on the screen if I want to move it later.
Macman

Post by Macman »

It might just be for the automatic dimming rear view mirror, if you have that option.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

There’s a lane assist camera/sensor on my car somewhere although not sure where. So if you have lane assist could it be that?
I reckon just cover it up and then see what stops working. Would be interested to know.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

Macman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:13 pm It might just be for the automatic dimming rear view mirror, if you have that option.
I have the automatic dimming for rear view, I think the sensor for that is on the front of the mirror to detect bright headlights from behind.

The sensor behind the mirror I think is either for checking darkness outside or for checking oncoming cars to lower brightness of high beam. Not entirely sure.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

sukyb wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 am I don't want to add the dashcam to the screen yet, as it has a 3M attachment and if it interferes with the ambient light sensor, it will probably leave a residue on the screen if I want to move it later.
I've moved mine once or twice. If you have a replacement 3M sticker you can pull of the attachment, discard the old sticker and attach the bracket to the new location. Residue from the old sticker can easily be cleaned off with Autoglym tar remover. It works a treat on lots of sticky residues. ;)
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

Thanks, I will give that a try. Cheers everyone for your input.