New Member and advice please

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Davidg1230

Post by Davidg1230 »

Morning, Just joined as I've finally decided a Macan is for me and the next car purchase. Budget wise I'm stuck with looking at early 2014/15 models and have my eye on 2015 Diesel S. It has quite high mileage (60k) but has the added benefit from a further 9 months extended warranty. The car has had the 111 point check and warranty doesn't expire until Mar 19. From the photos the car looks great but will be going to see it this weekend.

What should I be looking out for? From what I can tell, the car has just done motorway miles and not much stop/start city driving (hence the higher mileage). Generally, do the Macans have an achilles heel or are they well sorted.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

There are minor niggles with the Macan.

Major issues are with the transfer box if that needs replacing, if new discs are required it is a couple of grand.

Do make sure that the service is not due with a few months or that is another few hundred.

Early Macans were very basic with 8way seats, no PASM, no rear heating controls, no Mobile Telephone connections, no SatNav, no RevCam, 18” wheels the list goes on. Hence Extras needed to be added to make the car user friendly. Early SDs were c£43k with most buyers adding c£12k plus of extras.

SDs can suffer from DPF issues far more than Audi models using the same engine (its an Audi sourced engine). Do search and read up on this and if your usage is short journeys, then my advice would be to ignore an SD and only consider a petrol S. If you definately are after an SD and do only short journeys do make sure you drive even couple of weeks in manual at over 2000 rpm for 1/2 hour at a constant speed to hopefully initiate the DPF regen cycle.

The SD has great initial pick up when in Sport mode, in standard mode plant the foot and wait, its pretty sluggish, nothing is wrong its just the engine and gearbox maps that Porsche use, Sport mode uses different maps to make the engine far more responsive.

BTW the LCD screen in the centre dash and its associated IT system changed in mid 2016.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Davidg1230

Post by Davidg1230 »

Thanks, the one I'm looking at does have enough toys (reverse cam, satnav). I've been reading the forum and getting a feel of the important issues so hopefully I can identify some of these issues when seeing the car. Having the extended warranty is certainly giving me that extra comfort if something big does go wrong.
Col M

Post by Col M »

I think the satnav gave you Bluetooth connectivity but check.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Paul

Post by Paul »

Col M wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:05 pm I think the satnav gave you Bluetooth connectivity but check.
...sadly not...on my November 2015 SD I had to pay for both....☹️ Bluetooth became standard fairly quickly afterwards...circa April 2016 (?)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Davidg1230

Post by Davidg1230 »

So it transpires, this dealer doesn't have a very reputation and a friend who lives next to this place has encountered many irate customers trying to get their money back due to being sold duff cars. Looks like I'll need to keep searching.

Thanks for the advice from all of you.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I would not buy such a high mileage car anyway. Generally a few pounds more can shave a lot of miles off a purchase so keep hunting as there are a few for sale.

As Col says I would avoid diesel unless your driving really demands it. Do the sums and see what an extra 10mpg will cost you in a year and it might not be huge. Factor in potential higher depreciation on the diese and that might help sway your choice. The fact diesels have been effectively discontinued would put me right off to be honest.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Mid to large size SUVs come predominantly with diesel engines. several manufacturers are introducing brand new 2018/9 models SUVs with diesel. For example the VW Touareg.

Macans with diesel engines are the most popular in the age / price bracket that you are looking at and will give you the best value for money. They are well proven and durable.

Yes you need to ensure it fits your motoring pattern. No EU6 diesel will do well if driven gently all the time and just on short low speed stop/start 'commuter traffic runs'. However, the SDs are really brilliant vehicles. Not to mention consuming half the fuel of a petrol Macan.

i suggest that you test drive a petrol and a diesel and decide for your self.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Contrary to what SAC1 says about fuel consumption.

My SD never, ever showed anywhere near 40 mpg on the MFD, well it did, going downhill coasting.

Actual measured mpg was a lowly 33.

Current Turbo averaging c22 mpg.

Would expect a petrol S to be averaging c26mpg.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Davidg1230

Post by Davidg1230 »

My driving type is not heavy use, city mainly and not much motorway. A petrol version would be the ideal choice as I don't do many annual miles, say 3.5k to 4.5k annually. I also live in central London so would prefer a petrol due to the forthcoming ULEZ charging. I've just sold my Merc CLS because of this reason but looking around I don't think I can afford a petrol Macan. I've also been looking at a hybrid Cayenne as an alternative, but my budget means these will be quite old (5 years??) Fuel and runningcosts are not the issue, just really the initial purchase cost.

My budget is low 30's, not high 30's, hence resigning myself to a diesel.