New commuter

The place to discuss everything else..
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

Please be aware this is a non Macan query !!!

I currently have a Macan S which i adore, however i use an ultra economical Golf diesel for commuting. The Golf has served me very well however the mileage is touching 125k now and i am concerned it may start to let me down. I am in the market for something similar and have been looking at the A Class 1.5 diesel. Does anyone have any knowledge of what these are like with regards fuel economy, drive etc etc

happy days

Post by happy days »

Another Golf?
Macan S D
718 S
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Sorry, no experience of an A Class, only drove one as a hire car for a few days, but it was a basic petrol. Did not like it much, mainly the user interface of the communication / navigation thingy. :lol:

I think that the Golfs go on forever. If you know the car is reliable and you are happy with it, I would stick with it. You might swap and get a lemon. 125,000 miles on the odometer is still "young", good for another 100,000. ;)

Unless you fancy a new toy for the commute really and hence the want of a change. ;)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Paul

Post by Paul »

As above, if you’ve been happy with the Golf hang in to it. You can always by an insured warranty for some peace of mind.... VW diesels do go on for ever if used properly (ie many miles and regular maintenance - its the same basic mechanics as in the ever-popular Skoda Octavia taxi product you see everywhere)
If you fancy a change and want to spend some cash then “same again” wouldn’t be a bad choice!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Or if you want a "new frock" look then do try a SEAT Leon particularly in FR trim and especially with the 'Technology' pack. They use the same diesel engines that you find in the Golf.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Hi j5col

I can’t remember everything we discussed at the bar on hols but I think you mentioned it is a 12 reg. if it is currently reliable and you have it serviced every 12 months then there is no reason why you should not get a few more years out of it. Most of your mileage is motorway and the golf will eat it up

Another second hand car could give you untold issues as you are not the one that has looked after it previously

Good luck.

I see that our boys are regularly on the PlayStation together or FaceTiming
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

Ha ha yeah we did chat about it, i am really torn as to what to do, hence the post.

Oh Fortnite and the boys, they are relentless, good way for them to keep in touch though !!

Any news on the (cough cough) cayman ??
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

j5kol wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:34 am i use an ultra economical Golf diesel for commuting.
Why not go mega-economical for your commute in an e-Golf?
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I ran a BMW 120D for seven years and 140,000 miles. Had a 5 year service pack with it, when I sold it it didn't even have a rattle. Only spent money on tyres and the last 2 years servicing. Never let me me down even once. A good oil burner can go on for donkeys years. There's a lot to be said for knowing the history and whether it's a good car. I say keep it.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

j5kol wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 am Ha ha yeah we did chat about it, i am really torn as to what to do, hence the post.

Oh Fortnite and the boys, they are relentless, good way for them to keep in touch though !!

Any news on the (cough cough) cayman ??
The dark blue Cayman was not the perfect spec and when I am parting with that much cash it has to be perfect

My head is ruling my heart at the moment. I will keep my golf for one last winter so it makes sense to wait until early next year when there will be a greater number of cars on Porsche used list as the factory is back open and new deliveries will be in full force.

Also, at the price point I am looking at, a 5-6 year 991.1 comes in to play with less than 20k miles versus an almost new 718 Cayman. Ultimately it is a 911 I would like. Will have to weigh things up next year as it will have to stand up to being a daily driver

First world problems 😀

I believe you guys had a great run back from Gatwick
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0