Explore New Macan on Porsche GB Website

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

It all depends on what you mean by making sense.

The Macan is based on the platform of the previous generation Q5 so it makes technical sense that there was no provision in the platform design for a hybrid or electric drive system. Whether it makes commercial sense for Porsche to wait until 2022 to come up with an electric or hybrid version is another matter. At the moment the Macan is Porsche's best selling model. If that starts to change in the coming years then Porsche might bring forward its replacement date. If people keep buying relatively high performance SUVs with ICE power then I'm sure Porsche will be happy to sell them.

My crystal ball is a little foggy at the moment so we'll just have to wait and see.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

steve w wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 pm Peteski
It would take more than a new model to tempt me back to any JLR product,I’ve had them poor build quality,poor reliability and dire dealership service,Porsche beat them in every way,
Another point you’d have to be a very brave man or just plain stupid to purchase any new model from JLR give it 3 years for them to iron the problems out before even considering purchasing one.
Steve W
I probably wouldn't buy an iPace either because I'm not that into the Jag brand in general, but at least they've made some effort to move into the future with a full EV. A new set of lights and mild interior refresh is not going to bring me back to a Porsche SUV. Maybe 2022 will bring something much more interesting, when my Tesla PCP is up.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

On-Track wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:05 pm It all depends on what you mean by making sense.

The Macan is based on the platform of the previous generation Q5 so it makes technical sense that there was no provision in the platform design for a hybrid or electric drive system. Whether it makes commercial sense for Porsche to wait until 2022 to come up with an electric or hybrid version is another matter. At the moment the Macan is Porsche's best selling model. If that starts to change in the coming years then Porsche might bring forward its replacement date. If people keep buying relatively high performance SUVs with ICE power then I'm sure Porsche will be happy to sell them.

My crystal ball is a little foggy at the moment so we'll just have to wait and see.
That is my point.

The EV platform is here, it has been in development by Audi for quite some time.

There is no way it should take Porsche 4 years to design and fit a Macan mark 2 body on an eTron platform.

The EV version of a Macan should be atleast 2 years down the design route.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

After 4 years I don't see the appeal of the new car from the old one, certainly not enough to shell out the cash to replace the one I have which is just about to hit the 3 yr mark. I didn't even go to the dealer to look - there just isn't enough difference to justify a change for changings sake.

On the other hand - I'm still happy with what I have, so they must be doing something right :lol:

James
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

There won't be a face-lift Macan in any UK dealerships for a while... ;)

I know what you mean, though. I have the same thought regarding my Carrera T and the new 992 that is due out. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:22 pm There won't be a face-lift Macan in any UK dealerships for a while... ;)

I know what you mean, though. I have the same thought regarding my Carrera T and the new 992 that is due out. :)
Woh, here we go again. Is this another mammoth thread in embryo? 😉
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ha ha! No, no, Mike. Am in the same boat as James, in that a swap from my Carrera T to a new 992 (a face-lifted 991 in some peoples’ eyes) does not appeal and does not appear to be worth the cost. :)
Simon

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Juggling with the same dilemma. The downside of sticking, as I see it, is a wait of a further 4 years or so. And that looks like it will be an EV so at this moment logistically challenging.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Surely the new Macan (2022?) won’t be EV-only?

I would have thought that a version of the ‘new’ Macan would still be petrol-powered 🤔
Simon

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Whilst Porsche are predictably vague they appear to only ever talk of it as an EV.