Decision nearly made - any last-minute advice?

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
jgedwards

Post by jgedwards »

Hi, Just joined and I can see this forum is going to be very useful as I approach the world of Porsche ownership and here's my first question;
I'm going in at the cheaper end with a 'pre-owned' Macan SD. I've found one that fits the bill for essentials but want to get some feedback on the other aspects of the spec that I'm not so happy with. After deciding a Macan fitted the bill as my next car I spent a lot of time figuring out what options I wanted and then checked them out with test drives to see if they still held true. The desktop exercise narrowed me down to 3 key reqts; Air suspension, Surround View and Towbar. After testing one Macan with air and another with just PDSM I decided air wasn't essential, so could search for just SV and Towbar. Turns out neither of those are very common options and came up with just one car on the Porsche Approved list at the moment. As well as my 2 must-haves the car has a very wide range of options added, most of which are genuinely attractive and I would struggle to identify anything missing that I'd particularly want. My only concern is that neither the interior or exterior colours/spec are what I would choose if ordering new. That means I'm looking at a car that physically offers everything I want, but the look of it doesn't excite me much at the moment. Although colour can be treated as just superficial it tends to be pretty important when living with a car, so I wonder what other people's opinion might be? Exterior colour is midnight blue, it has chrome trim and alu roof rails - so nicely complemented - problem with this is just that I didn't want a dark colour. The interior is saddle brown & luxor beige two-tone full leather; full leather is definitely a positive, but unfortunately I'm not too keen on brown inside a car, even when finished to such a high standard.
So that's my dilemma. Do I go ahead and hope the colours grow on me, or do I hold back and wait for another car with this relatively rare combination of SV and towbar to turn up again in colours that I find more attractive. Having said that, I haven't seen any colours that really grab me anyway - sapphire blue is probably closest, but my wife doesn't like that! If nothing else, writing this out has allowed me to apply a bit of logic, so I'm definitely tending towards going for the one on offer. After all, if I sit back and wait I might find something else to spend the money on and never get my Macan!
Interested to hear other's views on my not-so-bad-to-have problem.
Cheers.
JohnE

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

There should be plenty of cars out there with surround view. Why not use that as your shortlisting criteria and then fit an aftermarket tow bar? It would give you far more choice I would imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I'd ask why Surround View is essential? Many of us manage perfectly well without it.

I wouldn't go for a car with a colour combination I didn't like. After deciding make and model it's the most important criterion.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
VanB

Post by VanB »

Whilst a lot of people swear by surround view I didn't have it on my Macan and didn't miss it. I agree with Nick that I wouldn't compromise on the colour as you have to live with the car and it will irritate you daily.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
ALEX

Post by ALEX »

I agree with the above, first thing you see is the outside colour and it doesn't make you smile then you open the door and you don't like the inside either, you would regret your decision everyday :(
Be patient the right one will come along that will make you :D
Ordered August 2014 Delivery
hopefully September 2015
Code PG4CGYQ2
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Each to his or her own but the only option I'd say is absolutely essential for both living with the car and resale value is the sunroof.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Welcome to the forum, John! :)

I would agree with Hawkeye above, you can have the tow bar fitted additionally, so that should widen your search too.

This is from Porsche Tequipment website (not sure it is what you are looking for and not cheap!):

Electrically extendable trailer hitch
Ball joint of towbar system can be extended and retracted at the push of a button, max. trailer load 2,400 kg (braked trailer), max. hook load 96 kg. With 13-pin socket. Part number: 95B 044 802 34 - from £1,854. Note: 13/7-pin adapter is available as an option.

Midnight blue is a lovely deep paint with sparkling flakes. But it is dark. :lol:

The interior colour would bother me more, if I did not like it. Though I did learn to live with black, that I always objected to.

Is the car too far away from you to see it in metal, photos are often misleading.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

McLovin wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:17 am Each to his or her own but the only option I'd say is absolutely essential for both living with the car and resale value is the sunroof.
A pano roof is a nice option but is nowhere when compared to PASM or air suspension. It also adds weight and cuts into headroom. On my initial SD, I must have used mine twice in all of the 6 months I had the car. If you're sitting in heavy traffic, the last thing you want is the pano roof open. If you're on the motorway, the last thing you want is the pano roof open. If you're in beating hot weather, the last thing you want is the pano roof open. If you're in freezing weather, windy weather, rainy weather...you get my drift! The amount of perfect days in the UK for use of a pano are so few and far between I can imagine the Porsche execs going, yep, sold them another great money spinner for us!

In my view, and if you're watching your funds, spec the car as to how you want to enjoy it. Not how you think someone later on down the line might view it.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome to our friendly forum, John!

So I think your only real must-have is PASM! :) As a tow bar can be retro-fitted & the vast majority of owners (including me) get along just fine without surround view. On my 2017 Panamera 4 I didn't even have the rear camera & did loads of miles in that with no issues at all, and it's a bigger car than the Macan!

My view is that exterior colour, interior colour/materials and the wheels on the car are much more crucial. ;)

So looking for an SD with PASM will give you a massive choice. Then narrow down according to mileage, price, colour/s and wheels! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome

There are four MUST HAVES in my book:-

PASM, gives the best ride and handling
Reversing camera, rear quarter view is very restricted
Xenons, standard halogen are poor
14/18 way seats, standard 8 way are unsupportive and have a very flat back.

Good luck with your search.

Do hunt out on this forum threads and read them on DPF issues that some SD owners have had.

With the SD some have obtained reasonable mpg, me, I only managed 33mpg actual, not the 36mpg that the in car MFD showed.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags