Macan GTS first service

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Paul

Post by Paul »

MikeM wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:32 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:16 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:33 pm Yep. Nowadays, Porsche can only afford to develop halo cars like the GT3, based on the profit from their bread & butter Macans, Cayennes and Panameras.
That is precisely why Porsche need to get their act together.
Rapid development of cars that will make them the cash and create better brand loyalty and compete with the market
Porsche are not looking after the bulk of their customers very well in respect of model development.
Based on their business model they are far away and above any other car manufacturer with app £14k profit per unit sold, with astronomic profits on 911 versions. It was the Boxster and Cayenne introduction that saved them and latterly Macan becoming the top seller. They remain effectively niche by comparison with a sound degree of exclusivity.

Don't think they would consider that their act is anything other than together.
I wish my act was together enough to have posted 2017 year-end profits of 4.14 billion (yes billion!) 😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:33 pm Yep. Nowadays, Porsche can only afford to develop halo cars like the GT3, based on the profit from their bread & butter Macans, Cayennes and Panameras.
Rapid development of cars that will make them the cash and create better brand loyalty and compete with the market
Porsche are not looking after the bulk of their customers very well in respect of model development.
Based on their business model they are far away and above any other car manufacturer with app £14k profit per unit sold, with astronomic profits on 911 versions. It was the Boxster and Cayenne introduction that saved them and latterly Macan becoming the top seller. They remain effectively niche by comparison with a sound degree of exclusivity.

If the profits on 911 motors are/were astronomical then surely they are the very models that Porsche would be selling more and more of them but they simply are not.

If it was the Boxter and Cayenne that saved them then again why did these save them when the 911 could not.

The Macan has been a total runaway success, of that there can be no doubt.

Have Porsche capitalized on the success by version development and developing a mark 2 and even a smaller version, No. The progress we see is snails pace and the facelifted Macan from the images seen so far is hardly going to set the motoring world on fire with delight

So yes Porsche may well have their act together but the customer is wanting to see a different play, not the same version of The Ring churned out over and over again.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:53 pm

If the profits on 911 motors are/were astronomical then surely they are the very models that Porsche would be selling more and more of them but they simply are not.

If it was the Boxter and Cayenne that saved them then again why did these save them when the 911 could not.

The Macan has been a total runaway success, of that there can be no doubt.

Have Porsche capitalized on the success by version development and developing a mark 2 and even a smaller version, No. The progress we see is snails pace and the facelifted Macan from the images seen so far is hardly going to set the motoring world on fire with delight

So yes Porsche may well have their act together but the customer is wanting to see a different play, not the same version of The Ring churned out over and over again.
Ah, you mean like the ongoing radical revisions of the 911 over the last xxx years😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Not sure Porsche need to be radical even with the bread and butter models. Go in to order a Macan and you will wait 6 to 9 months and maybe more. They don't need to offer the buyer a penny of discount and if you don't want the allocation then they simply move to the next person on the list. It's an aspirational brand for many.

Doesn't sound like they need to do much other than mildly refresh the models to keep current owners in the cycle of wanting to upgrade.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

MCDK wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:26 pm Not sure Porsche need to be radical even with the bread and butter models. Go in to order a Macan and you will wait 6 to 9 months and maybe more. They don't need to offer the buyer a penny of discount and if you don't want the allocation then they simply move to the next person on the list. It's an aspirational brand for many.

Doesn't sound like they need to do much other than mildly refresh the models to keep current owners in the cycle of wanting to upgrade.
+1. Porsche seem to have discovered the secret formula of motor manufacturing success! Vying with Ferrari to be the most profitable company in the world, per car sold. Why mess with such a successful formula?! Incremental changes to the 911 over 55 years have done them no harm! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 2325

Post by Deleted User 2325 »

I am a while away from my first GTS service but I am wondering if I can take the MCDK approach at my local eatery - take in disposable plate, cutlery, plastic glass and a lump of sirloin and see if they will just charge me for the gas used in cooking it.

I might also splash out on one of my five a day and ask them to deep fry a Mars bar for me.

;-)
happy days

Post by happy days »

MCDK wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 am The lack of stuff to sell has to be the big issue for Belfast. N Ireland is diesel country so the lack of Macan diesels has to be a killer for them, also no new Cayenne in diesel. People here can't get their heads around petrol SUVs unless they are car enthusiasts.

They will sell a decent load of 718 and 911 also to enthusiasts but again lack of new cars is a problem currently, New model 911 might bring a little flurry of sales. Guess if they were sitting down today to talk about building the new showroom the decision might be different.

Its ok though they will make up the deficits on service costs lol.
I'd bet on Karl retiring very shortly. The announcement from Porsche that they will no longer supply diesels will effectively kill off Macan and Cayenne sales in NI. Apart from the odd GTS, all Macans that I have seen on the road here are diesels. The Belfast business model has altered significantly since that announcement and after all, there are only a limited few 911 / 718 customers in NI.

If I were Karl, I'd retire safe in the knowledge that the new DP will have his work cut out with reduced turnover, and a huge new showroom to pay for. At the opening event I was talking to my SE and he had that worried look on his face when I mentioned that it was a lovely showroom, it just needed paying for now. His impression was that they would really have to up the ante to gain sales to meet the building repayments and overheads. With diesels off the market, they will really struggle, I'd say.
Macan S D
718 S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Perhaps the mid to long term plan is to put all the 'prestige' VAG brands under one dealership roof. :?:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
happy days

Post by happy days »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:16 am Perhaps the mid to long term plan is to put all the 'prestige' VAG brands under one dealership roof. :?:
Audi has a huge showroom next door and VW a quite large and well-established on in a separate part of town.
Macan S D
718 S
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

On the positive side the lack of new diesel Macans may really cut the number of Macans on the road in n Ireland. Will make us Petrol owners a lot more exclusive on the road and a rarer sight.