Really no more diesels this time?

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have read that out of the 310,000 Macans built some 100,000 have found a home in China.

Not sure the breakdown on engines but certainly in the USA zero SDs have been sold.

One thing is certain, I am glad I got rid of my SD when I did.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Colscot

Post by Colscot »

Seems strange Diesel Macans un popular when up with me in Scotland main dealer can't get enough of them and are actively trying try to buy stock offering way above book price.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I gather they’re popular in Northern Ireland too... :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Back in the mid 70s after many years of hard work my Dad ordered his first Mercedes Benz. In those days they were seen as serious status symbol as they were heavily over engineered, not very common and relatively expensive. He waited a year for it to arrive and when it did he couldn't get the smile off his face for months. But he was hooked and never drove anything else. As time when by though he realised that the brand gradually lost its cachet, the quality was no longer what it was and they were almost as common as Ford's, Vauxhall's and the like. He kept his last Merc for nearly 10 years simply because he no longer wanted to invest any more money in a brand that he no longer felt was special.

I could see the same thing happening with Porsche. They are one of the Golden Egg Laying Gooses in the VW Group and they have been set on a road to chase volume over exclusivity and while the perceived quality is still there this will erode over time in the same way it did at Mercedes, BMW and Audi. Or at least that's how it will pan out if they continue chasing the numbers. Perhaps Dieselgate and the segregation of the Sports Car brands under Porsche management will prevent them falling into that trap and see them continue to build great cars in lower numbers to maintain quality, preserve residuals and keep their core customer base coming back for more.

I was one of the few early Macan owners that ordered a Petrol S when everyone else was ordering Diesel and remember having many interesting debates over that decision and whether one was better than the other. Don't get me wrong I understand the Diesel argument, I had a Diesel Mini Cooper and currently have a Diesel SLK purely for the economy/performance benefits they offered for my daily commute. But when I ordered both of my Macans I wanted Petrol engines because in my mind that's what a Porsche comes with and after more than 4 years driving them I'm more than happy with that decision. I hope they continue to build great cars for many years to come.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

A true Porsche engine is a flat 6 and also now a flat 4.

The current V6 in the panny is a collaboration with Audi, and I guess all the other previous petrol V's also share a past with Audi . So not really a genuine full Porsche product. Just like the Diesel!!
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:52 pm I gather they’re popular in Northern Ireland too... :)
They sure are. As an aside I understand Mercedes Belfast will sell petrol SUVs but 25 miles down the motorway the customers want diesels.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Macananon wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:03 pm A true Porsche engine is a flat 6 and also now a flat 4.

The current V6 in the panny is a collaboration with Audi, and I guess all the other previous petrol V's also share a past with Audi . So not really a genuine full Porsche product. Just like the Diesel!!
...and all (V6) Macans....😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Is that the final stand on Porsche diesels then do we think? Makes sense to drop them, especially as they ramp up their EV program.
TD444

Post by TD444 »

Tom 2000 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:22 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:52 pm I gather they’re popular in Northern Ireland too... :)
They sure are. As an aside I understand Mercedes Belfast will sell petrol SUVs but 25 miles down the motorway the customers want diesels.
Maybe if you sell a Diesel Macan private, but if you bring it to Porsche Belfast it is likely to feel otherwise.....
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHN2UAS9
Order Date 16 Nov - Expected delivery ~April / May 2016
Collected Tue 3rd May
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Colscot wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:50 pm Seems strange Diesel Macans un popular when up with me in Scotland main dealer can't get enough of them and are actively trying try to buy stock offering way above book price.
I can understand that. If you are in a rural area then diesel still makes a lot of sense.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.