Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:30 pm
VanB wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:18 pm I think we will see a fair few mainstream manufacturers releasing their BEV offerings over the next few years and it will be interesting to see how they compare to the current market leader (Tesla who just made a decent quarterly profit). Tesla is a proven product whilst the I-Pace and other newcomers are not and will not be for some time.

Appreciate you posting your thoughts and photos, Guy. Thank you.
Interesting indeed, particularly as Tesla have now slipped out of the US satisfaction charts. Upping production and cashing in on the back orders has clearly impacted on quality. But is there anyone able to capitalise?
I don't know what charts you've been looking at, but Tesla quality has been generally improving over the last year. Plenty of discussion about it on the owners forums and those trading up from earlier models usually comment how much better the newer ones are built, both Model S and especially Model X.

Deleted User 1874

jesim1 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:23 pm I said I would give a quick update on driving the Tesla Model S after I had it for the past 24hrs - and it's probably getting lost in this thread of the Ipace, but it's part of my experience from the Ipace test drive and still relevant to anyone who has been following this.

So over the past 24hrs I've had a £90k Tesla Model S P100D on loan as I have been shopping about to see if it's worth changing my 3 year old Macan SD.

I had tried the Ipace, and at £65k with a range in real life of closer to 200 miles than the advertised 300 it concerned me about the range and network availability to charge it, plus it just does not feel like £65s worth. I then tried the Tesla Model X P100D, it was too big for what I want, very noisy on the motorway, a bit cumbersome, and with a £95k price tag just did not feel like a £95k quality car.

This leads me to the last trial - the Model S P100D.

This was by far the best EV I have driven so far, it felt like a "proper car" with good performance and the obvious instant acceleration you get from an EV. None of the noise that I experienced in the Model X was there, and with good handling and a comfortable ride it's the only one I would consider as it also had a real 300 mile range and access to the Tesla charging network. I only did about 140 miles in it of mixed roads and probably about 5 hours driving. I took it to the tip - as you do, and also shopping so I could get to know what it was like to live with, which is more important than it's 0-60 in real life. It is spacious inside and has a big boot, but is still fairly low for me and my old knees, which is partly why the Macan and it's SUV shape is a nice place to be.
Back-tracking a little, I finally got to test a Model S 100D today while my Model X is in for its first routine service. Contrary to your experience, I'm finding the S loaner I have slightly more noisy than my Model X (both are on standard wheels, tyres). But the S does have smoother ride quality (actually exceptional on our bumpy back-roads) and sharper handling for sure. The latter I expected, but the ride quality was a surprise. Interior quality is not as good though, generally feels a bit cheaper in terms of both finish and materials and I'm missing the panoramic windscreen and far better premium sound system in the X. But still a very similar overall feel. It's made me quite excited about the prospect of a more compact Model 3 Performance.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:37 pm
VanB wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:18 pm I think we will see a fair few mainstream manufacturers releasing their BEV offerings over the next few years and it will be interesting to see how they compare to the current market leader (Tesla who just made a decent quarterly profit). Tesla is a proven product whilst the I-Pace and other newcomers are not and will not be for some time.

Appreciate you posting your thoughts and photos, Guy. Thank you.
Interesting indeed, particularly as Tesla have now slipped out of the US satisfaction charts. Upping production and cashing in on the back orders has clearly impacted on quality. But is there anyone able to capitalise?
I don't know what charts you've been looking at, but Tesla quality has been generally improving over the last year. Plenty of discussion about it on the owners forums and those trading up from earlier models usually comment how much better the newer ones are built, both Model S and especially Model X.
I’ll see if I can find it.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Amongst others...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn. ... index.html
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Volvo came last! Blimey! :shock:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Amongst others...

Consumer Reports seem to have an ongoing love/hate relationship with Tesla. But I'm not a big fan of those type of "owner" reports in general. The actual owner forums are a better source of info and are more in line with Tesla's response to that survey:-

Tesla countered that, as for the Model X SUV, quality is not currently an issue, according its own figures.
"While the earliest production Model X cars encountered some quality inconsistencies, this is simply not a concern for Model X cars being built today, and it hasn't been one for quite a while," a Tesla spokeswoman said.

FWIW, my Model X has been faultless over the first 13K miles. But there are certainly inconsistencies when you read other people's experiences. Some do look like trolls though! It's also worth noting that there are few show-stopping drivetrain/battery issues with Tesla. It's mostly first world issues reported, like the infamous Model S door handles (an easy update fix) and Model X rear door sensors (long since updated). Also numerous minor software bugs, although the overall UI is pretty awesome and updates come thick and fast. I prefer that than most automotive software that's literally years behind the curve.

The iPace would have to be pretty awesome to beat the overall Tesla experience. Tesla have set the bar higher than some people think, including myself! The Tesla service centre at Heathrow is a slick operation too and quite honestly puts Porsche Towcester to shame. Which to be fair is not all that much of an achievement!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:13 pm
Dandock wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Amongst others...

Consumer Reports seem to have an ongoing love/hate relationship with Tesla. But I'm not a big fan of those type of "owner" reports in general. The actual owner forums are a better source of info and are more in line with Tesla's response to that survey:-

Tesla countered that, as for the Model X SUV, quality is not currently an issue, according its own figures.
"While the earliest production Model X cars encountered some quality inconsistencies, this is simply not a concern for Model X cars being built today, and it hasn't been one for quite a while," a Tesla spokeswoman said.

FWIW, my Model X has been faultless over the first 13K miles. But there are certainly inconsistencies when you read other people's experiences. Some do look like trolls though! It's also worth noting that there are few show-stopping drivetrain/battery issues with Tesla. It's mostly first world issues reported, like the infamous Model S door handles (an easy update fix) and Model X rear door sensors (long since updated). Also numerous minor software bugs, although the overall UI is pretty awesome and updates come thick and fast. I prefer that than most automotive software that's literally years behind the curve.

The iPace would have to be pretty awesome to beat the overall Tesla experience. Tesla have set the bar higher than some people think, including myself! The Tesla service centre at Heathrow is a slick operation too and quite honestly puts Porsche Towcester to shame. Which to be fair is not all that much of an achievement!
You could also argue that forum members tend to comprise the converted (a bit like US political campaign meetings) having more than average interest in the product so possibly having a more forgiving perspective or being more proactive in solving issues.

It was interesting to read the rationale regarding continuous updates and the issues that created which would appear to run contrary to the philosophy. And that’s rather like Ferrari’s recent experience.
Deleted User 1874

You obviously haven't been on Tesla forums! It would be hard to imagine a more critical bunch, but they do tend to enjoy the overall experience despite much bickering. There is some savage trolling too!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Latest test by WHAT CAR? magazine pitches the Jaguar I-Pace EV400 SE against the Tesla Model S 75D......

https://www.whatcar.com/news/new-jaguar ... e=20181117
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col M

Post by Col M »

Interesting summary and how high a poluter an EV is in Poland

Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble