EV range: real v claimed

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Not my preferred daily read but I was browsing Apple news...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/7787935 ... ar-ranges/

Like mpg inasmuch as it’s no surprise that there’s a difference but some figures are more imaginative than others.

I think the biggest shock is that the WLTP figures are so wildly out. So are they any improvement?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Paul

Post by Paul »

I saw this too; I can’t believe manufacturers would manipluate their range figures to improve sales...😉😂😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:50 pm I saw this too; I can’t believe manufacturers would manipluate their range figures to improve sales...😉😂😂
😂😂. I can’t believe the new all-embracing state-of-the-art testing regime is so open to abuse! 😳. Makes one wonder why Porsche have taken so long to get their approvals. 😉😂. It’ll be interesting to see the figures!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Was just going to post about fuel consumption then read this. The fuel gauge on my GTS is criminal. It drops from estimated 250 to 200 miles (approx example) within the first 10 miles of driving (even if not driven hard).
Never been too bothered over mpg and wont be trading in any time soon but the gauges are a joke and this is probably the most uneconomical modern car I have owned.
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
VanB

Post by VanB »

Totally agree Hedgehog - the GTS is a guzzler for sure and the fuel/range gauge is a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Have to agree... GTS very heavy on fuel.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
johnd

Post by johnd »

Dandock wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:53 pm I think the biggest shock is that the WLTP figures are so wildly out. So are they any improvement?
Over what? Without context it's difficult to comment. The short answer for EVs specifically is that WLTP is typically a definite improvement over NEDC but not as good as the US EPA range estimates. I think most users agree that EPA is a fair estimate for typical usage, but typical usage doesn't include batting along at 70-80mph or more on a motorway when range starts to drop more sharply, just like it does for most ICE cars.

One answer AIUI about WLTP estimates for EVs is that the range is estimated under highly standardised conditions, ie with no ancillaries like lights, aircon etc running and on dry roads with no head/tail winds etc. The idea I believe is to remove many of the external variables from the estimate and to focus specifically on the intrinsic range of the vehicle. So in a sense WLTP is effectively an estimate of the maximum range that users might typically see, but this is always going to be an overestimate unless the conditions are specially favourable.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:34 pm Have to agree... GTS very heavy on fuel.
How heavy?

Mt Turbo have averaged about 22mpg over the past two years with a highest of just over 30mpg
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Pretty much the same 22 mpg running with a light right foot, running on the super unleaded which also makes a difference roughly 10p a litre difference than normal 95, adds around £ 7.00 difference at fill up, however I’m sure the upgrade I made had a impact on fuel consumption sunroof, 21s , 18 way seats. And the heavy spare 18 inch wheel. Although consumption is a individuals driving technique. Big shock coming from a equally powered diesel car.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Hedgehog wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:48 pm Was just going to post about fuel consumption then read this. The fuel gauge on my GTS is criminal. It drops from estimated 250 to 200 miles (approx example) within the first 10 miles of driving (even if not driven hard).
Never been too bothered over mpg and wont be trading in any time soon but the gauges are a joke and this is probably the most uneconomical modern car I have owned.
I'm going to go out on a limb here....your fuel gauge is not simply a stick which reads the level in the tank. The car's onboard systems will calibrate your range depending on a whole range of factors. It's no fluke that if you sit the car at 60mph on a clear motorway your range data starts to increase. My S, on a quarter tank may still show 100 + miles to empty after a motorway journey. Once in London traffic...that number will be smashed to pieces!!

Equally, it's no fluke that if you're in a 2 tonne SUV with a 3 litre twin turbo petrol sitting in front of you in stop start heavy traffic, where occasionally you accelerate in Sport out of frustration (please don't lie...everyone does it!), your range data will fall because your fuel consumption will be heavier. Sorry to break that all to you! :lol: