Jaguar I-Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
muxty

Post by muxty »

Col M wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:31 pm Interesting summary and how high a poluter an EV is in Poland

Just plain stupid conclusion regarding co2 for the I-Pace. When he does that comparison he compare it to a gasoline car where fuel seems to appear in the tank out of magic. If you consider pumping up the oil, refining and transportation etc it's a complete different story. That does require a vast amount of energy.

I can't get my head around how these comparison continue to appear. Of course petrol appear in the tank automatically without any energy consumption in the process. LOL :D

johnd

Post by johnd »

muxty wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:29 pm Just plain stupid conclusion regarding co2 for the I-Pace.
Hmm, is that something of an overreaction? IIRC the point being made was the contrast between running an EV such as an I-Pace in France (with CO2 equivalent @15g/100km) where presumably much/most of the generation is nuclear with that in Poland where most generation seems to be coal (maybe lignite still?) to give the 150 figure.

That strikes me as a perfectly valid point - how effective an EV is in environmental terms (if that's what's important to you, rather than eg acceleration or driving characteristics) will depend hugely on how electricity is generated in your home country. Hopefully Poland will become greener sooner rather than later, but right now Poland might not be a prime market for EVs, compared to eg France, UK, Norway etc.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
johnd

Post by johnd »

Not sure where else to post this, but here might be as good as anywhere and the I-Pace does get a mention. If you have an hour (at least in total) to spare there's an interesting and wide-ranging conversation with Robert Llewellyn on the present state of EVs especially in the UK and Europe and touching on many related topics (and a few unrelated ones too).

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Trailor for a 55 minute programme that is available on Amazon Prime all about the design and testing of the Jag iPace.

Must admit after watching the programme I am impressed by the Design and Engineering that has gone into producing it.

Started 2014 and on the road mid 1018, which is certainly far more impressive than other manufacturers seem to be achieving.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Those full sized, clay models always amaze me. I used to be a Contractor for JLR and remember seeing an X-Type Estate at the Whitley site, in brown clay. Couldn't believe the skill involved?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

johnd wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:42 pm
muxty wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:29 pm Just plain stupid conclusion regarding co2 for the I-Pace.
Hmm, is that something of an overreaction? IIRC the point being made was the contrast between running an EV such as an I-Pace in France (with CO2 equivalent @15g/100km) where presumably much/most of the generation is nuclear with that in Poland where most generation seems to be coal (maybe lignite still?) to give the 150 figure.

That strikes me as a perfectly valid point - how effective an EV is in environmental terms (if that's what's important to you, rather than eg acceleration or driving characteristics) will depend hugely on how electricity is generated in your home country. Hopefully Poland will become greener sooner rather than later, but right now Poland might not be a prime market for EVs, compared to eg France, UK, Norway etc.
John

Your question is precisely what is consistently failed to be addressed.

The video content is trying to address that but there are still to many ifs and buts.

The one good thing about an EV is that its local air pollution is vastly reduced, its actual air pollution is at the electricity generation source where systems sould be in place to minimise atmospheric emissions.

I would love to see the full lifecycle emissions of an EV compared to an equivalent ICE vehicle.

That said the whole EV ethos is to reduce pollution in our towns and cities
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:18 am

Trailor for a 55 minute programme that is available on Amazon Prime all about the design and testing of the Jag iPace.

Must admit after watching the programme I am impressed by the Design and Engineering that has gone into producing it.

Started 2014 and on the road mid 1018, which is certainly far more impressive than other manufacturers seem to be achieving.
Not that impressive, Col, if they ultimately impose closures and layoffs because they’ve not got their financial planning in order. Seems to me as if they’ may have thrown money at getting the project to market without consideration of the potential consequences.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:23 pm I would love to see the full lifecycle emissions of an EV compared to an equivalent ICE vehicle.
There have already been several lifecycle comparisons. Here's a fairly recent independent study:-

https://www.transportenvironment.org/pr ... lectricity

The general consensus now is that EV lifecycle emissions are significantly lower and it's more a question of exactly how much, which ranges from <20% to >80% reduction depending largely on the mix of grid electricity. Germany and Poland are usually cited as the worst places to own an EV due to their predominantly coal powered grids, but even there most recent studies (like the one above) still show EVs are significantly better overall.

Only biased ICE sponsored studies tend to go against the grain - along with the usual click-bait misreporting from the gutter press.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Not the I-Pace (though it does make a guest appearance) but what is presumably part 1 of the FCS I-Pace/Kona/Leaf European road trip from back in September. Shame it's not 4WD but well worth a view for anyone interested in EVs.

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 pm Not the I-Pace (though it does make a guest appearance) but what is presumably part 1 of the FCS I-Pace/Kona/Leaf European road trip from back in September. Shame it's not 4WD but well worth a view for anyone interested in EVs.
Well it makes our Diesel Qashqai look like the sluggish noisy dinosaur it really is! Although far from sexy, the Kona shows how an efficient EV drivetrain craps all over a traditional small turbo diesel in this class. With its instant throttle response I would bet this would feel as quick, if not quicker than a Macan SD or base petrol driven in standard auto mode. While I can understand the reluctance to move away from a high performance 6 or 8 cylinder petrol ICE, moving away from a mundane rattly turbo diesel is not so difficult! When people catch on they certainly won't want to go back. Which reminds me we really need to get rid of our Qashqai! This Kona would be a great alternative and light years better to drive. Except we don't really need another crossover, so hanging on for the Model 3 next year as a second EV.