PASM and 21

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

GMAN75 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:49 pm
nozydog wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:40 pm
Teids86 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 pmGiven that I have ordered the new 2.0t, I don t think that It will give me the ability to adopt a sporty driving style justifying pasm

Air suspension looks interesting but a pretty expensive option... I reside in Switzerland and roads are pretty good around here. I will be able to try the new Macan as of next week and I have until beginning of jan to make any modifications.
Not sure why you think this.... 245hp isn't a low powered car, just not quite as quick as the V6 Macan S. And 'sporty' driving is more about agility than outright power! In fact, having the lighter lump up front should actually make for sharper turn in and less 'dive' on braking!! I've been told the 2.0L engine is around 50kg lighter! Try picking up a box weighing that much... I very much doubt you'd be able to!!

I am tossing up between the 2.0L and the V6 S and apart from the sound, I'm thinking the lighter engined car may be more fun to drive!
I can see where you're possibly going with this, but it doesn't take 100hp to shift 50kg! The performance differential of the two, including on the track, is stark.
Someone has now corrected me and said the difference is actually 95kg!!

But yes, obviously the straight line performance will be noticeable (though only stark when you floor the throttle!!) I never suggested the 4 pot would be as quick, but as most Macans bought will simply be daily drivers, spending much of their time in the daily commute, is that extra 100hp necessary! What I’m saying is for me at least, the agility & turn-in is more important than straight line pace and most enthusiasts will agree with this!! 95kg less weight up front is bound to make for noticeably sharper turn-in and a more agile drive! And how many Macans will ever see a track really!?

I totally get that most Porsche enthusiasts (rather than badge buyers) will want the 6 pot and knowing me I may well go that way, but I currently drive a 340i 6 pot and I only use the top end of the power band less than 1% of the time!

I guess it depends what you call a ‘fun’ car, is it one that’s very fast in a straight line or one that just handles that bit more sharply.... I’d go with the latter, but it’s horses for courses!
Last edited by nozydog on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Can someone pleaaaase correct the “ans” in the title to the correct “and”?! It’s driving my OCD bonkers 😅
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Paul wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:37 pm Bit about PASM here....

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7986&p=166824&hilit=PASM#p166824

Your salesman hasn’t quite grasped the concept.....😂
Yea, your dealer is an idiot.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Nosydog.

Have you driven any Macans?

Early 2.0 litre were gutless wonders that struggled to keep pace with a Passat bluemotion, I know this for sure because he floored it at 50 and I floored it. Cr4p car to drive and in a traffic light GP start a Beamer 118D accelerated at the same rate as the Macan.

Later 2.0 litre engines have 20 bhp more and are better to drive but still way underpowered.

Lets get real a Macan is a two tonne SUV and not a sports car so any expectation of great handling v any sports saloon is not going to happen. A Macan handles well when compared to other SUVs.

Drive an S and the difference between that and a 2.0 is large and between the 2.0 and a Turbo is colossal.

There is also readons why PASM is standard on GTS and Turbo models, it makes a reasonable handling Macan a much better handling Macan and it improves the ride quality dramatically.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

nozydog wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:08 am
nozydog wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Not sure why you think this.... 245hp isn't a low powered car, just not quite as quick as the V6 Macan S. And 'sporty' driving is more about agility than outright power! In fact, having the lighter lump up front should actually make for sharper turn in and less 'dive' on braking!! I've been told the 2.0L engine is around 50kg lighter! Try picking up a box weighing that much... I very much doubt you'd be able to!!

I am tossing up between the 2.0L and the V6 S and apart from the sound, I'm thinking the lighter engined car may be more fun to drive!
I can see where you're possibly going with this, but it doesn't take 100hp to shift 50kg! The performance differential of the two, including on the track, is stark.

But yes, obviously the straight line performance will be noticeable (though only stark when you floor the throttle!!) I never suggested the 4 pot would be as quick, but as most Macans bought will simply be daily drivers, spending much of their time in the daily commute, is that extra 100hp necessary! What I’m saying is for me at least, the agility & turn-in is more important than straight line pace and most enthusiasts will agree with this!! 95kg less weight up front is bound to make for noticeably sharper turn-in and a more agile drive! And how many Macans will ever see a track really!?

I totally get that most Porsche enthusiasts (rather than badge buyers) will want the 6 pot and knowing me I may well go that way, but I currently drive a 340i 6 pot and I only use the top end of the power band less than 1% of the time!

I guess it depends what you call a ‘fun’ car, is it one that’s very fast in a straight line or one that just handles that bit more sharply.... I’d go with the latter, but it’s horses for courses!
I once said I knew where you were going. I don't anymore! LOL! Here's the thing, the 2.0 litre is great around town and for pootling about. No doubt. Same size, no stress, increased fuel economy, whatever. So, if you're happy with that...great. However, don't go off by saying straight line isn't everything and that the 2.0 litre has a noticeably sharper turn in and a more agile drive! It doesn't. I've driven both the 2.0 and the 6's on and off track. The V6 in all its variants slays the 2.0 litre on both. When you're at 60mph, I'm already 1.5 seconds ahead on track and the road! The only question the driver of a 2.0 litre gets asked on a track (and road!) is whether they want fries with their a$$ which was just handed to them on a plate! :lol: :lol:

GMAN disclaimer: This is all assuming the cars are driven on closed roads or tracks under supervision and with police approval :lol:
VanB

Post by VanB »

Orangebulldog wrote:Can someone pleaaaase correct the “ans” in the title to the correct “and”?! It’s driving my OCD bonkers [emoji28]
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

GMAN75 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:51 am

I once said I knew where you were going. I don't anymore! LOL! Here's the thing, the 2.0 litre is great around town and for pootling about. No doubt. Same size, no stress, increased fuel economy, whatever. So, if you're happy with that...great. However, don't go off by saying straight line isn't everything and that the 2.0 litre has a noticeably sharper turn in and a more agile drive! It doesn't. I've driven both the 2.0 and the 6's on and off track. The V6 in all its variants slays the 2.0 litre on both. When you're at 60mph, I'm already 1.5 seconds ahead on track and the road! The only question the driver of a 2.0 litre gets asked on a track (and road!) is whether they want fries with their a$$ which was just handed to them on a plate! :lol: :lol:

GMAN disclaimer: This is all assuming the cars are driven on closed roads or tracks under supervision and with police approval :lol:
All the above is totally irrelevant to me as I'm not a boy racer.... "When you're at 60mph, I'm already 1.5 seconds ahead on track and the road" well whoopee do for you... it's quite clear all you're concerned about is speed/acceleration!! That's fine I accept that if that's your thing :roll: but there are members on here who have downsized from S/GTS to 2L who say it steers better! You telling me that having 15 stone less weight over the front will make no difference at all says a lot!
Teids86

Post by Teids86 »

Orangebulldog wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:14 am Can someone pleaaaase correct the “ans” in the title to the correct “and”?! It’s driving my OCD bonkers 😅
Done :)
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

nozydog wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 pm
GMAN75 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:51 am

All the above is totally irrelevant to me as I'm not a boy racer.... "When you're at 60mph, I'm already 1.5 seconds ahead on track and the road" well whoopee do for you... it's quite clear all you're concerned about is speed/acceleration!! That's fine I accept that if that's your thing :roll: but there are members on here who have downsized from S/GTS to 2L who say it steers better! You telling me that having 15 stone less weight over the front will make no difference at all says a lot!
Well...why else would you want a Porsche if you're not concerned about speed/acceleration??! It's like having decaffinated coffee or alcohol free beer! Sure...similar taste but no bang! :lol: Like I said, a 2 litre is fine and dandy for pootling about if you're doing the miles and are concerned about fuel. Let's be honest, the V6 drinks a bit. I pity the fools with the Turbo (Mr T said that not me!)! But, we love them because they're Porsche performance. That's where it ends. You will still get smashed to pieces on a track though.
Teids86

Post by Teids86 »

I did not know that 2.0 l vs Macan s was such a source of conflicts...

Personally I would get the S if it was not for road taxes. Here in Switzerland there is a massive difference between the 2l and the S road tax. I therefore decided on a well equipped 2l.

For now the order is as follow :

-Full leather pack
-Carbone interior pack
-21 911 turbo design wheels
-Panoramic sunroof
-Power steering plus
-PDLS plis LED Matrix
-Tailpipes in silver
-Window side Trims in Aluminium
-Front and Rear bumper in Stainless steel (would prefer only the rear though)
-Rear and front parking assistance (camera only at the rear
-Storage Pack
-interior lighting pack
-Red Seat belts
-Heated seats
-Privacy windows
-DAB radio
-BOSE sound system
-Apple car Play
-Electric seats with memory pack
-Digital clock and compass
-Automatic side mirrors with dinning function

Not sure yes on
PASM
Porsche sport exhaust: did anyone try it on the 2l ? Is it worth it ?

Really excited to receive my first Porsche :)