Macan 2.0 T vs Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

" FFS I don't even push the Qashqai to its limit".

There's a phrase you don't hear everyday! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd pay a few quid to sit in the front row for that!

nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Paul wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:31 am All this talk about marginal weight differences and on the nose handling between engines does make me chuckle a bit😉.

Add in just one one of my mates at, say, 85 kg, a full tank of fuel at 75 kg (don’t forget the bigger tank is a “must have”😉,) a sun-roof with its’s centre of gravity up in the clouds at, say, 25 kg, the “must have” spare wheel with associated tools and not forgetting the bose amp and all of a sudden you’re approaching 200kg just by following the optional extra advice freely given on this forum😂

The vast majority on here (myself included) won’t have the skill, experience or opportunity to get anywhere near the limits at which these, very marginal, differences will be noticed😳

Anyone experiencing front end understeer in a Macan on UK roads really needs their licence revoking.
I guess the reason I'm interested in this weight difference issue is that I'm planning a lightly optioned Macan later next year! I don't do many miles (7500/year) so don't need a big tank, I don't like sunroofs, wouldn't pay for Hi-Fi upgrade & hardly ever carry passangers. "Why a Macan then?" I hear you ask... well, I occasionally need to lug a lot of gear around & I have a dog! I love Porsches and always have done, owned a Cayman for a year which just wasn't quite large enough (if only Porsche made something in between the two rather than sports cars, huge saloons & SUV's) I'll definitely add sports seats, slightly larger wheels (nice low centre of gravity) and a few other 'low weight' options... I was quite shocked by how much metallic paint adds to the weight over solid, I assume it's all those little flakes!!

I love the way a well balanced car feels & handles and have owned a few BMW 3 series with near 50/50 weight distribution. This is why I'm so interested in the 2L with 95 kg less weight up front to balance the car better! 0-60 in 6.5 secs is 1970's supercar performance and as Peteski has already said even this type of performance is quite capable of losing your licence in the blink of an eye, or killing somebody!! The most enjoyable thing about driving for me personally is the way a car steers and goes round corners and if it takes just over a second longer to get to national speed limit I'm really not bothered. Sure I'll probably test drive a 2L & think hey this is pretty good, then pull away in an S and think hmmmmm this sounds better & goes better... but at least I'll be able to make a much more well informed decision after discussing it with you guys and test driving the cars!
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

+1 😀
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am " FFS I don't even push the Qashqai to its limit".

There's a phrase you don't hear everyday! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd pay a few quid to sit in the front row for that!
Oh yeah, with local road knowledge and a bit of racing experience I've harassed many a supercar around the Silverstone back roads in shopping trolleys like the Qashqai :lol:

The Tesla is interesting as it seems to attract "racers" like a magnet. In the summer on the classic event weekend I had a nice 964 Turbo trying to show me the way home, but he sensibly backed off after a few corners when he realised I wasn't getting any smaller in his mirrors. It was almost sad being able to follow an iconic 911 effortlessly in a 2.5 tonne 7-seater SUV! Have to say my own classic 911 feels slow these days, but it's pretty nimble and rides well. See plenty of Macans locally too and I have to say you all seem like a very sensible bunch! Not like those Audi RS and M3 hooligans :lol:
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

nozydog wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:29 am
Paul wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:31 am All this talk about marginal weight differences and on the nose handling between engines does make me chuckle a bit😉.

Add in just one one of my mates at, say, 85 kg, a full tank of fuel at 75 kg (don’t forget the bigger tank is a “must have”😉,) a sun-roof with its’s centre of gravity up in the clouds at, say, 25 kg, the “must have” spare wheel with associated tools and not forgetting the bose amp and all of a sudden you’re approaching 200kg just by following the optional extra advice freely given on this forum😂

The vast majority on here (myself included) won’t have the skill, experience or opportunity to get anywhere near the limits at which these, very marginal, differences will be noticed😳

Anyone experiencing front end understeer in a Macan on UK roads really needs their licence revoking.
I guess the reason I'm interested in this weight difference issue is that I'm planning a lightly optioned Macan later next year! I don't do many miles (7500/year) so don't need a big tank, I don't like sunroofs, wouldn't pay for Hi-Fi upgrade & hardly ever carry passangers. "Why a Macan then?" I hear you ask... well, I occasionally need to lug a lot of gear around & I have a dog! I love Porsches and always have done, owned a Cayman for a year which just wasn't quite large enough (if only Porsche made something in between the two rather than sports cars, huge saloons & SUV's) I'll definitely add sports seats, slightly larger wheels (nice low centre of gravity) and a few other 'low weight' options... I was quite shocked by how much metallic paint adds to the weight over solid, I assume it's all those little flakes!!

I love the way a well balanced car feels & handles and have owned a few BMW 3 series with near 50/50 weight distribution. This is why I'm so interested in the 2L with 95 kg less weight up front to balance the car better! 0-60 in 6.5 secs is 1970's supercar performance and as Peteski has already said even this type of performance is quite capable of losing your licence in the blink of an eye, or killing somebody!! The most enjoyable thing about driving for me personally is the way a car steers and goes round corners and if it takes just over a second longer to get to national speed limit I'm really not bothered. Sure I'll probably test drive a 2L & think hey this is pretty good, then pull away in an S and think hmmmmm this sounds better & goes better... but at least I'll be able to make a much more well informed decision after discussing it with you guys and test driving the cars!
I suspect for you it will all come down to the sound and refinement of the 2.0 vs 3.0 rather than outright straight line performance. My only worry with the 2.0 would be the stress of it in a big SUV like the Macan. I can't help feeling that a 3.0 V6 is more in keeping with the size class with more effortless torque etc.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Funrider wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:11 am (attempting to lighten the, unusual for this forum, rather acrimonious tone of this thread)....

Front end understeer is easy to avoid: just stay away from
“ the five UK cities with the most roundabouts are Milton Keynes, East Kilbride, Swindon, Basingstoke and Cwmbran. Milton Keynes has 130 roundabouts but the number is growing all the time.” (Google)

....after a rain shower lubricates the spilt diesel from truckers 😵😵.
Milton Keynes is my favourite - all those roundabouts linked by dual lane roads.😈
My local Swindon is safer - stationary, confused visitors at Magic Roundabout
Thanks for promoting my home town to a city! Quite right too! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

nozydog wrote: ...
Boom! This is it ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ !!!

I currently ride 435i coupe... 3.0 straight 6, twin turbo, 240kW rear wheel drive in a small body car... 50/50 distribution, but! I have never raced against the GTI or RS, I have never even used a launch control!? I changed tyres after 40’000 km and the tyre salesman told me that I must be driving like a granny! I enjoy precision engineering, ride quality, handling, torque and power band, all beautifully integrated. I ride enthusiastically but responsibly... and for that I NEED Macan S.

If you don’t need the torque and the power, but still enjoy well handling SUV get a 2.0 and use the money for more important to you options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
pmg

Post by pmg »

I actually drove both an existing Petrol S and a 2.0T within the last 6 months as part of a decision about whether to wait for a facelift S or order one of the early facelift 2.0Ts. I did not notice any handling difference. I did notice a considerable difference in drivability and refinement. The 2.0T had a bad turbo lag around 1500 revs that made driving in heavy traffic awkward. The S was just ultra smooth, no noticeable lag and wonderfully easy to drive whether quickly or in slow traffic. The new S may lose a turbo if reports are correct and hence the difference in lag may be reduced. However, on balance, I decided to wait for an S
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

What you experienced in the 2.0 was almost certainly not ‘turbo’ lag, but a hesitancy in the gearbox drive take up. It might have been just that example too, due to past style of driving and so a PDK reset may have fixed it. Could be worth trying a new 2.0 demonstrator.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

What you observed is that:

Macan 2.0 with GTI engine delivers 370 Nm of torque at 1,600 rpm, which is decent on a small car, but given the 1,800 kg Macan weight and all wheel drive overhead, it results in a noticeable hesitation.

Macan 3.0 will allegedly have S4/S5 engine that delivers 450 Nm at 1,340 rpm, which compensates for the overhead and gives you the very smooth and decisive acceleration in diff traffic conditions.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4