Transfer box - Survey of members

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:38 pm GTS
December 2016
3500 miles

New transfer box to be fitted next week.

I have only noticed on occasion when on lock that I get a little hop, skip jump from the back.
No other issues noticed. Drives like a dream.
Whilst in for a service A couple of weeks ago I asked OPC to check the transfer box as I had this minor issue on some occasions with this skipping on lock. They could of easily brushed it off and said nothing wrong and I would have been fine with it.
But I have to say I was impresssed with their honesty and said yes it needs a new transfer box which has been ordered.
And this is a modified box (stops the water getting in which apparently causes the issue)
I am not sure if anyone with a replacement modified transfer box has had the issue again? The early transfer box replacements were not modified from what I have been told.
I think it would be a good idea for anyone who has had a transfer box replaced to check the part number to see if it’s the modified version or not.

I will update once fitted and if I notice any changes.
That little skip has nothing to do with your transfer box. It's tyres breaking traction in certain types of conditions when manoeuvring very slowly on full lock. Suggest you have a chat with your guys before they rip out something that may not need replacing in the first place...especially given the low mileage.

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:09 pm
Kasfranks99 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:38 pm GTS
December 2016
3500 miles

New transfer box to be fitted next week.

I have only noticed on occasion when on lock that I get a little hop, skip jump from the back.
No other issues noticed. Drives like a dream.
Whilst in for a service A couple of weeks ago I asked OPC to check the transfer box as I had this minor issue on some occasions with this skipping on lock. They could of easily brushed it off and said nothing wrong and I would have been fine with it.
But I have to say I was impresssed with their honesty and said yes it needs a new transfer box which has been ordered.
And this is a modified box (stops the water getting in which apparently causes the issue)
I am not sure if anyone with a replacement modified transfer box has had the issue again? The early transfer box replacements were not modified from what I have been told.
I think it would be a good idea for anyone who has had a transfer box replaced to check the part number to see if it’s the modified version or not.

I will update once fitted and if I notice any changes.
That little skip has nothing to do with your transfer box. It's tyres breaking traction in certain types of conditions when manoeuvring very slowly on full lock. Suggest you have a chat with your guys before they rip out something that may not need replacing in the first place...especially given the low mileage.
If there is a modified transfer box then I want it fitted to be honest. It’s modified for a reason and from what I have been told the modified version was well after mine was built.

I always thought this skip was related to tyres etc but I doubt they would say there was an issue if there isn’t. But will check anyhow. 👍

I know of others having the transfer box replaced at under 1000 miles so mileage is not the issue.
GTS 😀
CamGTS

Post by CamGTS »

GTS April 2016 18k no issues
Had the usual skip since new but also had that with Volvo XC90
perfectly normal as any engineer would be able to explain
APS1

Post by APS1 »

GTS 2 years old 19,500 miles and no transfer box issue.....yet?
Macan GTS :D
Macan SD :)
Cayenne D :)
Sandy Tyres

Post by Sandy Tyres »

Petrol S 3yrs old, transfer case changed at 15000 miles 2yrs 11 months
Hardworkaardvark

Post by Hardworkaardvark »

Hi
Macan SD, November 2015, transfer box replaced at 18500 miles, current miles approximately 36500 but noticing slight slipping again. I hope it’s just the weather conditions. I was told that it had a modified transfer box. How would I know that? The dealer will say anything to keep you quite until the warranty is run out, which mine has.

Good luck in the survey.
Aldo
Ald.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Petrol S 2014. Symptoms at 21,500 miles. OPC insisted that the problem was drive shafts which were replaced at a cost of £2600 but I only paid £500 of that despite the car being outside warranty.
The car was part exchanged for a new GTS a few thousand miles later.
GTS has done 5,300 miles no problems so far.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

SD Sept 15, transfer box replaced last September at 40K.
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Macan SD. Registered 03/16. Had transfer box replaced in November 18 at 40k.

BigPhil
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Just so the less enlightened of us know, what are the symptoms?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀