2019 Macan S - fuel consumption

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

My long term average in the GTS Macan was 21mpg. I never say anything approaching the late 20s in the eighteen months I owned it. From memory I got 25mpg on a run to the Silverstone PEC. The new engine might be a bit better but I cant imagine it will be a lot.
My 911 is a lot better and I now regularly get close to 30 on a bit of a run, but as the other guys say it is a lot lighter and much better streamlined.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

johnd

Post by johnd »

Rab J wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 am The new engine might be a bit better but I cant imagine it will be a lot.
This is the bit I'm interested in, ie just how much of an increment in ICE engine efficiency is it possible to make nowadays? It is AFAICS definitely a newer design of 3l engine so presumably THE prime aim of the redesign is better efficiency (including maybe also lower weight - if that's really possible; more compact dimensions (though in Macan it does have the same space to fit into); maybe better responsiveness).

But just how much of an improvement in efficiency is it possible to make with a complete redesign - is 5mpg on the cards or is that stupidly optimistic??
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

johnd wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:46 am
Rab J wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 am The new engine might be a bit better but I cant imagine it will be a lot.
This is the bit I'm interested in, ie just how much of an increment in ICE engine efficiency is it possible to make nowadays? It is AFAICS definitely a newer design of 3l engine so presumably THE prime aim of the redesign is better efficiency (including maybe also lower weight - if that's really possible; more compact dimensions (though in Macan it does have the same space to fit into); maybe better responsiveness).

But just how much of an improvement in efficiency is it possible to make with a complete redesign - is 5mpg on the cards or is that stupidly optimistic??
5mpg would be a 25% improvement on my figures and a 20% improvement on some of the best consumption figures talked about in this thread. I'm not sure even Merlin could do that. An improvement of 5% would be a great achievement . Another thing to consider is the negative effect the particulate filter will have. It can hardly be positive given what its trying to do, so may soak up any small improvements in efficiency of the new engine.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

Paul wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:08 pm 😊
Used by many on here, someone (apologies, can’t recall who) has it in his signature.
That will be me Paul. Been using it for years :-). Great to get an idea on fuel costs and mpg. I must say my GTS hasn't been that great on mpg but I do have a heavy right foot :D .
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
johnd

Post by johnd »

16.8mpg? Sacré bleu! You're not a diver by chance who keeps forgetting to take his work boots off?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

johnd wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:09 pm 16.8mpg? Sacré bleu! You're not a diver by chance who keeps forgetting to take his work boots off?
When I was thrashing a Turbo around the PEC tracks after the session I looked at the fuel consumption on the MFD.

:D

9 mpg

:twisted:

Definately had lead boots on that day.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

johnd wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:30 am But for someone without too heavy a right foot and a mix of longer and shorter journeys, what the the prospects of achieving 25+ mpg real-world? Tricky to answer I know, but opinions welcome.
I suppose 25+ is possible, I never achieved that or even tried, I doubt the revised S V6 will be much different, this photos shows the best I ever achieved over a reasonable distance in my S, think it was Euro non-stop cruise. In almost 10,000 miles, my S averaged 24.5 on the PCM, probably 22/23 in reality.

IMG_9002.jpg

My SD long term was higher, but not great for a diesel.

IMG_7508.jpg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
VanB

Post by VanB »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:03 pm
johnd wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:09 pm 16.8mpg? Sacré bleu! You're not a diver by chance who keeps forgetting to take his work boots off?
When I was thrashing a Turbo around the PEC tracks after the session I looked at the fuel consumption on the MFD.

:D

9 mpg

:twisted:

Definately had lead boots on that day.
Col,

I didn't think it registered until it got to 10 mpg or does it vary from car to car? Alternatively I am just stupid in that my display is alway -.-- until 10 mpg is achieved.

In the Macan consumption always started at 30 something mpg and steadily dropped until finding equilibrium at c 21 mpg
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB

I had no idea of any limitation, it just showed 9 mpg after an hour of thrashing.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
happy days

Post by happy days »

My 718S starts at 10 mpg upon startup and then rises until it settles. The Macan (from old man memory) starts at 50mpg and drops steadily until it settles.
Macan S D
718 S