In search for the best 2.0l tuning.... My list of choices

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Pivot wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:23 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote:
Pivot wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:12 pm If I wanted to tune my car, it would be after 10’000km run-in.

I know, modern engines are pre-run-in, but I would want to settle all components, before exposing them to excessive forces.
No, actually they’re not pre run in. I don’t want to start yet another debate about running in, but it never ceases to amaze me how this myth persists. I think it’s often peddled by sales folk who tell customers what they want to hear.

I’ve seen Porsche petrol engines being assembled at Zuffenhausen and the first time the engine is fired up is when the cars roll off the production line. They are run very little at the factory and are usually delivered with about 15 miles on the clock, so they are most certainly not run in.

You are right though to ‘settle all the components’ before stressing them. Note what Porsche advises in the manual.
Yes, I was told that the engines are pre-run-in on a test harness, before fitted to a car, however for me that is not entirely correct and I would run-in the old fashioned way. Besides, all other components need to settle anyway.

On my other performance cars, I knew that the vehicle was run-in when the fuel consumption reduced and stabilised. That was surprisingly at 10’000 - 15’000 km.
Yes, I noticed that once in particular with a diesel engined car, the fuel consumption kept improving up to 12000 miles before levelling out.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Paul wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm ☹️
The UK forum seems pretty much against the 2.0L (minority decision but fairly vocal,) and tuning chips or bypass boxes are also fairly rare - forum wise - in the UK......
I test drove the 2.0 recently and was blown away by it actually! Barely felt any slower than my current 6 pot 340i, mostly thanks to the sublime pdk. Also the lighter nose (140 lbs lighter!!) makes turn in quicker and it really felt beautifully balanced!! I will probably order one later this year... SUV's like this don't need to be ridiculously fast and most GTS/Turbo owners have only bought them for bragging rights and probably rarely if ever drive them to their full potential (cue derisory comments) :lol:

According to independent tests the 2.0 will do 0-60 in 6.3 seconds (official 0-62 time being 6.7 but they tend to be understated) which is 1970's supercar performance!! How fast do you want to go on public roads in a car like this! You still get the amazing build/engineering/interior so unless you're a real racer the bigger engines don't make sense to my mind!
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:07 pm I think that I am being got at ....... in the nicest possible way !

:D
Never, Col. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

nozydog wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:19 am
The UK forum seems pretty much against the 2.0L (minority decision but fairly vocal,) and tuning chips or bypass boxes are also fairly rare - forum wise - in the UK......
I test drove the 2.0 recently and was blown away by it actually! Barely felt any slower than my current 6 pot 340i, mostly thanks to the sublime pdk. Also the lighter nose (140 lbs lighter!!) makes turn in quicker and it really felt beautifully balanced!! I will probably order one later this year... SUV's like this don't need to be ridiculously fast and most GTS/Turbo owners have only bought them for bragging rights and probably rarely if ever drive them to their full potential (cue derisory comments) :lol:

According to independent tests the 2.0 will do 0-60 in 6.3 seconds (official 0-62 time being 6.7 but they tend to be understated) which is 1970's supercar performance!! How fast do you want to go on public roads in a car like this! You still get the amazing build/engineering/interior so unless you're a real racer the bigger engines don't make sense to my mind!
I too drove one but can't agree with your sentiments. The engine lacks the torque and you need to rev the nuts off it. My point on a car like this, why get into a Porsche Macan utilising a 2 litre when you are best served in another VAG vehicle using the same engine but releasing better performance?

I'd get your 340i looked at if you think its performance is on par! You're at 5.5'ish for 0-60 in that! :lol:
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The 2.0 litre Macan is a good car (damn I am sickening for something again). :(

However it is not the car for everyone. :!:

Bragging rights about owning a Turbo or GTS has zilch to do with it.

Its all about how the car drives.......... :D

Speed and accelerationn aside, a Turbo is just plain effortless to drive. :D :D :D :D :D

No drama.

No long push of the throttle before anything happens. :o

No effort.

The smile factor :D is off the scale :D each time I drive mine :D

:?: :?: :idea: :idea:

OK you 2.0 litre owning or buying folks its hands up time, who has actually driven a Turbo?

:geek:

If you have not driven a Turbo then you cannot possibly know that they are in a different league to a base variant, its a fact that a drive will show as obvious.

My last statement is true for me, I hope yours is true for you.

Its like the difference between a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla S, both are EVs so they are the same right?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
macanapb

Post by macanapb »

I have talked to my Porsche sales guy when purchasing the 2.0 Macan and he also said that the power was voluntarily limited by Porsche in order not to get too close to the performance offered by the S...However the car is lighter and feels very agile. I agree with your comments on Power being available at High Revs...Hence considering the remap, which should improve that. 300 bhp in this car with 440 NM of torque (basically very much like the GTI or S3) coupled with the PDK sounds wonderful. Also my previous car was a GLA 45...so I am a big fan of boosted 4-cyl. engines. I am talking to JFA as they are quite good apparently with VAG engines. Anyone has used them?
Last edited by macanapb on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

macanapb wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 am I have talked to my Porsche sales guy when purchasing the 2.0 Macan and he also said that the power was voluntarily limited by Porsche in order not to get to close to the performance offered by the S...However the car is lighter and feels very agile. I agree with your comments on Power being available at High Revs...Hence considering the remap, which should improve that. 300 bhp in this car with 440 NM of torque (basically very much like the GTI or S3) coupled with the PDK sounds wonderful. Also my previous car was a GLA 45...so I am a big fan of boosted 4-cyl. engines. I am talking to JFA as they are quite good apparently with VAG engines. Anyone has used them?
That would be a great remap if possible. Considering this thing only develops 242bhp and 370Nm of torque, getting up above 300bhp would be interesting.
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

GMAN75 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:27 pm

I too drove one but can't agree with your sentiments. The engine lacks the torque and you need to rev the nuts off it. My point on a car like this, why get into a Porsche Macan utilising a 2 litre when you are best served in another VAG vehicle using the same engine but releasing better performance?

I'd get your 340i looked at if you think its performance is on par! You're at 5.5'ish for 0-60 in that! :lol:
Nothing at all wrong with my 340i... I suppose what I'm getting at is that I virtually never find the need to use the engines full potential. And yes you do have to rev the 2.0 Macan, but that's why I found it so engaging a drive... the whip-crack fast pdk makes it so easy to find the power band!!

Obviously it's horses for courses and I do get the sentiment that a Porsche should have more cylinders and for many buyers (Col being one) the 4 pot is simply not an option, but then I felt like that until I drove the 2.0

As for your question "why get into a Porsche with a VAG engine etc?"... Simples...
1) Build quality
2) The lighter front end (over the Macan 6 pot obviously)
3) The superb pdk - no other VAG tranny will do quite the same job!!
4) The drive - as we all know, no other VAG SUV will handle like a Macan!!
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

macanapb wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 am I have talked to my Porsche sales guy when purchasing the 2.0 Macan and he also said that the power was voluntarily limited by Porsche in order not to get to close to the performance offered by the S...However the car is lighter and feels very agile. I agree with your comments on Power being available at High Revs...Hence considering the remap, which should improve that. 300 bhp in this car with 440 NM of torque (basically very much like the GTI or S3) coupled with the PDK sounds wonderful. Also my previous car was a GLA 45...so I am a big fan of boosted 4-cyl. engines. I am talking to JFA as they are quite good apparently with VAG engines. Anyone has used them?
I think you are referring to a Golf R not a GTi as the GTi has similar power/torque to the Macan 2.0!! (unless you refer to a boosted GTi engine) The S3 does come standard with 300HP
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:17 pm

The 2.0 litre Macan is a good car (damn I am sickening for something again). :(

However it is not the car for everyone. :!:

Bragging rights about owning a Turbo or GTS has zilch to do with it.

Its all about how the car drives.......... :D

Speed and accelerationn aside, a Turbo is just plain effortless to drive. :D :D :D :D :D

No drama.

No long push of the throttle before anything happens. :o

No effort.

The smile factor :D is off the scale :D each time I drive mine :D

:?: :?: :idea: :idea:

OK you 2.0 litre owning or buying folks its hands up time, who has actually driven a Turbo?

:geek:

If you have not driven a Turbo then you cannot possibly know that they are in a different league to a base variant, its a fact that a drive will show as obvious.

My last statement is true for me, I hope yours is true for you.

Its like the difference between a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla S, both are EVs so they are the same right?
I absolutely agree Col, a car costing £25-30K more will offer substantially more performance and put an even bigger smile on ones face! I suppose all I'm saying is it's horses for courses and, as you say, the 2.0 is a good car... handling, pdk, build etc etc and I found that it will suit my needs! I'm glad you're loving your Turbo! (My 'bragging right' comment was said with tongue firmly in cheek!!) :D