Seat Swap?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
porscot

Post by porscot »

Hi, I am new to this forum as I do not have a Macan but considering getting one.

Would anyone know if it is practical to upgrade the seats in a used model? I'm asking from the perspective of whether it is technically practical to do rather than if it financially makes sense, as that could be whole different debate. :) I would prefer full leather interior so wondering if I need to rule out cars with half leather / alcantara seats or if I could swap in better front and back seats from a breakers.

From checking the parts diagram it looks like there are many different wiring harnesses for the front seat base and backrest but I am assuming they are part of the seat leaving the connector to the main wiring harness the same? If that is the case would the computer in the car need to know the seats had been changed?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Regards
Graeme

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

porscot wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:00 am Hi, I am new to this forum as I do not have a Macan but considering getting one.

Would anyone know if it is practical to upgrade the seats in a used model? I'm asking from the perspective of whether it is technically practical to do rather than if it financially makes sense, as that could be whole different debate. :) I would prefer full leather interior so wondering if I need to rule out cars with half leather / alcantara seats or if I could swap in better front and back seats from a breakers.

From checking the parts diagram it looks like there are many different wiring harnesses for the front seat base and backrest but I am assuming they are part of the seat leaving the connector to the main wiring harness the same? If that is the case would the computer in the car need to know the seats had been changed?

Regards
Graeme
When you say full leather do you just mean the seats in full leather as opposed to door trims and dashboard? If you mean just the seats then I am sure they could be re trimmed in leather but it would be cheaper just to buy a car with leather in the first place. No shortage of secondhand Macans.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Anything is possible but the caviat is at what cost.

The seats themselves are one thing but as you state the wiring harness will need a lit of work and the labour costs would no doubt be rather high. Good luck finding anything at a breakers, 75% of all Porsches ever built are still on the road (or in museums).

Do not rule out partials, everything that matters in a partial is leather, to see what is what look at a Macan with garnet interior and you will see what is leather being the garnet colour plus top dash and gear stick gaitor which are also in leather.

Far better to create a wish list of your own Must Haves and look only at Macans with those features.

As an example my own minimal Must Haves would be:-
14 way seats
PASM
20” wheels
Xenon or LEDs
Reversing Cam
PS+
Spare Wheel
Connect+

And if course the specific Macan variant that you are interested in, but do note that GTS and Turbo’s do have inclusions which are extras in the Base, SD or S variants.

Do also note that what were extras in early Macans became standard in mid 2016, ie rear seat heating zone, mobile phone connection, SatNav.

In reality the first line of my signature has a slightly more extensive list of extras, which certainly on the forum are probably found in many members own Macans.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

porscot wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:00 am Hi, I am new to this forum as I do not have a Macan but considering getting one.

Regards
Graeme
You'll find it easier and a WHOLE LOT less hassle and money just buying the spec you want in the first place. I reckon finding the seats you want at the breakers will be harder than finding them in an actual car for sale. This is an insane idea, forget it!
Guy

Post by Guy »

Here's some: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Porsche ... SwX7JbI5wi

I reckon an afternoon's work to fit for an average DIYer :lol:
andreas

Post by andreas »

Peteski wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 pm This is an insane idea, forget it!
I have to agree!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Guy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:08 pm Here's some: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Porsche ... SwX7JbI5wi

I reckon an afternoon's work to fit for an average DIYer :lol:
Wow that's cheap for what they are!!
porscot

Post by porscot »

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I did laugh when one reply thinks it is an insane idea because they would be so difficult to find and the next reply 14 minutes later quotes the set I had spotted and thinks it is possible and definitely DIY effort. Not bad for a first post that I could get such diverse and polarised opinion!

I'll stick with my preferred option of looking for a car with desired spec but if anyone is able to answer the original question of whether different seats would work without wiring changes (other than unplugging old and plugging in new) or coding them that would be appreciated.

Regards
Guy

Post by Guy »

porscot wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:12 pm Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I did laugh when one reply thinks it is an insane idea because they would be so difficult to find and the next reply 14 minutes later quotes the set I had spotted and thinks it is possible and definitely DIY effort. Not bad for a first post that I could get such diverse and polarised opinion!

I'll stick with my preferred option of looking for a car with desired spec but if anyone is able to answer the original question of whether different seats would work without wiring changes (other than unplugging old and plugging in new) or coding them that would be appreciated.

Regards
It's well worth checking out the US Forum as they are much more ambitious with DIY that us Brits. I would imagine that SW 'coding' of new seats would be required; at the very least you would be fitting new airbags and other safety systems that would otherwise throw up cautions on the databus. Over on their forum you'll find some useful recommendations about software/reset tools that interrogate the Macan electronics at various levels.

I linked to that 'Leather Interior' set because I had the seller saved on my eBay account, having noticed that there were a few pieces at reasonable prices from a Macan Turbo that he was breaking. If out of warranty I would definitely look for cost effective options for any mods (or repairs) that I wished to make.

I get the impression that most on this forum are in a position where they can throw money at a problem, rather than applying a little research and some relative basic engineering skills to seek the desired outcome.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and lets hope we can have some more DIY threads as our cars get older! :D
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

porscot wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:12 pm Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I did laugh when one reply thinks it is an insane idea because they would be so difficult to find and the next reply 14 minutes later quotes the set I had spotted and thinks it is possible and definitely DIY effort. Not bad for a first post that I could get such diverse and polarised opinion!

Regards
The fact that you even have to ask the question says it all. But let's assume you actually know what you're doing and you get all the right parts etc. Are you expecting this car to have a Porsche warranty? Because I can pretty much guarantee that this will invalidate it. Just something else to consider.