Wiper scratch

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

Having not used the car for a couple of weeks, the windscreen was a little dirty. On getting in, I operated the screen wash/wiper to clean.
To my horror, after this I noticed a curved scratch about 4 inches long on the screen. Its on the driver's side and right in my line of vision. It is definitely a scratch - very thin, very shallow but very noticeable. There must have been a hard piece of dirt/stone stuck in the wiper blade.

Anyway, what's done is done, so the question is - how do I remedy it?
Would Autoglass fix it (with one of their smart repairs) under my insurance, or do they only do flying stone chips? They certainly don't do non-insurance jobs, as I found out when I phoned them about something else last year.

Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

If it is a light scratch then they may be able to polish it out, otherwise it is a new screen.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

You will need a professional glass polisher with the correct paste and pad and thermometer. I know because I have had the same removed from my Cayman. Lots of buffing and checking temperature to ensure laminate in glass does not distort - but it will remove a light scratch. Good luck!
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

Thanks.
Who did you get to polish out the scratch?
Was it a local company to you, or a big windscreen company like Autoglass?

I assume (?) that if a polish is not successful, I can go down the replacement route?
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

stallturn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:52 pm Thanks.
Who did you get to polish out the scratch?
Was it a local company to you, or a big windscreen company like Autoglass?

I assume (?) that if a polish is not successful, I can go down the replacement route?
It was a a local professional to me:

IMG_4105.JPG

IMG_4106.JPG

Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

:lol: For a minute there, I thought that was "before" and "after" pictures of your "scratch"!! :lol:
GTS \o/ - sold :(