Flat Battery.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have been laid up for a few weeks and hence the Macan has been in the garage for all the time I have been laid up (6 weeks).

Went to it today and pushed the button to open the doors and zilch, nothing, no clunk, tried the doors and the front two were open.

Turned on the ignition and nothing.

OK so no problem, open bonnet and jump start, err no, front end is tight against the rear wall and I cannot get to the release lever.

Lets now try the rear hatch to get to the battery, err again no, hatch will not open, rear doors are also locked and I cannot climb over.

Call Porsche assist and 20 minutes later they are here, the Tech climbs into the boot and removes spacesaver and covers attached their power pack and the Macan starts and I drive it out of the garage.

He tests the battery and it shows that it will not hold a charge so I say that I can jump start it with a battery that I have if needed so I sign his docket and he departs.

So at the moment I have it on my own charger to see if it holds charge.

So take heed and get a trickle charger installed if you are going to lay up your car for any lengthy period.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I am surprised it went totally dead in that time. Was it totally locked down?
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Hopefully your battery is OK. I had a flat Audi battery a couple of years ago - same problem with car not getting used. After a charge it has been fine ever since.

Hope you are feeling better too. :)
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Hopefully you are ok. Being laid up for 6 weeks doesn't sound like the common cold.....
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Paul

Post by Paul »

Not doubting your or the AA man’s word but for a battery to completely die after only 6 weeks and subsequently not hold a charge would be extremely unlucky and uncommon.

Consider all the used car lots up and down the UK, auction houses etc etc; cars regularly sit for a comparable length of time with no issues.

More likely (as I discovered with my old Cayman) is that the system shuts down after 3 or 4 weeks. All it takes is a double blip (unlock / lock / unlock) to reset......

PS - good luck with the hip; my father was playing golf 2 months after his op👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Good to know about the "system shutdown".

Our Audi had been started a few times over Christmas just to get moved and the battery didn't have a chance to recharge.

Batteries are not cheap nowadays. I was going to say £200 but knowing Porsche probably £500 :D
VanB

Post by VanB »

A quick google says a shade under £200 but not from Porsche so you could well be right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Ctek charger / conditioner now order, should be with me tomorrow.

Hence this will not happen again.

I should have got one before the layup but there was just so much that I was doing there was not time to do anything and this weekend was the first that I have been mobile enough to do anything.

All I have had done is a hip replacement Op but there is no way I could be playing golf in 8 weeks PO as per Paul’s Dad, not that when I used to play golf it could be called playing, more like hacking.

At least if the charger does not work then I do have a spare battery that I have often used to jump start my neighbours Beamer that I can use.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Just a word of caution/experIence with the CTEK.

I have a 2014 Cayman and a 2016 Macan which both do fewer than average miles and can both be left standing for several weeks at a time. Both vehicles have their original batteries. The same CTEK charger is used on both vehicles individually when the batteries need a 'boost'.

With the Cayman - no issues at all. The battery takes charge and holds charge well.

With the Macan - after a couple of weeks(in colder weather) the car enters some kind of 'save battery mode' so interior lights don't work etc. ie saving power for the engine start. In this mode the CTEK will not get past the first step of the 1-7 charge lights. Turning the ignition on/off makes no difference. When this happens I need to start the car and leave it for a few minutes then switch off. The CTEK when now connected will charge the battery fully and progress through to stage 7(fully charged) after 4-5 hours.

So, don't be surprised if the CTEK does not get past Step 1. You may need a power pack to get the car started. (Porsche Assist) if the 'double blip' doesn't work. I have not yet tried the 'double blip' to confirm that resets the system to accept the CTEK but hopefully that will work!
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

How are you connecting the CTEK to the Macan?
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8