Flat Battery.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Went out to the car this morning, totally flat door would not unlock, double blipping did not open door.

Had to resort to using the emergency key to open the door that then turned out to be another problem, I removed the dummy insert and put the emergency key into the keyway and turned it as far as I could and nothing. There was no way that I could turn the key far enough to unlock the door. I then had to get a small pair of pliers to grip the end of the key to exert enough force to open the lock, so much force that I feared that I was going to shear the head of the key off.

So you may wish to periodically test the operation of the door lock on your Macan using the emergency key, since an emergency key is pretty useless if you cannot get it to open the lock without also having to carry a small pair of pliers with you.

Anyway the lock opened and I popped the bonnet and put my electrical meter on the jump start terminals and measured 6v, so I have given up on being able to recover the battery.

Rang Porsche (lack of) Assistance and they advised because it is a flat battery they would send out a Tech to jump start the car but would not recover it to my OPC, I have escalated it to the Service Manager at my OPC who has involved Porsche GB.

So it is now a case of wait and see.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Seems to be quite a common occurrence lately, discharged batteries.

I use my Turbo for short A road journeys (5 mi there and 5 mi back) during the week. Once I left the parking lights on all day by mistake at my station car park. I then had low battery warning every time, until I took the car for a long journey. I was very surprised, thought this would only happen with old cars.

Whilst the battery was low, the driver's window was playing up and so was the memory function.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The Tech arrived to jump start the car and once he departed I switched it off.

Now waiting for the Recovery that Porsche Assistance have now initiated to come and collect the car so the intervention by my OPC and Porsche GB has worked.

Whilst he was here the AA Tech said that battery issues was a pretty common call out for them particularly so with VAG cars, so be advised to keep a watchful eye on yours.

Stay tuned for the next not so thrilling installment.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

CharlesElliott wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:23 pm How are you connecting the CTEK to the Macan?
Through the 12v socket in the centre console.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Update (last of the day, promise).

13:30 Rang Porsche Assist to say nobody from the vehicle loan company had been in touch, they said that they would chase the, up.

13:40 Recovery vehicle arrived but they did not come with a jump start power pack, only a small pack only just large enough for them to power on the ignition.

So the guy phoned the office only to be on hold for 20 minutes waiting for his call to be answered, 30 minutes later another AA guy arrived with a power pack and the Macan was started, they put it on the tow truck and off they went.

Meanwhile the loan company had left a message on my house phone to contact them to arrange a time for delivery, rang them and arranged for a 5 series to be dropped off before 18:00, an hour later they rang back to say would I be OK with an SUV as they had a Toyota Land Cruiser, so I said OK.

17:45 it arrived OMG it is enormous.

CF85E948-0F65-4093-9682-B78823700D97.jpeg

99C4E83C-943A-49F5-8DC5-DC707E2AD6F6.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Interested to hear your test drive report on that thing.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

B737NGWS wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:01 pm
CharlesElliott wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:23 pm How are you connecting the CTEK to the Macan?
The 911 doesnt have any 12v sockets, so I bought a trailing one and hard wired it directly to the battery. When not in use it dangles in the frunk and can be brought back out past the wipers to conect it to the CTEK when needed.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Rab J wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 pm
The 911 doesnt have any 12v sockets, so I bought a trailing one and hard wired it directly to the battery. When not in use it dangles in the frunk and can be brought back out past the wipers to conect it to the CTEK when needed.
No doubt the positive trailing lead has a fuse in it close to the battery?

My 911 has a 12v socket in the passenger footwell.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 pm
Rab J wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 pm

No doubt the positive trailing lead has a fuse in it close to the battery?

My 911 has a 12v socket in the passenger footwell.
Yes I made sure it was as safe as possible. Hard wired, not crocodile clips to drop off, a fuse and a cover on the socket to stop something inadvertently shorting it out. Have you a smokers pack Van or have i just missed the passengers footwell socket?
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

In the past when I have had a car not being driven I have just run the engine for about 20 minutes each week sitting on the drive. That kept it fine with no need to charge it