Flat Battery.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Rab J wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:47 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 pm
Rab J wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 pm

The 911 doesnt have any 12v sockets, so I bought a trailing one and hard wired it directly to the battery. When not in use it dangles in the frunk and can be brought back out past the wipers to conect it to the CTEK when needed.
No doubt the positive trailing lead has a fuse in it close to the battery?

My 911 has a 12v socket in the passenger footwell.
Yes I made sure it was as safe as possible. Hard wired, not crocodile clips to drop off, a fuse and a cover on the socket to stop something inadvertently shorting it out. Have you a smokers pack Van or have i just missed the passengers footwell socket?
Ah, trailing lead installation sounds good! :)

I don't have the smokers pack, and I don't know if Van does either.

The 12v socket is listed in the standard features list for the Carrera GTS. You must have seen it when diligently vaccing out the interior, surely. :roll: :lol:
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

VanB

Post by VanB »

Yes I have the smokers pack so there is a 12v socket there
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi Col,

Sorry to hear about your hip replacement. It does explain some of your posts about lower back pain over the years. I hope you achieve both a pain free full recovery and restored mobility as well.

At least with your loan car you can wander off into the desert confident of getting back and being able to sit in full sunshine with the air con happily coping with anything this planet can throw at it :D . They do say the Land Cruiser is the SUV for someone who really needs an SUV. Mind you it will be necessary to dial back your overtaking expectations compared to the Macan by several orders of magnitude.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Ian.g wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:47 pm In the past when I have had a car not being driven I have just run the engine for about 20 minutes each week sitting on the drive. That kept it fine with no need to charge it
Not recommended by Porsche - better for engine if you 'drive immediately' apparently.
steve w

Post by steve w »

Col Lamb
I’ve had a C-TEK/PORSCHE CONDITIONER plugged into my 911 cigarettes lighter socket for months over the winter and it’s been fine without having to do anything else.
SteveW
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

B737NGWS wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:23 pm
Ian.g wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:47 pm In the past when I have had a car not being driven I have just run the engine for about 20 minutes each week sitting on the drive. That kept it fine with no need to charge it
Not recommended by Porsche - better for engine if you 'drive immediately' apparently.
I don't think that is anything to do with the engine. That is just how not to pollute the environment. The engine is fine idling from start - at least I hope so because that is what I do in the winter to defrost the car.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

It is poor practice and does potentially damage the engine. The engine will be running rich when cold and this can result in dilution of the oil with petrol. It also prolongs the warm-up period thereby exacerbating the problem. It's the reason Porsche and other manufacturers advise against it, not because of the environmental issues.

Thieves love the practice as they have all they need for a quick getaway!

It's also illegal if done on the public highway.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

Surely as is the case all any vehicles any battery can be used on a Macan as long and it's the correct capacity and physical size, obviously quality counts, look for one with a decent warranty. I completed a net quick search and found prices starting at £130. Operating temperatures above and below those specified by the manufacturer dramatically reduces battery life, one of the benefits in moving a battery from the engine compartment to the boot. Temps around the 20 deg C mark are usually classed as healthy for battery life, how often in the UK are temps anywhere near 20 deg C.....
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold
happy days

Post by happy days »

718S with no smokers pack has 12v socket in passenger footwell too.
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

RickZ wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:49 am Surely as is the case all any vehicles any battery can be used on a Macan as long and it's the correct capacity and physical size, obviously quality counts, look for one with a decent warranty. I completed a net quick search and found prices starting at £130. Operating temperatures above and below those specified by the manufacturer dramatically reduces battery life, one of the benefits in moving a battery from the engine compartment to the boot. Temps around the 20 deg C mark are usually classed as healthy for battery life, how often in the UK are temps anywhere near 20 deg C.....
I assume that you have not looked at a Macan battery.

It is located under the floor in the boot and it is huge, and very long, not the sort of thing you could readily pickup at Halfords.

Then it is not as simple as just replacing the battery since everything is computer controlled a lot of systems need resetting.

When I started mine just before I positioned it for being loaded on the transporter, fault after fault appeared on the screen not to mention that PS+ was not working and heaving the steering around full lock to full lock and having to shuttle the car backwards and forwards to get the Macan out of my odd shaped drive was no joke.

Now back to the CTek battery maintainer, I did order a cigar lighter plug additionally to the charger unit just in case any of the power sockets remain live when the ignition is off.

Whilst I have not tested it some of the sockets are only supposed to remain live for about 30 minutes on turning off the ignition. I will test mine out and report back when I get the car back.

Driving the Toyota Land Cruiser yesterday was certainly an eye opener but more on that after I have driven it some more, strictly in Driving Miss Daisy mode of course.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags