New Macan S MPG?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

If they still made Macans that used the 'fuel of the devil' Mr Cat, I would not be posting about MPG!! It would be a no brainer. I would get one in a heartbeat!

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

That is quite a mix on your shortlist.

As it is I was parked near a Velar yesterday, it looked considerably bigger than my Macan. It is not a car that I have driven but if you are considering JLR cars then the FPace, iPace and ePace are worth a look at if you have not done so.

One thing is certain is that the quality of materials will fall short when comparing other cars to a Macan, I had a good look over a new facelifted Macan yesterday and corners have not been cut. Another thing is that the ride quality (even with 21” wheels) will be far better in a Macan just as long as it has PASM, air suspension would make the ride (and handling) even better.

Another tip, if you do choose a Macan then do test drive one with as near a spec to yours as possible with regard to seats, suspension and wheel size.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

Thanks Col - All have 4 wheel drive and 5 doors with decent boot for a wheelchair plus luggage - that is the key common ground.

Totally agree about top build quality and materials on Macan - just a shame about fuel consumption with fuel prices forecast to rise

Missus can't get into the F-pace at all - seats are higher than Velar for some reason - and the materials, build quality and tech in Jags is woeful at present -- they are like 1990s Friday-afternoon cars.

Jag have just upgraded the XE as a result of widespread criticism, and it gets MUCH better reviews now (ain't seen it myself yet) - but they don't do a 5 door XE, so it's out.

The XF estate should be upgraded likewise later in the year, I will looksee then if it comes out in time. So it's hanging onto the list. Present version has no chance - so old fashioned and cheap inside.

Velar is a big thing for our twisty Devon roads - and very pricey if you spec it right - so is lower down the pecking order - unless a good deal is offered.

The audi A7, E-Class estate and Macan have impressed us the most so far - E-class is like a magic carpet ride - and great tech - but due for upgrade in 2020 - and boring in styling and colours etc.

The Audi S7 will come in next few weeks - V8 diesel rocket!! But sadly it has the slow Audi-Tiptronic gearbox - IMHO that is bordering on dangerous when pulling out into traffic unless you have it permanently in sport+. Press the pedal, count to 3 while it thinks, and then hold onto the rocket once it decides to lunge forward.

So the Macan PDK is close to top choice - along with A7 S-tronic options..

Thanks again guys...
T4LGO

Post by T4LGO »

How about a BMW X3 M40D if you want extra MPG.. they are swift and very nice.. but a Macan S is far better.. if thirsty .. I think the cost of ownership over 3 years with fuel included will be less with Macan .. mpg is more psychological..
Kermit the Mamba Green Macan S .. http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIFXUV9
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

smoothound54 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:47 pm Col...

Other cars on our long-list are (sorry but you did ask)

Audi A7 quattro 55 tfsi and the A7 40 tdi quattro too - both have the S-tronic box (the tiptronic on the bigger A7 diesels is rubbish)

Both practical 5 doors, mild hybrid and shedloads of tech. Even the little 2litre oil-burner does 7 secs to 60, tops 155 (500nm torque), and gets 45+ MPG. I drove the petrol 55tfsi and that was rapid and smooth - was showing 33MPG on the computer - a bit iffy over potholes, but it had 21" wheels - same engine family as the Macan S

possibly the Ausi SQ5 tdi if it comes out in time.

also considering the merc Eclass estate 4matic 400D, the GLE coupe if it comes out in time and The GLC coupe which is expected in UK next month
(We have a C-class estate at the mo and love it - but it's a tad boring).

The RR Velar 300 or 275 V6 diesel (missus only just get's in so could be a risk)

The XF estate diesel 4X4 300bhp V6 - due a facelift which should be a hike in interior quality and tech - later this year

also... the new Cayenne Coupe looks Ok but i reckon too high for missus (shame)

we could ave just reached panamera until the recent price hike pushed it right over the edge

So far, I think the main candidate is the A7 quattro - some good deals around at the mo.

Side step/running board allows Mrs Bennachie to jump in like a young gazelle..............She too has issues which is why the 981 (proper) Cayman S went..........
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

Thanks T4LGO - BMW used to be my go-to car - loved them to drive.... but (for me) inside and out they look really dated now even though still good quality and functional etc (personal taste I know)... for me, BMW have taken the 'evolution' rather than 'revolution' philosophy to the stage where they have stood still design-wise for a few years now - being left behind.. (IMHO).

And for me, MPG is just a figure to add into a spreadsheet to allow full cost comparison - with a little ecological thrown in. It's the decision cchoosing between apples and bananas that is the emotio-psychological part - the facts and figs just inform that to a degree..

Thanks Mr B, she tried the auto-step on a Range Rover Sport and it worked perfectly - easiest car by miles for her (3k option) - but the auto-step on the Velar was different - too narrow for her to use safely - and actually hindered access since it forced her to stand too far away - she managed without it anyways so not needed for Velar if air suspension is specced . The RR sport is too big and very pricey when specced well - so it kinda dropped off the list.

She now says she would happily use a small plastic step to get into a Cayenne Coupe (based on looks alone)!! ... She already does that for our son-in-law's X5 but she's a bit shakey doing it - A bit too risky for me. ... and for me, Cayenne also too big for our needs - but it has me thinking..... lovely looking thing in coupe guise.
Last edited by smoothound54 on Fri May 17, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:51 pm My average is 36mpg, but then it is the fuel of the Devil. :roll:
Snap - fast, fabulous and frugal.
:twisted:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hi and welcome Smoothound54

I had a 2011 model Merc C250d AMG estate and then a 2014 Merc E250d AMG coupe. My Macan is a 2017 SD and is of a much higher quality, has the super refined 3.0d 6-pot, rides superbly on PASM, has the higher driving position - giving better visibility - in comparison to both of my previous Mercs.

Do take a Macan S out for an extended test and see for yourself.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If you want to add a huge amount of ecological data about a Porsche then that is simple but very difficult to actually quantify in terms of finances.

76% of all Porsche cars every built are still in existence.

That is considerable better than any other marque by a huge margin.

So factoring in whole life energy use in construction, transportation, use, recycling etc then the amount of petrol used must surely become insignificant.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
RAA

Post by RAA »

Have had my new 2019 Macan S for exactly 2 weeks now. Yesterday, I drove up to Peterborough from here in Surrey, at a steady 52 mph on cruise control on the M25 and A1(M) to see what I could achieve: I hit an average of 40 mpg at one point, but at the end of the journey it had come down to 37 mpg. Coming home this afternoon with cruise control on 62mph , it also averaged 37 mpg. Driving into and out of London on Thursday, it only achieved 25 mpg !