My First Porsche - but which one!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 pm I would add a reversing camera to your list.

Rear quarter vision is poor and every bit of help is well worth it, less common is Surround Cam which is even better, especially if you have to squeeze into and or out of tight spaces.

PS+ is the variable assist power steering which progressively reduces to zero assist at road going speeds. Its not really necessary if one never parallel parks/ drives into and out of parking bays but if full lock is required it does lighten the load so do try Macans with and without but as it is software and you or your Wife find the steering heavy when parking or moving off it is easily sorted.

Do also include Xenon lights, the standard Halogen in earlier models was pi55 poor.

DPF is a strange one as there is no reason why some suffer and some do not despite doing short journeys only. Some have been so bad Porsche has taken back the cars so I would suggest only buy an SD if a buy back guarantee is included. Talking of SD you will find that in Comfort mode (Sport button not lit) the gear change is a bit sluggish and a long push of the throttle is required, put it in Sport and it transforms the car. In fact in the SD I had Sport was by far better for town driving and I only used Comfort when out of town or Mway cruising.
Good shout on the Xenons (if not LED's), they were NOT standard on the Macan, unless you would also consider a used Turbo (and GTS?).
And many people made the mistake just assuming that Xenons were standard at this price point.

I would not go for a diesel engine if only needed a car for short, town journeys. Just does not make sense nowadays.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

steve w

Post by steve w »

TJP40
Personally I’ve had two Macans,a S and a GTS,both brilliant but because we don’t need the full 4 seats we’re presently running a 911 991.2 C4S and this is in another league to the Macans,if you are considering a true sports car then have a test drive in a 911 you’ll be smitten,Guaranteed.
SteveW
happy days

Post by happy days »

The 718 and Macan are completely different beasts. Only you will know what you really want.

BTW, I wouldn't get worried about the negative comments on the sound of the F4 vs the F6. It's usually journalists who make those comments. The F4 has full torque available at 1950rpm whereas the F6 needs to be screaming its head off for the full beans to be distributed. (Mind you, the sound is nice). In real drivers terms the F4 is extremely usable a daily driver basis.

Don't forget that the cayman and Boxster have an acoustic element that transmits noise into the cabin using the rear bulkhead as a big speaker, but that can be disabled by pulling a fuse in about 10 seconds. It reduces the drone in the cabin and makes it sound 'real'.
Macan S D
718 S
bompey

Post by bompey »

It wont help you at all but having had a Macan Turbo first I then got a Macan GTS. This has been joined by a Boxster 981 S and they go very well together.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
ashB

Post by ashB »

My first Porsche being a Macan GTS definitely ticked all the boxes being a family man. The driving experience is awesome and with the optional launch control package it puts a smile on my face. Highly recommend the Macan GTS amongst the other available specs. I wasn't sold on the 2.0 L petrol or diesel engines.

However the new model doesn't give the you the GTS or Turbo options. When you buy a Porsche you are definitely sold in for life it's an amazing piece of German engineering.

Best of luck!

Regards, Ash
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

steve w wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:42 pm TJP40
Personally I’ve had two Macans,a S and a GTS,both brilliant but because we don’t need the full 4 seats we’re presently running a 911 991.2 C4S and this is in another league to the Macans,if you are considering a true sports car then have a test drive in a 911 you’ll be smitten,Guaranteed.
SteveW
8-)

DO NOT TAKE STEVE’s ADVICE.

You want nothing to do with a 911.

Drive one at your peril.

They are low impractical beasts that should carry a Government health warning, not just for your own physical health but also for the health of your Bank balance.

I have lost track of the sheer numbers of happy contented Macan owners, owners who bissfully wafted along in serene comfort ensconced within the best mid sized SUV there is who then went on to taste THE DARK SIDE and they now have a 911.

You have been warned !!!
OK, Tongue now fully removed from cheek.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Wise words Col :oops:
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Tongue in cheek noted. ;)

Life is short, if you want a 911, get one! :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

The Macan is a great car and won't disappoint. The 911 is an exquisite car and wont disappoint.

Having owned a 981 Cayman S, Macan GTS and 911 GTS all I can say is that they are all great cars but, for me, the 911 trumps the lot (and so it should given the price!)
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
TJP40

Post by TJP40 »

I finally pulled the trigger on a 718 Cayman and today I pick it up. :-)

Up early as super excited like a kid at Christmas but still tinged with a little trepidation of having to plonk down a huge wedge of cash. Never in a million years did I think I would get to own a Porsche and over the last two weeks it has consumed me. Can't wait to drive it away. Will post pics later.

Cheers guys