My First Porsche - but which one!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

TJP40 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:10 am I finally pulled the trigger on a 718 Cayman and today I pick it up. :-)

Up early as super excited like a kid at Christmas but still tinged with a little trepidation of having to plonk down a huge wedge of cash. Never in a million years did I think I would get to own a Porsche and over the last two weeks it has consumed me. Can't wait to drive it away. Will post pics later.

Cheers guys
Congrats, Mr P! :)

We look forward to hearing about the spec and seeing your pics!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

Congrats!!! Enjoy your handover and lovely new car, it's so exciting isn't it?

We'll all be looking forward to your thoughts and pics so please take a break from driving to share a bit with us :lol:
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019
Just macan

Post by Just macan »

Welcome to the friendly forum..
Congratulations and enjoy the lovely ,and unique driving machine. 8-)
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Very exciting day today, pictures please, once you can’t drive anymore. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Nothing like the experience of getting your first brand new Porsche. Enjoy :)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
TJP40

Post by TJP40 »

WOW! What a day. Haven't stopped smiling and can't stop looking out the window at it like some weirdo!

The Car
Originally I was after a Macan as that is the sensible option but my heart yearned for a Cayman as I just couldn't walk past one without staring. After test driving one with the missus we were both sold. My budget cap and option list meant that brand new was out the question so for three months I have been searching for the 'right' car and then one turned up with almost the right spec which is as follows:

GT Silver - My preferred choice
PDK - Must have
Full leather interior in black and crayon with Crayon stitching - wanted full leather as adds that quality feel and this combo looks great with the silver
Heated seats - Must have
Front and Rear sensors with rear camera - Must have
Multi function steering wheel - Must have
PASM - Must have....at least everything I read about 20" wheels you need it!
Lane change assist - Must have for the missus!
Smoking package - Must have as that hole is plain daft!
14-way sports memory seats - Nice to have but really glad I've got it.....saves messing around changing settings after my wife.
19" Cayman S Wheels - Didn't like them....will come back to this
Folding exterior mirrors with courtesy lighting - Nice to have
Auto dimming interior & Exterior mirrors - Nice to have
Rain sensor - Nice to have
Heated steering wheel - Nice to have
Light design package - Nice to have
Power steering plus - Nice to have but after today it would be a Must have on next car....what am I saying next car!
Usual PCM with SatNav, Telephone Module, Apple CarPlay, Online services - Assume all this is standard?
Rear wiper - this was almost a deal breaker for me as it spoils the beautiful lines of the back but the missus felt I was being a knob and glad the car has it!
The best bit....car had 105 miles from new! Sadly the owner contracted a terminal illness and it just sat on their drive so they chopped it in. Their misfortune is certainly my gain.

What I would have opted for if new:
Climate control....but to be honest it hasn't been as much of a faff as I thought to keep the cabin cool so can live without
Cruise control....do limited motorway mileage anyhow so again can probably live without
Bose speakers....I honestly can't tell the difference to the standard set so can certainly live without

The car also had the ugly square exhaust and those 19" wheels just didn't set the car off. So we struck a deal once they added the chrome twin exhaust pipes and upgraded the wheels to 20" Cayman S in satin platinum with Porsche coloured crests. They also agreed to throw in some nice mats and a silverstone experience day for two. Asked for a cleaning kit too but that got rejected! I even get to keep the 19" wheels which I may have as my winter wheels or stick on ebay.

Handover
Didn't know what to expect but it was certainly exciting that's for sure! 30 minutes of boring paperwork and making that final payment! Eek. Pull that sheet off and I had no regrets whatsoever....looked amazing. Went through most of the controls but to be honest I just wanted to go for a drive!
Two criticisms.....there is a stone chip on the window that I am not happy about and amazed they let that go. Anyhow they have agreed to repair it. The second is road tax....I assumed it was part of the deal! So having to cough up another £500 was a bummer. Had I known that I would have haggled hard to get that off the price as I was at my budget limit!
The car did have a full tank of petrol though. Cool.

First impressions
Mind blown. Almost feels surreal that I own this car. Best bit....took my teenage daughter for a drive and she has been having a rough time recently stressing about A levels and when I gave the car a 'boot' she laughed with excitement and gave me the biggest smile. That alone was worth every pound it cost. Happy days.

xkZ+t2ZNS8eebvRemcsMuA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_870.jpeg

CjRUtkjjQfKBWH+hXLRl9g.jpg

Paul

Post by Paul »

Lovely looking Cayman 👍👍

(PS - I had cruise fitted a a dealer accessory to my old Cayman S ....)

(PPS - don’t boot it in the wet with a bit of lock on....unless you’ve got really good reflexes😁)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

That is one stunning looking car.

Fantastic interior so much better than all black.

No point in saying enjoy, that is a foregone definitive action.

Bet the smile lasts n lasts n lasts n lasts

PS
If you have not yet done Silverstone PEC I suggest that you do, it is well worth it just to drive on the skid pan in one of their Cayman’s
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Beautiful looking car and great choice of colour - GT silver very classy.

I'm glad you opted for a Porsche sports car as thats where most people on this forum end up.

If it's any help, the first 911 I agreed to buy was followed by two nights of 'buyers regret' as I'd never spent close to that sort of money previously. I'm glad I followed through and the rest is history as I'm sure you'll also find. Porsche make stunning sports cars with very strong residuals.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Car looks stunning, Mr P! Congratulations!

Nice review too. :)

So will you take your wife or your daughter to Silverstone PEC!? ;) (Only a dilemma if your daughter drives)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018