Turbo standard exhaust system question

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
jamesbilluk

Post by jamesbilluk »

Hi all,

Really enjoying the Turbo, I have found out either the car is very well insulated, or the exhaust is quiet, (this is the standard square exhausts)

I took it out for a drive round my favourite route today, the cold start sounded fantastic, and when higher in the rev range, when changing down it's quite hard to hear though. Just wondering, does the standard system have a valve in it?

James
2014- Macan Turbo

Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

It's subtle on mine but the change with Sports mode is noticeable.

Certainly not intrusive on long journeys either; this is by far the quietest car I've ever had.

Do you want me to say drop the original rear box and fit a pair of custom 4" tailpipes?!

The 928 with Tequipment exhaust sounded like a bomber coming in to land.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

jamesbilluk wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:50 pm Just wondering, does the standard system have a valve in it?
There's one shown in the parts diagram but there's also a note that says 'No longer use the part here', so a little confusing. I guess you could check on yours by tracing the outer RHS pipe back from the exhaust tip to where it joins the silencer box. If fitted, the servo motor is on top of this pipe close to the bend where it enters the box.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

jamesbilluk wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:50 pm Hi all,

Really enjoying the Turbo, I have found out either the car is very well insulated, or the exhaust is quiet, (this is the standard square exhausts)

I took it out for a drive round my favourite route today, the cold start sounded fantastic, and when higher in the rev range, when changing down it's quite hard to hear though. Just wondering, does the standard system have a valve in it?

James
There is a valve on all variants that opens on start up then closes down. Your car isn’t fitted with a sports exhaust and they are quiet, even with SC fitted don’t expect Boxster or 911 notes 🎼 but fitting sports exhaust tails will only enhance the look and add nothing to the sound.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

MikeM wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:40 pm
jamesbilluk wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:50 pm Hi all,

James
There is a valve on all variants that opens on start up then closes down. Your car isn’t fitted with a sports exhaust and they are quiet, even with SC fitted don’t expect Boxster or 911 notes 🎼 but fitting sports exhaust tails will only enhance the look and add nothing to the sound.
Only petrols, according to the parts diagrams, and only standard on the Turbo variants. In the standard exhausts there is one valve shown, on the sports exhaust, two.
I've heard this before about a start up valve. Where is it, and are we talking about the same thing here?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As stated there is a valve in the standard exhausts that opens on startup and it stays open until the car changes from first to second gear.

Accelerate gently at speed and it will be pretty quiet.

Floor it and you should get some growl from the system, now I am not sure if this growl is induction roar plus resonance induced within the exhaust system or if the exhaust flap is linked to the engine management system and it opens only on heavy acceleration.

Nobody that I know of has been under a Macan and disconnected the flap mechanism and opened it to see or rather hear how it sounds, a volunteer is probably waiting in the wings to come forward.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
jamesbilluk

Post by jamesbilluk »

Thanks all :)

Col, many thanks, I did wonder that with regards to the heavy acceleration, certainly does seem to get more vocal, there seems to be a nice little crack from the exhaust which isn't present in lower revs.
2014- Macan Turbo
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:37 pm As stated there is a valve in the standard exhausts that opens on startup and it stays open until the car changes from first to second gear.

Accelerate gently at speed and it will be pretty quiet.

Floor it and you should get some growl from the system, now I am not sure if this growl is induction roar plus resonance induced within the exhaust system or if the exhaust flap is linked to the engine management system and it opens only on heavy acceleration.

Nobody that I know of has been under a Macan and disconnected the flap mechanism and opened it to see or rather hear how it sounds, a volunteer is probably waiting in the wings to come forward.
I’ve often wondered if the £1700 odd PSE is merely a switch that keeps the valve open when selected.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

I find that the growl sounds better on comfort mode with heavy gas from 1st to 2nd gears with nice rasping on change of gears.
In sport mode - its louder but less rasping on change of gears however when fast slowing down - it shifts to low gears quicker giving high revs - resulting in a crackle and pop.
Gen 1 Macan Turbo in Carrera White
Air, 21” wheels ACC Pano SurCam 18w LEDs PS+, Int Light Pack
Heated Seats and Steering, Spare wheel, SC, Heat&Noise insulated
Ext Leather, Sports+ Bose+TV tuner
Std Turbo exhaust, E&Drive, Sports Design Package